Rape in full flower

Wooder

Came off the M25 today to go up the M1 , couldn't believe my eyes to the my right there was a field of rape 3 ft tall and in full flower. whats that all about?

You might well be right Wooder , but are you sure the flower is not a weed that grow amongst the rape ? , we have got some fodder rape that is well in flower that is grown for a cover crop, and a field of Mustard that is in full Yellow flower also grown as a cover crop.

Must have drove past half a dozen big clumps of mustard in flower this week. Generally it's put in as a cover crop.

apart from being used as a cover crop..................farmers are obliged to put a certain % of their acreage down as a soil improver....thats what it is done for around here..........

I'll ask the farmer ditchy. Who knows it might be for both reasons.

i think it is an EU thing...................in the old days 60's and 70's they used to use Lupins as a soil improver then be ploughed in...the lupin is a legume and you mixed in with the seed a "nitrifying bacteria...which would attatch itself to the developing roots and produce nitrogen...........thus with the bulk ...stems etc producing humas and the roots producing nitrogen.....hence...soil improver..

I would say that if it is the whole field it is more likely to be a green crop of mustard.

Yes, you're dead right, it's a break crop of Mustard and those fields are part of my permission. I'm looking forward to seeing what quantity of Game birds will be in there when we have our first shoot up there later this month.

The actual area of Mustard being grown is pretty big, probably double what you can actually see from the motorway, so we'll see what's in there..?

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

i think it is an EU thing...................in the old days 60's and 70's they used to use Lupins as a soil improver then be ploughed in...the lupin is a legume and you mixed in with the seed a "nitrifying bacteria...which would attatch itself to the developing roots and produce nitrogen...........thus with the bulk ...stems etc producing humas and the roots producing nitrogen.....hence...soil improver..

I'm not so sure about an EU thing brother. You'll remember the clover lays we used used to grow? That was the old fashioned way. Then they'd put the cows or sheep on it and let them eat and **** away until it was gone or the pigeons beat them to it.

Trouble is these days farms are mostly arable, little livestock in Norfolk compared to how it used to be.

Yes, you're dead right, it's a break crop of Mustard and those fields are part of my permission. I'm looking forward to seeing what quantity of Game birds will be in there when we have our first shoot up there later this month.

The actual area of Mustard being grown is pretty big, probably double what you can actually see from the motorway, so we'll see what's in there..?

Cat.

Small world!!!!!! looked like rape to me from a distance. my wife says my head is always in the fields and not on my driving.

I'm not so sure about an EU thing brother. You'll remember the clover lays we used used to grow? That was the old fashioned way. Then they'd put the cows or sheep on it and let them eat and **** away until it was gone or the pigeons beat them to it.

Trouble is these days farms are mostly arable, little livestock in Norfolk compared to how it used to be.

think its an EU directive... :unhappy:

• 1 month later...

An update on this crop, it's brimming with Pheasants, but it's so dense and around 5 feet tall in parts, that' it's so easy to lose birds once shot, as the dogs can't get a mark on them as they can't see a damn thing..!

Apparently it will be sprayed off early next year and ploughed in, a top quality break crop, but very frustrating to shoot.

Cat.