Right I Went and Bought one for curiosity

subsonicnat

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still struggling to see why everyone thinks this is banned for reg shoots. It doesn't magnify. Nor does it emit light. It does not give forward lead displacement. It doesn't visually enhance the target. These are the only things which are banned in a device by the cpsa.

I wait to be enlightened.

Jasper.

Of course it gives forward lead displacement.

Once you have zeroed it , the red dot/ circle will show you where your barrels are in relation to the target , therefore allowing you to see forward lead displacement,

As someone else said it's possible to adjust the circle to the same size as your pattern.

One could also argue that the illuminated red dot /circle can also be a massive advantage in poor light conditions over a shooter that is not using the device.

The list depending on how you want to define it has the potential to go on and on.

In competitive shooting it all about everyone being on a level playing field. The rules are not there just to make it ******* awkward for you. They have been in place for many many years ,

People seem to think this is just the CPSA being snobby or whatever you want to call it. However when it comes to competitive shooting the CPSA is such a small cog in the whole gearbox. All of the governing body's for international/ Olympic , fitasc and domestic ect etc all have the same rules , and the cpsa has to follow there rules too feel free to waste hrs of your life trawling through there technical rule books. It will bore you daft .

Edited by stevo

Or alternatively turn up at a proper registered shoot, use your new attachment and see how long before the Referee stops you! :lol:

To be honest I think the other shooters would boot you out first.

Of course it gives forward lead displacement.

Once you have zeroed it , the red dot/ circle will show you where your barrels are in relation to the target , therefore allowing you to see forward lead displacement,

As someone else said it's possible to adjust the circle to the same size as your pattern.

I dont see how this device will give you forward lead displacement. As the shooter you still need to apply the correct amount of lead by swinging through, the device will not work this out for you. It can't track the target and tell you or display to you how much you should apply. It's same as the front bead. This gives you a reference as to where your shot will go, subject to mounting the gun correctly.

Also the sight being discussed here is not adjustable in terms of getting the pattern to be within the circle at a given distance. The easyhit is a fixed circle where as the rambo/shooin is a dot. If you want to get the pattern in the circle then patterning at various distances will tell you at what distance the shot is within the circle. A conventional shooter can pattern their gun and know the pattern spread at various distances.

I think i am massively missing something here? I don't see how these are any different to the bead on the shotgun? If you have patterned your gun you should know where the centre of the pattern is, you shouldn't need a dot to show you. As for the comments like "not everyone can afford a fitted gun" Buy one that fits to start with, you wouldn't buy shoes that are too big or small, a golfer wouldn't buy clubs that are too long or short, yet people just seem to buy shotguns and use them. Alternatively, change the length butt pad, put a sticky comb raiser on etc etc. Poor gun fit comes with more problems than not aiming in the right spot. If your gun does not fit you you are likely to suffer more from the recoil, putting one of these dot sights on will not change that, sure it might make you shoot in the right place but it won't help you soak up the recoil. These might help a few but they are not a substitute for proper gun fit and technique. I have never seen a top class clay shooter (or any good shots for that matter) using one of these. I personally feel these could make your shooting sloppy over time as proper a mount will not be as important as it would without. That said, each to their own, it seems some are having success and enjoying using them but these are just not for me.

These are interesting maybe from a longstanding rifle shooters perspective?

The perception of an aim point in front of the barrel end replicates a telescopic sight?

As to the jibes of only buying a gun that fits or getting one fitted? This does not apply to most I suspect due to mount problems and logistics

I have had 2 opinions on mine. Both from accredited coaches and both different so it remains unaltered.

Still working on this.

Trying another coach this week and going back to the plate to start.

Not really a clay buster but need better hits.

Thinking of your analogy on buying a pair of shoes I think most of us know our feet well enough to know whether a pair of shoes fit. In fact most of us will put on a pair of shoes and have a stroll around the shop before making our decision. The sales assistant may offer some advise on the style and look but they are not in a position to advise on fit, not unless you visit Barker's or Church's :-). The issue with shotguns is that you cant take them for a test drive before deciding. On top of that most of us don't know exactly what we are looking for in terms of gun fit. The sales assistant will usually assist with looking down the barrel to see how your mount is. Problem here, and no disrespect to gun traders, they want to make a sale and most of them are not shooting coaches. How do we solve this?

Thinking of your analogy on buying a pair of shoes I think most of us know our feet well enough to know whether a pair of shoes fit. In fact most of us will put on a pair of shoes and have a stroll around the shop before making our decision. The sales assistant may offer some advise on the style and look but they are not in a position to advise on fit, not unless you visit Barker's or Church's :-). The issue with shotguns is that you cant take them for a test drive before deciding. On top of that most of us don't know exactly what we are looking for in terms of gun fit. The sales assistant will usually assist with looking down the barrel to see how your mount is. Problem here, and no disrespect to gun traders, they want to make a sale and most of them are not shooting coaches. How do we solve this?

If you put luck to one side and ignore guns for a specific discipline and assume general shooting whether it be clays or game, whereas "exactly" will be down to several sessions with a skilled fitter, given a bit of effort in finding out what to look for before going into the shop WHICH HAS A MIRROR, then it is perfectly feasible to get something with which you'll make a decent showing. Just don't be pressurised into buying something with which you're not quite happy because it doesn't meet the spec' for the points that you've learned beforehand.

Well very interesting thread

Basically we're all looking for a edge or something to help improve the hit cartridge ratios

So competition aside if it helps for a small cost it has to be good

Classic example of a edge is a high rib on a trap gun or the very wide rib on a shadow indy skeet gun

You could even say the raised Churchill rib giving the illusion of longer barrels is a edge as it gives a fast handling game gun steadiness

Anyway give it a try build your confidence and sight pictures

All the best

Of

You say," The issue with shotguns is that you cant take them for a test drive before deciding" my gun shop lets you try before you buy, as does many others I bet.

I'm wondering now about practical shotgun, would this be classed as a fibre tube as fittted to most pumps and autos or would this put those guns in the open class (with all the box fed all singing and dancing Guns) as an optical sight?

It might even upset some other rule makers!😀

I shall have to try next time out

Which raises an interesting point, how many buy locally compared to distance? Some areas will have lots of choice of shops and guns, others will have little choice of shops, guns and even less can try before buying?

From personal experience I am not sure that waving one about in a shop and having someone look up the barrels ensures any sort of suitable fit?

After a friends recent experience of a supposed large expensive gun dealer I would rather buy one unseen from China if you get my drift.

Which raises an interesting point, how many buy locally compared to distance? Some areas will have lots of choice of shops and guns, others will have little choice of shops, guns and even less can try before buying?

From personal experience I am not sure that waving one about in a shop and having someone look up the barrels ensures any sort of suitable fit?

After a friends recent experience of a supposed large expensive gun dealer I would rather buy one unseen from China if you get my drift.

I have concluded virtualy all guns fit in the sterile and immobile environment of a shop...

I have concluded virtualy all guns fit in the sterile and immobile environment of a shop...

My conclusion too. :good:

This certainly was the case with my friend where a replacement gun from a botch is probably at least an inch and a half too long in the stock, on enquiry after a trial shoot he was informed that stock shortening would invalidate the warranty.

Now that's real service for you?

Edited by old man

My conclusion too. :good:

This certainly was the case with my friend where a replacement gun from a botch is probably at least an inch and a half too long in the stock, on enquiry after a trial shoot he was informed that stock shortening would invalidate the warranty.

Now that's real service for you?

That's ridiculous.

Why do manufacturers not give the option of buying a gun with a stock in the white and over length and high comb. You then diy or get stock man to cut and shave to fit. Be a better and cheaper way for one to ave effectively a custom stock. I think berretta offer this on the dt11 but I may be dreaming 😊

That's ridiculous.

Why do manufacturers not give the option of buying a gun with a stock in the white and over length and high comb. You then diy or get stock man to cut and shave to fit. Be a better and cheaper way for one to ave effectively a custom stock. I think berretta offer this on the dt11 but I may be dreaming 😊

That's an excellent idea.

That's ridiculous.

Why do manufacturers not give the option of buying a gun with a stock in the white and over length and high comb. You then diy or get stock man to cut and shave to fit. Be a better and cheaper way for one to ave effectively a custom stock. I think berretta offer this on the dt11 but I may be dreaming

A well known manufacturer of reloading equipment pointed out that nobody knows more about cartridges than the makers which it's probably fair to say equally applies to guns. However, he then went on to point out that these craftsmen don't make guns/cartridges - accountants do.

Guns are like off the peg clothes they are made in a way that they will fit a huge variation of size and shape but rarely fit anyone absolutely perfectly. Also they are made for different nationalities who have different builds. For instance I cant fit into an Italian 42" jacket or shirt but I can fit an English 42" beretta for instance seem to make comb height as an average for all nationalities' apart from English as the combs are always too low from my experience.

You say," The issue with shotguns is that you cant take them for a test drive before deciding" my gun shop lets you try before you buy, as does many others I bet.

My local gunshop has a few guns that can be loaned out but the selection is minimal. Which gunshop do you use that allows trying? Do they have a range out back to bash a few clays?

It's all well and good saying you should try the gun before you purchase it but mine was bought for me in anticipation of the sgc approval, by the good lady wife and stored on a friends ticket until my sgc arrived. And as I don't have a slush fund of money to get another one or have it worked on, for the foreseeable future it's my everything gun.

Fortunately there are a selection of places locally that can help me get the best out of the situation, I've been told to all intense and purpose the gun fit is very good,maybe add a little to the LOP but see how it goes.

From here on in its down to practice I suppose.

My local gunshop has a few guns that can be loaned out but the selection is minimal. Which gunshop do you use that allows trying? Do they have a range out back to bash a few clays?

Borders Gunroom and Bisley at Braidwood in the Borders. Byewell shooting ground in Northumberland, to name a few. I wouldn't buy a gun unless I tried it out.

That's ridiculous.

Why do manufacturers not give the option of buying a gun with a stock in the white and over length and high comb. You then diy or get stock man to cut and shave to fit. Be a better and cheaper way for one to ave effectively a custom stock. I think berretta offer this on the dt11 but I may be dreaming

It is offered by some maufacturers and costs a fortune!