How do snap caps work if the inertia depends on recoil?

DanBettin

Why do you want to use snap caps?

Few reasons. I've read it's best to leave the pins in that state (as if they've been fired) during storage, not sure if that's accurate or not? But also I'd like the trigger pull to be part of my practice at home. I keep hanging around on the trigger and it's become a habit, it's causing me problems, need to practice clearing it between shots.

There handy for checking trigger pulls and suchlike, even dry practice BUT NEVER EVER leave them in the gun either in a slip or in a cabinet. The reason is one day it is possible whilst distracted to accidentally leave a cartridge in and on glancing whilst removing from cabinet assume its a snap cap. Barrels can and indeed must always be checked frequently as in every time you take hold of a gun, pass a gun, slip it or unslip it. This check is for an empty barrell, empty of anything. Hence snap caps for anything other than "testing" something is bad practice 👍

Throw the snap caps in the bin. Coil springs don't need to be eased and as far as leaf springs go, the mains may be eased but the smaller ejector springs are loaded up. Never dry fire actions off with nothing in the chamber as resistance. The firing pins don't like it and splinters can come off of the front of the pin face. Concentrate on the target and keep calm and your finger off of the trigger.

My bettinsoli manual does, it's what made me initially ask the question to be honest. Happy to take advice though if people think it's not worth it. Obviously safety implications with being fine with 2 cartridges in the barrels, snap caps or not. As stated, you're more prone to a mix-up.

Edited by DanBettin