Waste of money

Bigbob

Well after a week of snow the council have reached us and are gritting the pavement , only its  bucket day and everybody's got there buckets out :lol:. So the man in his wee machine is gritting a couple of yards of pavement going onto the road to pass the buckets and back onto the pavement for another couple of yards . But it really gawls me most of the scheme are elderly and have already cleared the pavement out side there house its just the lazy beggars whos paths no cleared 

We had a salt bin at the top of a steep hill by our infants school It was crapped on (dogs) written on and partly burnt, while there throughout the summer. They took it away this winter.

And, I've been informed that if I clear the snow off my pavement, and then someone slips, I become liable. I don't know how true this is.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

We had a salt bin at the top of a steep hill by our infants school It was crapped on (dogs) written on and partly burnt, while there throughout the summer. They took it away this winter.

And, I've been informed that if I clear the snow off my pavement, and then someone slips, I become liable. I don't know how true this is.

I once moved about ten tons of snow , and then had to move it back because we couldn't get any grit to put down. True story ,and a lesson well learned by me.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Possibly true as if I remember correctly they can use a clause about the only people authorised to work on the highways are Council staff?

Not a likely course if you use a grit bin for the road but a teaser maybe on footpaths if an injury occurs?

Edited by old man

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

my understanding is that,  once youve moved the snow , the pavement is in that condition(whatever that may be) due to your actions , so youre the one that is responsible.

the local authority that i work for , has fastened the grit bins shut with cable ties , it seemed pretty pointless when they first did it , but it actually works , genuine users can easily access the grit , but it has stopped folks using them as litter bins and toilets . the council just refill them at the end of the winter , a fasten them shut with a new cable tie.

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Must admit the salt bins sometimes got used as litter bins, but they weren’t too bad really.

i don’t think anyone is too bothered about being held liable; most of them are of the generation which applies common sense to the issue. 

8 hours ago, Scully said:

We just have salt bins and grit our own, and call the council when they need topping up. Been like this for years now. Works fine. 

My local council threatened to fine people for using the grit in the grit bins.  Apparently they are for council use only and anyone taking a shovel full of grit to prevent an elderly neighbour from taking  tumble on their garden path is a wrong'un and deserves penalising for picking up the councils shortfalls.... You couldn't make it up!!

There was a recent article in a tabloid, apparently a parcel deliver chap has sued a home owner for NOT clearing their path! He slipped and ended up off work so sued. The onus is apparently on the property owner to make safe any right of way you allow contractors etc! Post, milk, tradesmen etc!! If you have a sign up on your gate stating no junk mail, or tradesmen amdbthey then slip I would imagine they would have a hard time trying to sue as they were effectively trespassing. Many people are now opting for a post box on or near a gate at the boundary to their property and I guess this can prevent the risks of a case being brought against the land owner! Anything OUTSIDE of your boundary is not your responsibility. 

11 hours ago, Jonty said:

My local council threatened to fine people for using the grit in the grit bins.  Apparently they are for council use only and anyone taking a shovel full of grit to prevent an elderly neighbour from taking  tumble on their garden path is a wrong'un and deserves penalising for picking up the councils shortfalls.... You couldn't make it up!!

We even had big plastic shovels in our salt bins. The local inhabitants were always very thankful when I scattered grit on their paths. Like I said, most are community minded and of the generation which applies more than a modicum of common sense. 

I always clear a path for for us and postie down our drive and scatter rock salt on it. I try to keep a sack of rocksalt in ready before Winter sets in. Its saves me risking breaking legs too.

Landy has a service and MOT in January. It gets its annual wash prior to. The rocksalt is handy for the path when the wash water residue tries to freeze into a skating ring down the public path at the end of the driveway too.

In case anyone is interested 20 year old Defender, MOT and service £158 with no advisories.