"HARNSERS KNIFE" Part 1 Template

ditchman

Right .....just to get yer juices flowing...i have finally come up with a design...

i want to make a useful tool not a weapon...so i have kept the blade length down...i have also gone with a larger handle as Harnser has bigger hands than me

i will transfer this to cardboard, then cut out and feel for shape (how it sits in the hand...and then if im satisfied i will make a blank template out of 1/16" steel plate....(with holes)

This design can also be made into a lock knife with nice polished horn handle (scales) from the stuff WALKER sent me...it will be finished off with a thick bootlace leather strop which will be whipped with copper wire..........the blade will be made from 40mm times 4mm W1 (water hardened) tool steel   same as a wood plane blade....funiture will be recycled walnut from and old gunstock and either brass or bronze bar....saxon sheild boss rivits will hold the scales in place.......

i wont do the leather work but i would like to see it in a full lenght sheath/pouch........

anyway thats my intention   so we will see how things go...its not autumn yet and i still have other stuff to do...but thats what im aiming for...

:good:

Harnsers knife 001tn_.JPG

1 minute ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Nice classic design - Hollow grind, from the drawing?

no not hollow grind...........i will do a full scandi grind/cut from top to bottom...something like 2 deg's then a second grind/cut bout 30%...then the edge will be sharpened

the hardening will take place after the first grind wilst the edge is still thick........it will then be tempered and the second grind will take place ...(slowly so as not to heat it up and destroy the temper)

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Are you taking orders yet?

taking orders from what could be a total disaster..............:lol:

8 minutes ago, Harnser said:

I am a very lucky man . Carnt wait to have it . You see ,there are still some good old boys out there .

harnser

when its done .................have a word with Walker...he might put you straight on a nice plain pouch/sheath for it................anyway thats down the road a bit at the moment..

There really is some talent on here, along with a good bit of banter. I must admit that the technical stuff is totally lost on me but I cannot wait for the ongoing progress and of course the associated narrative.

Many thanks Ditchy and look forward to your most interesting and step by step illustrated tour of your latest project.

OB

so ....................have made a steel template...something i can grip and turn over in my hand...........i need to open up the forefinger recess and add 2 lots of serations to the forefinger grip and the thumb placement............

i like the curved back the recurve pommel....(i wanted to get that like a colt 45 peacemaker....to reflect Harnsers time in pistol shooting)............and you know what....im quite leased with the feel to it...it feels safe gouging and sliceing and cutting..........

i have decieded to go for Bronze fittings rather than brass...................

i need to drill some holes in it the peg placement and scales....but for now thats it , as i have other stuff coming up.....i needed to do this as i can continue to look and feel it over the coming weeks to satisfy myself that it is right..

:good:

template 001tn_.JPG

template 002tn_.JPG

template 003tn_.JPG

template 004tn_.JPG

template 005tn_.JPG

template 006tn_.JPG

template 007tn_.JPG

template 008tn_.JPG

template 009tn_.JPG

template 010tn_.JPG

template 011tn_.JPG

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looking good so far, don't give yourself a "Walkers thumb."

oohhhh..................i shudder just remembering those pics............i had more blood tests this morning and nearly passed out then.................dont mind other peoples blood so much ......i could never be a junky i would pass out everytime i saw a needle..:sick:

On 09/08/2018 at 20:21, ditchman said:

when its done .................have a word with Walker...he might put you straight on a nice plain pouch/sheath for it................anyway thats down the road a bit at the moment..

I would be happy to make a sheath for it but would need the knife in order to make a blank or you could send me an identical wooden blank to block the sheath out. 

Also have words with Linda, mels wife she does some fantastic stuff way above my pay scale.

The design looks superb and I look forward to seeing it develope.  Maybe a little file work on the back Hmmmmmm ???

Edited by Walker570

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you want talent...you only need to go as far as Demonwolf....................as i have said before i am a fiddler...

I agree that James (Demonwolf444) has a remarkable woodworking talent, but don't do yourself down Ditchy. Your own ability to strip and refurbish engines/machines, make knives from scratch etc. etc. Is a great talent in it's own right. Also your narrative, whether deliberate or not, contains much wit and wisdom and can be likened to Les Dawson's piano playing. That is meant most sincerely and not derogatory in any way, as your posts are always most informative and entertaining and the reason that all run into several pages and enjoyed by all on this forum.

It is clear that you have your own 'cross to bear' in your personal life but retain a sense of proportion and good humour, so please keep at it.

All the best.

OB

well thats very kind of to say that............

had a word with Harnser...asked for some meauserments of his hand...he has hands like qa cross between a spade and a grappling iron........................

the template that i made is absoloutly perfect for me and also just right for a lock knife...........so i made another template that will fit nice for him............over the coarse of time i will build up a stock of templates which will suit various needs...they are quick and easy to make and give a very good idea how something will work and handle at final design..

2nd template 001tn_.JPG

2nd template 002tn_.JPG