Some birch plywood stuff

winnie&bezza

Morning members,

Finished this birch ply unit and desk last week. I made it on site (in customers garage) and basically designed it with them as I went along. Doors and drawers on soft close hinges and runners.

18mm units and door and 24mm tops. Heavy old stuff it is but brilliant to use. 

I finished them with Osmo Polyx Hardwax and have it a rub up with 1200g to give a nice sheen. It comes up Pearl like when to look at it at different angles. 

5F7224A1-92E3-424D-8C3A-001D5C6D852A.jpeg

D90A5C9E-539F-4963-9273-CE65F73BDBF8.jpeg

2F4430FE-4EB0-4AF3-9267-71BCD2108D6A.jpeg

67A58DFC-3312-4F4D-8579-A647046680B0.jpeg

58EEE5CD-505B-451E-AFF3-548B99EA0868.jpeg

Edited by winnie&bezza

15 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

very very nice, remember wen you started on your own you seemed a bit stressed but who wouldn't, you've come a long way since then keep up the good work and cracking job :good:

Cheers Dave ??yeah still a bit worried mate. The big job that enabled me to go SE will probably be finishing in around a month so a bit daunting. Been getting other work whilst doing that big job but it’s probably taken up 80% of my workload since last February. Got some jobs in the pipeline and had a couple of enquiries for some more units this week so we’ll see. Take the rough the smooth I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Someone’s getting a little ‘showy’ now aren’t they :-)

Don’t blame you as some brilliant work, am very jealous of your abilities

I don’t like being thought of as a show off as that’s not me! I worry about posting stuff Incase I get told it’s **** haha.

Nice to give people ideas and discuss things. 

Thanks ??

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

did you ever see the grand designs program where they did all the kitchen out of ply? Looked amazing, they even had the individual ply's lining up. It was supposed to look minimalistic but funnily enough was very hard work achieving it. 

No I didn’t, I don’t see that as much as I should. Will have to try and find it on catch up as I’d be interested in that! 

That was my second birch ply job so I’d like to experiment with maybe darker stains etc. 

10 minutes ago, figgy said:

Nice to see some decent plywood being used without being edged so you can see it’s ply. 

Seen some very nice exotic and couloured plywood’s but not cheap. 

Too much MDF being used these days. 

Nice to see your work, 

Yeah nice to use it. The was about £55 a sheet for the 18mm in B.B. grade and for the doors I used the better grade for the doors which was £95 for a sheet. The 24mm was a big 3.050 x 1525m sheet and coat £125. 

I want to get some samples of other exotic ply to shop customers really. MDf is cheap and paints well so it’s a draw for a lot of people. 

Cheers mate.

3 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

Very nice! I love the birch ply. I once rebuilt a yacht cabin using birch ply. When finished I used some spirit and oil to bring out the depth of grain, before sealing it with yacht varnish. It came up stunningly well. It was like looking into clear water with the grain at the bottom. 

Cheers LG. Yeah I know what you mean about the depth. You look at one section one way and it just looks darker and bland and then look at it the other way and its lighter and glistens like the inside of an oyster shell. 

39 minutes ago, vampire said:

Another quality job mate.

Are you advertising your company enough and in right places.

Thanks mate.

Well I advertise in a local parish magazine which covers 4 villages and is £94 a year and have a Facebook business page. I haven’t really pushed advertising as much as I should as I didn’t want to take too much on with my big job. Really need to finish my website. There’s an advertising mag which covers a bigger area but that’s about £300 a 1/4 which I gulped at a bit. 

Keep at it, you're getting rather good at this bespoke stuff!:lol:

You best type of advertising will be happy customers telling their friends, personal recommendation is the winner every time Mate.:yes:

Oh and keep posting pictures of your work please, we love seeing them.:good: