Country Gent Embarrasses all Shooters

FairImogen

With respect this is incorrect. No person shall store more than 10kg regardless of how you split it.

Fair enough, What if it is two people, belonging to the same household, and there are two storage locations?

Is the quantity stored constrained by the location or the individual?

Fair enough, What if it is two people, belonging to the same household, and there are two storage locations?

That's a good question. Leave it with me I will check with bro in law. I know that in the past on another forum I checked with him regarding splitting the 10kg in different locations and that was confirmed as a no, because the regulation dictates that its "no person" shall store etc etc but your question re two people storing 10kg each at same location is valid 👍

The wording of the Act indicates that the 10KG is a maximum for the site:

the quantities referred to in that paragraph are the maximum quantities of the explosives they respectively relate to which may be present at a site at any one time.

(3) (B) of the link above. I would think that for a normal domestic dwelling site would be taken as house and any outbuildings.

The wording of the Act indicates that the 10KG is a maximum for the site:

(3) (B) of the link above. I would think that for a normal domestic dwelling site would be taken as house and any outbuildings.

Hmmmm, curious. So if two separate sites were in use then it is ok. I'm working on the premise that 10,000 in one room and 10,000 in another is not two separate sites, however it would be an interesting distinction to understand if a separate building within the same locale is considered 1 site or two.

I'd be very wary of this "10,000 cartridges" that has crept into this thread. The law unfortunately isn't crystal clear. Someone once in internet land did a calculation based on the "no more than 15 kilograms of percussion caps or small arms ammunition or a mixture of them" and came up with 10,000 cartridges. But it is the amount of powder in those cartridges that counts and primers.

So 15432 grains in a Kilogram. 15KG = 231480. 231480 divided by 10,000 = 23.2 grains which is a very light powder charge I believe. Chances are your cartridges (12 bore will contain more).

Don't forget the original post, if they have reason to the Police will count everything, cartridges, rifle rounds, powder and primers. If you don't know the law (and it is confusing) that will be no excuse. I got it wrong above with 10KG, my apologies, that is the limit for shooters powder.

I always in cases like this try to come down on the side of the gun owner , looking through the press hysteria and hype but sometimes you just can't offer up any sort of sensible defence , the man is a doughnut !! .. section 5 ..what can you offer up as a plausible explanation ..there is none ..he was lucky to get just a three stretch ..

They would come under the 1.4S category as they would not explode en mass, but would go off singly.

Not quite true they would only be 1.4S in their manufacturers package for transport. Once removed from said package it no longer carries the 1.4S hazard classification code. Not that it really matters just a pedantic point.

The relevant act on ammunition storage is The Explosives Regulations 2014. This details how much you can store before an Explosives Licence is required. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1638/regulation/7/made

OK . What I would like to see if something the layman shooter can understand. Along the lines of .........No more than 10K per person

I have in excess of 5000 between 12ga and 20ga with varying loads and most lead, but a lot nonlead.

Whether its a law, or a good practice/recommendation I am not sure , I have never been able to find official documented proof.

There is a lot of logic about it being a requirement linked to explosives legislation, but I have never seen it.

The fact there are no laws about the storage of shotgun cartridges also suprises me, I can't really see why FAC ammunition is treated so differently.

Who knows Cranners. Thanks for your reply. I initially this ought to be sorted but on reflection let's leave it where it is.

The chap who gets a substantial discount! :yes:

This. Also they are not getting any less expensive so if you can stock up in bulk then do it.

I've had a much quieter year than I would have liked and banged off about 7000 cartridges so easy enough to get through.

I bought 8000 last time, that way tou gain as much discount as possible.

If I am in the right place I buy bits and pieces at good prices and often get offered carts that others don't want. They ALL kill if you point the gun accurately!