tractor

viking

rite, im thinking my next project is going to be a tractor, iv been looking at a few Massey Ferguson 35's

and my mates brother has a Nuffield 6 cylinder for sale so thinking about buying that,

does anyone else own tractors like this, whats the deal with driving them on the road, what entitlement do you need, what are they like to insure, do they need tax and mot's, any thought comments will be more than welcome, these are what im thinking of when its all done up, will start will the fergies

lee

post-9513-0-42867900-1499279582_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-01270700-1499279595_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-31966300-1499279621_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-08591900-1499279785_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

what about license??

Trundling down the M60 tonight, to pick up some shells. Got held up behind a slow moving tractor and trailer. I understand they are prohibited vehicles on a motorway, but this lad was undeterred.

cant see me going on a motorway on/in one, i wouldnt even take bonni on a motorway, that tractor and trailer would of probably overtaken me :lol::lol:

looking for a tractor for wife and daughter who have five horses to pull a muck trailer a roller and a topper to look after paddocks dosent need to be road registerd just good hydraulics not a pretty picture a fergie a fordson international got a trailer upto 3.5 ton so can collect if reasonable price.just mesage me on here

An old guy who lived by me years ago had one as his daily driver he had no family so a one seat was ok to do the shopping and go to work in.

From what I have heard people saying about old tractors it is better to get one in good condition as if you get a rough one it will cost much more to do it up than you will could ever hope to get back on it when you sell it unlike your LR where as long as you do not add in your 5000 + hours labour charges you should make a good profit on it.

5000 hours labour, i spent that amount of time taking photos :lol:

and when i say project i might mean buy a really nice one thats been restored and tinker :good::good:

im not sure iv got it in me this year to start another full resto, a little tinker will do, tart up if you will

Edited by viking

You won't get a cheap restored MF35 they are too sort after now by both English enthusiasts and dealers sending them abroad to India and the like. I reckon minimum for something reasonable 3.5-4k with some really nice stuff pushing up to 7k.

Nuffields are normally cheaper as don't have such a following as the ferguson or Fordson majors but are great tractors and very quick on the road. Go for earlier stuff like a 460 rather than the later 465 which is more rounded they are not as good. Personally I prefer the nuffields as less common than Fordson majors but the majors are also a good bet and you can pick something reasonable up for 2k.

Edited by ferguson_tom

You won't get a cheap restored MF35 they are too sort after now by both English enthusiasts and dealers sending them abroad to India and the like. I reckon minimum for something reasonable 3.5-4k with some really nice stuff pushing up to 7k.

Nuffields are normally cheaper as don't have such a following as the ferguson or Fordson majors but are great tractors and very quick on the road. Go for earlier stuff like a 460 rather than the later 465 which is more rounded they are not as good. Personally I prefer the nuffields as less common than Fordson majors but the majors are also a good bet and you can pick something reasonable up for 2k.

remember the nuffields well ....used to do bale carting with them....they had a punchy engine and a got top speed... :good:

remember the nuffields well ....used to do bale carting with them....they had a punchy engine and a got top speed... :good:

The 5-speed Nuffields had rather odd gear ratios. The very high 5th gear was perfect on a smooth road with light load, but too fast if you had a plough on the back and an undulating road, as the whole outfit could bounce around like a kangaroo. 4th seemed painfully slow on the road, but OK for pulling a heavy trailer.

You had to get used to the throttle control. First-timers would open it a bit too quickly, the tractor would leap forward so the driver was thrown back in the seat and would involuntarily pull the throttle wide open. Soon learned to steady things by keeping the left thumb pressed against the fuel tank.

Several nice features on those old Nuffields. It was very handy to be able to lock the linkage in the raised position, without relying on the hydraulics. The separate clutch for pto and hydraulics seemed much more convenient than the MF dual-clutch arrangement. Spool valve would hold a front loader at constant height, whereas Ford and MF with quadrant lever could allow the loader to drift up or down (look behind you while reversing, and the bucket might go up through the roof).

Think the best tractor to do for a virgin....would be the fordson major or the power major....would be nice to get one with a side mounted pully

masseys ...rekon parts are getting expensive.......

would love to do a nuffield...but rekon parts would be none existant...

go for the fordson... :good::good:

im all over the shop now :lol: iv now decided i dont want to restore one but just buy a nice one to ride around on, as said iv seen a couple of MF35's for £4-6000, id never even heard of the fordsons, seems i need to do alittle more home work, im not really after a show piece just some thing nice and tidy, or something i can tidy up on myself, i dont mind a little tinkle,

is there any other makes i should be looking at :good::good: