.17 hmr moderators

bruno22rf

If you have decided on a heavy target barrel that's down to you, I struggle to envisage any situation where I would want to hump around such a heavy lump for field work.

It's easy enough to get any barrel threaded! 

This is far from up to date but is still useful.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/17hmr-calibre-sound-moderators-review

You may as well ask what use is ANY moderator on any ammo travelling faster then the speed of sound????

The moderator will do a fair job of reducing the propellant crack, but will have no effect on any sonic boom.  

EVERY rifle I have has a moderator fitted, I find them a bonus.

TBH - too many sensible answers instead of the "doesn't really make much difference m8 and if the gun is THAT nice just buy it" - to add insult to injury comes Dekers suggestion that my baby may be a little over weight :sad1:. That's the problem with this forum - people who know better giving sound advice - going to sit in the corner and simply rock myself to sleep now. 

56 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

TBH - too many sensible answers instead of the "doesn't really make much difference m8 and if the gun is THAT nice just buy it" - to add insult to injury comes Dekers suggestion that my baby may be a little over weight :sad1:. That's the problem with this forum - people who know better giving sound advice - going to sit in the corner and simply rock myself to sleep now. 

:lol::lol::lol:

Some people like heavy barrels/guns, simply not for me in the field, the moderator will make a fair bit of difference to the overall sound level, the HMR is pretty noisy unmoderated!

Good luck whatever you get! :good:

Bruno 

Local to you in Dunstable £70 to screw cut so if the guns fairly cheap go for it

http://www.jrfirearms.co.uk/barrel-screw-cutting.html

I have just got my .243 off my keeper and that's not threaded its getting done asap as soon as the ringing in my ears subsides after trying three rounds through it.

To echo the above comments I tried my HMR without the mod on it. Never again!

Not read the other opinions, but for HMR over barrel i'd be going for a Swift Nightingale.... Mine was proofed for .17HMR and .22LR. Yet for the last few years I've been using it on my .223 Rem as well, (mostly). And to good effect.... Made of alloy the first baffle has taken a bit of a bit of a beating, and a little on the second. But the last 3 are fine.  I use it mainly for .223 Rem. But the rest of the baffles are doing just fine..... And at around £130 you cant complain...

I have a Sirocco SM11 on mine, but all my other rimfires, including my WMR have a SAK fitted, when the SM11 dies again (which I'm sure it will as the first was replaced under warranty) then I will fit a SAK to my HMR as well.

Despite the fact the SM11 seems to get a good rating on a HMR I remain fairly unimpressed, without spending a fortune on a mod I consider the best I have to be my Sako, it just edges out the others to my ears on ALL my rimfires, but the SAK wins for me with a size and price advantage, the worse sound reduction difference being only marginal.  The Sako, whilst a fraction quieter, has a length problem for me!

RimfireMods007c.jpg.d36deb70f9d80e3d6701ad2ad69da02a.jpg

Sako                                SM11                               SAK

Lots of mods out there, I have tried/used/heard a lot, and people will have their favourites, so the choice is wide, but PERSONALLY, I think one to avoid is the Wildcat Whisper, an expensive waste of time.

Edited by Dekers

I have the Wildcat Whisper 17 HMR on mine. To my ears, there is no difference between it and a Sak. The Wildcat is of a more robust construction.....have to say something positive about it at £125...looks nice too! The Sak at £40 is, imo, as good as anything on a Rimfire.

7 minutes ago, beanieboy said:

I have the Wildcat Whisper 17 HMR on mine. To my ears, there is no difference between it and a Sak. The Wildcat is of a more robust construction.....have to say something positive about it at £125...looks nice too! The Sak at £40 is, imo, as good as anything on a Rimfire.

:good:

There are not many honest people about who own the Whisper, human nature I expect, few are prepared to share what you have just said! :good:

Have to agree with everything above, more robust build, over barrel but heavier, no quieter (independent tests actually say it's louder) and a LOT more expensive than a SAK.

19 minutes ago, Dekers said:

There are not many honest people about who own the Whisper, human nature I expect, few are prepared to share what you have just said! :good:

Have to agree with everything above, more robust build, over barrel but heavier, no quieter (independent tests actually say it's louder) and a LOT more expensive than a SAK.

Sometimes the truth hurts....in my case, to the tune of about £80!....still, you live and learn, as they say.:yes:

6 minutes ago, PPP said:

If I were to swap my Atac for a SAK would I still need ear protection?  I was impressed with the wave compared to no mod at all. I have nothing to compare it to..

I think you would notice the difference, as for hearing protection, I don't know how much of Difference it would make. 

My HMR is a Varmint, so heavy barrel. I've thought nothing of it for 10years - walking 100acre a night on rabbits. I then bought a .22lr a year ago which is very lightweight. Yep, OK I see the difference now... but I still love my 452.

As for Moderators... SAK does all IMO. I use an ASE Utra which is very good - but it's heavier and very fiddly to clean. I've shot it side by side with a SAK and noise reports are very similar (can't tell apart).

Every now and again a product comes along that just works.

The SAK is a brilliant moderator at a very competitive price in the moderator market place, very few will need any more than a SAK offers.   

Some moderators may offer a minor improvement in sound reduction, but these will all come with some other issue of size/weight/price, in some cases all 3.

Obviously the choice is down to the individual, I have bought, tried, used, heard a lot, and SAK still sits at the top of the pile as the "Best Overall" for me on the rimfires!

I have one of Daves (DM80) 17 HMR mods on my HMR, which has had thousands of rounds through it and is still looking very good, with only minimal scarring on the first baffle.

My recently acquired 17 Hornet came with a 17 cal swift, which is exceptionally light, slimmer than my DM80, has fully interchangeable/replaceable baffles, and works very well, and would be a very good option.

I always wear hearing protection as the mod only moderates the sound of the combustion it can not remove the supersonic crack.