.22 subs

As above, I’ve tried most of the Remington .22 offerings over the years. Not been particularly impressed with any of them, but ok at short range as they’re usually so cheap. RWS and Lapua I’ve found to be very good, if they suit your barrel you’ll find them accurate and consistent. As for high velocity .22’s, the RWS HP are very accurate in my Anschutz. Well worth a try. Also, if you want any reduced velocity rounds, try the RWS Z Lang, 29 grain and around 45 ft lbs energy. I’ve shot many rabbits with these.

I use two x .22 LR guns and my finding are:

1. Anschutz 1417 1. RWS HP subs 2. Eley HP subs 3. Lapua (SK) HP Subs 4. Winchester 42g HP subs

2. Sako Finnfire 2 Carbine 1. Eley HP subs 2. Winchester 42g HP subs 3. RWS HP subs 4. Lapua (SK) HP subs

1. Being the most accurate 4. the least accurate.

Other notes:

A) RWS seem to be the quietest and produce a little less power which can be good as they tend not to over penetrate.

B) Lapua (SK) subs becoming difficult to get hold of, i was told they are now discontinued.

C) Winchester 42g HP subs hit like a train but i've had quite a few crackers (over sub speed) in the last few boxes which has put me off them.

D) Both guns are pretty tolerant of different ammunition.

My "go to" round these days is the Eley HP subsonic.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by Whitebridges

As above, I’ve tried most of the Remington .22 offerings over the years. Not been particularly impressed with any of them, but ok at short range as they’re usually so cheap. RWS and Lapua I’ve found to be very good, if they suit your barrel you’ll find them accurate and consistent. As for high velocity .22’s, the RWS HP are very accurate in my Anschutz. Well worth a try. Also, if you want any reduced velocity rounds, try the RWS Z Lang, 29 grain and around 45 ft lbs energy. I’ve shot many rabbits with these.

Pretty much mirrors my finding RFB. RWS Z Lang is very good in my Sako, less so in the Annie.

Lapua are still used in Match shooting (they do smell nice) but I haven't seen anything in hunting type rounds.

Haven't bough any HP ammo for a while so still have a few hundred Winchesters left, which I found to be better in my Finnfire than the Eley were. Maybe different with the next batch though.

Remington.......................................absolute sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...................................................... :rolleyes:

I use two x .22 LR guns and my finding are:

1. Anschutz 1417 1. RWS HP subs 2. Eley HP subs 3. Lapua (SK) HP Subs 4. Winchester 42g HP subs

2. Sako Finnfire 2 Carbine 1. Eley HP subs 2. Winchester 42g HP subs 3. RWS HP subs 4. Lapua (SK) HP subs

1. Being the most accurate 4. the least accurate.

Other notes:

A) RWS seem to be the quietest and produce a little less power which can be good as they tend not to over penetrate.

B) Lapua (SK) subs becoming difficult to get hold of, i was told they are now discontinued.

C) Winchester 42g HP subs hit like a train but i've had quite a few crackers (over sub speed) in the last few boxes which has put me off them.

D) Both guns are pretty tolerant of different ammunition.

My "go to" round these days is the Eley HP subsonic.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sadly correct. SK is target only now. I'm down to just under 1,000 :unhappy:

Sadly correct. SK is target only now. I'm down to just under 1,000 :unhappy:

It’s a shame Phil, I do know somewhere that still has the hollowpoints in stock, but when they’re gone they’re gone.....as they say. I’ve tried the new 38grain eley hp subs and didn’t find them as accurate as the old 40grain ones in the green box either. And the new eley boxes are every bit as carp as the old ones so thumbs down from me on them. I think I’m sticking with rws for now, although I’ll always try a box of something different now and again, just for interest as much as anything.