How Many Acorns

Old Boggy

Having just breasted out a few pigeons from yesterday, one young bird`s crop contained 37 beans. They were still finding beans on a field of winter wheat, as rightly observed in another post by JDog.

Not a huge amount for beans, granted, but it got me thinking about how many acorns that a pigeon could hold in its crop.

Chatting to my farmer friend yesterday, he confirmed that he once shot one with 46 acorns in its crop.

I`ve only shot them with a maximum of a dozen or so in their crops, but I`m sure others out there can confirm greater numbers. Perhaps a record holder even !!

Maybe I should get a life other than counting out numbers of crop contents, but always find my self doing it on a random selection of shot birds, if only to check out feeding patterns etc.

OB

Having just breasted out a few pigeons from yesterday, one young bird`s crop contained 37 beans. They were still finding beans on a field of winter wheat, as rightly observed in another post by JDog.

Not a huge amount for beans, granted, but it got me thinking about how many acorns that a pigeon could hold in its crop.

Chatting to my farmer friend yesterday, he confirmed that he once shot one with 46 acorns in its crop.

I`ve only shot them with a maximum of a dozen or so in their crops, but I`m sure others out there can confirm greater numbers. Perhaps a record holder even !!

Maybe I should get a life other than counting out numbers of crop contents, but always find my self doing it on a random selection of shot birds, if only to check out feeding patterns etc.

OB

Shot a field of newly drilled wheat yesterday, blagged a half day, as i had been watching the field since Tuesday when they drilled it, previously had beans on it, only had a dozen birds and one bonus crow in three hours, all contained beans and some drilled wheat no acorns,.considering the field is surrounded by woodland.

46 acorns.......................thats nearly the size of the pigeon....................youre avin a larf surley

Well Ditchy, call me sad but I`ve just collected 46 acorns and as a ball they measure approximately 3 1/4 inches in diameter, so I don`t think that it`s such an impossibility for a pigeon to have this in its crop.

However, they weighed 7 ounces, so whether it could fly particularly well is another matter.

Oh, and by the way, stop calling me Shirley !!

OB

Well Ditchy, call me sad but I`ve just collected 46 acorns and as a ball they measure approximately 3 1/4 inches in diameter, so I don`t think that it`s such an impossibility for a pigeon to have this in its crop.

However, they weighed 7 ounces, so whether it could fly particularly well is another matter.

Oh, and by the way, stop calling me Shirley !!

OB

just out of interest...........i wonder how long the bird would take to process all them acorns.

OB

Have you tried counting a full crop of Rape seed OB ? , just in case you have got a few days spare and looking for something to do :lol:

Have you tried counting a full crop of Rape seed OB ? , just in case you have got a few days spare and looking for something to do :lol:

No, I'm not that sad, or bored, but watching one of Chris Green's DVDs, he counted out the number of wheat seeds in a pigeon's full crop with a view to approximating on the amount a whole flock would eat and therefore the total loss to the farmer !!

On a similar theme, it always amazes me when you see a completely green field of volunteer rape after harvest, how much seed must be lost or not picked up from the combine. The cutter bar must knock quite a lot of seed out that obviously cannot be collected. Not complaining, as that's what gives us our great sport on the stubbles and even after discing.

OB

No, I'm not that sad, or bored, but watching one of Chris Green's DVDs, he counted out the number of wheat seeds in a pigeon's full crop with a view to approximating on the amount a whole flock would eat and therefore the total loss to the farmer !!

On a similar theme, it always amazes me when you see a completely green field of volunteer rape after harvest, how much seed must be lost or not picked up from the combine. The cutter bar must knock quite a lot of seed out that obviously cannot be collected. Not complaining, as that's what gives us our great sport on the stubbles and even after discing.

OB

Pigeons eating wheat seeds from drillings will not cause a loss to the farmer as they are on the surface. Wheat seeds from laid wheat is a different matter.

Another point from your post always causes me some head scratching. Why have I never seen pigeons on volunteer rape after harvest? One would have thought that the plants would be succulent enough. Perhaps it is the amount of other food available at the time?

Edited by JDog

Preferable food with a higher nutritional value perhaps.

Pigeons eating wheat seeds from drillings will not cause a loss to the farmer as they are on the surface. Wheat seeds from laid wheat is a different matter.

Another point from your post always causes me some head scratching. Why I have I never seen pigeons on volunteer rape after harvest? One would have thought that the plants would be succulent enough. Perhaps it is the amount of other food available at the time?

Another point from your post always causes me some head scratching. Why have I never seen pigeons on volunteer rape after harvest? One would have thought that the plants would be succulent enough. Perhaps it is the amount of other food available at the time?

You are quite right of course about seed on the surface, but fortunately for us, farmers invariably still see them as a threat to their crop when they see them on drilling.

As already said, it would appear that volunteer rape does not figure in the pigeon`s diet due to other more nutritious food available at that time. As we all know, they have to eat rape in the winter during most daylight hours to sustain their condition so the nutrition in rape must be pretty low.

Also as Ditchman has said, I wonder too, how long it takes for a pigeon to `digest` a full crop of acorns.