country file / medical reports and linconshire

quentyn

16 minutes ago, Davyo said:

But you cant make/force a doctor to give a medical report to say an applicant is fit to possess firearms.If the police want to go down this route then maybe they should have an independed medical board that works soley with the licencing department. Put the licence fees up to compensate the additional work.

As far as I understand they do not ask if the doctor knows if the person is fit to possess. A gp is not qualified to give opinion of mental state.a police employed doctor would need access to your complete medical history and the one who can provide this is your gp.who will charge you 50 pounds to do so.so the cost would go up to pay the police doctor and you would have to pay your gp for the records.soon get to two or three hundred pound fees.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m just wondering how and why the BBC  thought this worthy of nationwide interest at peak viewing times, their source and its influence and the motives behind it. 

Panorama ? In some way 

1 hour ago, bostonmick said:

As far as I understand they do not ask if the doctor knows if the person is fit to possess. A gp is not qualified to give opinion of mental state.a police employed doctor would need access to your complete medical history and the one who can provide this is your gp.who will charge you 50 pounds to do so.so the cost would go up to pay the police doctor and you would have to pay your gp for the records.soon get to two or three hundred pound fees.

In scotland . I dont know about the rest of the uk. But in scotland when you download the form to fill in .one of the pages is for your doctor to fill in. You take it to the doctor. You then have to write a note on this part of the form .that is on a slip of paper at the doctors. Before you can get the doctor to fill it in .its money up front first. Lets be honest here .the police dont want you to have a sgc or fac . And some doctors are not wanting you to have one either. The though of a police doctor is even more scarey .

Below is a Facebook post from the Basc page, I realise that not all have a FB profile, but if you have concerns about the Countryfile piece give them a call or email. I know I will be contacting them to get a response. ?

If you are experiencing any issues mentioned on tonight’s BBC Countryfile regarding medical fee's in the firearms & shotgun licensing process, please contact the BASC's firearms team for help & advice‬.
https://basc.org.uk/firearms/

I done my renewal for FAC back end of last year. My doctor sent me a letter stating they will delay my application until they receive £35 (iirc might have been more) from me. 

I rang BASC as I’m a member and they stated DO NOT PAY. 

I then rang my firearms department (Essex Police) who very kindly confirmed there was no requirement to pay and they had not even requested a medical report! 

If in doubt ring BASC or your firearms department. 

33 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

I done my renewal for FAC back end of last year. My doctor sent me a letter stating they will delay my application until they receive £35 (iirc might have been more) from me. 

I rang BASC as I’m a member and they stated DO NOT PAY. 

I then rang my firearms department (Essex Police) who very kindly confirmed there was no requirement to pay and they had not even requested a medical report! 

If in doubt ring BASC or your firearms department. 

So what would you have done if Essex had said this to you ? 

Call basc ?

do you truly believe they can make Essex police do as there told , or more the point , any constabulary? 

I’m sorry I don’t get where you’re coming from. I’ve just stated what happened to me personally in September 2017. 

If BASC and the firearms department said yep you’ve got to pay it then I would have paid it. 

Not sure if there’s anything else to add except there should be clear advice given out by the national bodies that this is something doctors are trying to do that at the minute has no legal standpoint. 

What I'm getting at is the fact that the police have NOT requested a medical report, but the doctor has tried to charge me for one anyway, stating they will delay my renewal. 

I support BASC, because who else is there? Better to have an organisation instead of nothing. 

Edited by Brad93

13 hours ago, quentyn said:

just watching country file - apparently linconshire police are now taking the stance that they require a medical report for grants and renewals 

no medical report no FAC / SGC - no news on if GP's are standardised in their pricing or if they can charge what they want / refuse on moral grounds

Anyone here affected ? is BASC involved ?  

From my own personal experience having renewed my sgc recently this is not the case with the Lincolnshire Constabulary. 

10 hours ago, Dougy said:

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=1520

This is the most updated Firearm application form I have seen, as far as I am aware this is a generic form for England and Wales (sorry Scotland your independent, not my doing) 

Look at section 7 in "notes"

Not on my Watch we are not lol .

BASC were delighted to see BBC Countryfile covering firearms licensing in last night’s programme.

BASC supported the BBC heavily in their research for this episode and provided contact with members who have been struggling with the issues. We also put the BBC in contact with the national police lead on firearms licensing.

While BASC were not mentioned directly last night, the important thing is that the issue has now received national exposure.

Edited by David BASC

Very interesting debate .

I am well aware that a number of Police Officers prefer to MAKE their own law rather than observe THE Law , thus wasting valuable time money and staff resources .

Perhaps we should all take numerous driving tests as far more people are killed by irresponsible drivers than users of legally held firearms .

Interesting that BASC advised the BBC correspondent ? But didn't advise him to wear ear protection whilst reporting from an active DTL line .

No doubt he will soon be taking medical retirement from the BBC at more expense to the General Public licence holders.

What really is the point of all this unnecessary expense and time wasting?

Anyone could be interviewed by their GP and in his opinion (he's not a psychiatrist) be a fit and reasonable person , but a few days later said person could have life changing circumstances such as divorce , redundancy , illness which would greatly effect their mental health , making any prior assessment irrelevant.

18 minutes ago, David BASC said:

BASC were delighted to see BBC Countryfile covering firearms licensing in last night’s programme.

BASC supported the BBC heavily in their research for this episode and provided contact with members who have been struggling with the issues. We also put the BBC in contact with the national police lead on firearms licensing.

While BASC were not mentioned directly last night, the important thing is that the issue has now received national exposure.

David.

The program didn't really supply any clear facts, even in this thread, after watching the programme, there is confusion and missunderstanding.

Here in Scotland, if you don't pay for the Doctors to complete the form (it's not a medical report BTW) then PS will not progress your licence or renewal. Linc Police stated that they would adopt the Scottish method and if this is true - what are you going to do about it ?

So far, up here in Scotland, you have done f*k all !

1 minute ago, Salopian said:

Very interesting debate .

<snip>

Anyone could be interviewed by their GP and in his opinion (he's not a psychiatrist) be a fit and reasonable person , but a few days later said person could have life changing circumstances such as divorce , redundancy , illness which would greatly effect their mental health , making any prior assessment irrelevant.

The form the doctors fill in is NOT a medical review or examination. It asks them the mark the patients records (showing that he has a firearm/shotgun certificate).

I can't find the form at the moment but it's not a medical assement ...

9 hours ago, Brad93 said:

I’m sorry I don’t get where you’re coming from. I’ve just stated what happened to me personally in September 2017. 

If BASC and the firearms department said yep you’ve got to pay it then I would have paid it. 

Not sure if there’s anything else to add except there should be clear advice given out by the national bodies that this is something doctors are trying to do that at the minute has no legal standpoint. 

What I'm getting at is the fact that the police have NOT requested a medical report, but the doctor has tried to charge me for one anyway, stating they will delay my renewal. 

I support BASC, because who else is there? Better to have an organisation instead of nothing. 

Your GP has not tried to charge you for a report, but just to check your medical records and confirm to Essex that there are no issues. If there had been then Essex Firearms would have requested a medical report for which there would have been a fee. There is to be no fee for the initial check, that is what was agreed with the BMA originally.

44 minutes ago, David BASC said:

A real pity that the pertinent facts of what should and should not be paid for were not clear then.

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Your GP has not tried to charge you for a report, but just to check your medical records and confirm to Essex that there are no issues. If there had been then Essex Firearms would have requested a medical report for which there would have been a fee. There is to be no fee for the initial check, that is what was agreed with the BMA originally.

I’ve got the letter from the GP requesting payment. I’ll post it shortly