Jump to content

Re waxing wax...


Recommended Posts

With two boys interested in beating (one having completed his first season last year, the other to start) and my own stuff I have a lot of rewaxing to do and the Barbour stuff isn’t cheap, any suggestions for decent alternatives? It’s a rubbish job so I don’t want to make it any harder than necessary

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did mine last year and the secret is to take your time and use a heat gun to melt the wax in. Hung mine on the washing line and did it one section at a time using a paint stripper from around 18 inches away and keeping it moving all the time. 

Failing this (and not wanting to set yer coat on fire) use a hair dryer up close until you see the wax melt into the cotton.

I placed the tin in a pan of boiling water to soften it and then used a paint brush to apply the wax and melted it as I went along, that way you don't put too much wax into one area and the tin will last for a couple of coatings.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not a great fan of Nikwax, but if you heat up your tin of Barbour wax in a saucepan, brush it on ( especially the seams) and go over it with a very hot hairdryer, it’s quite a satisfying job I find. You probably already know that it’s best to have waterproof leggings if wearing a waxed jacket. 

Edited by Scully
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are far better materials out there than waxed cloth . I gave up on Barbour jackets many years ago and now wear jackets made from modern materials . Waxed jackets served their purpose years ago when there wasn’t a real alternative . 

Had several Barbour jackets over the years ,never had one that didn’t leak after a while ,Always sweated up in them and they were cold in really cold weather . Couldn’t be faffing about waxing a jacket again .

harnser

Link to post
Share on other sites

Markets sell wax coats at a throw away price these days. £25 will last a season or 2. 

But as stated better coats are available and less hassle and more waterproof. Deer hunter game keeper coats for example, thick canvas type materials so tuff as old boots without the small and poor performance of wax cotton. 

And only about £50

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harnser said:

There are far better materials out there than waxed cloth . I gave up on Barbour jackets many years ago and now wear jackets made from modern materials . Waxed jackets served their purpose years ago when there wasn’t a real alternative . 

Had several Barbour jackets over the years ,never had one that didn’t leak after a while ,Always sweated up in them and they were cold in really cold weather . Couldn’t be faffing about waxing a jacket again .

harnser

+1

I am a traditionalist at heart, but the wax jacket is a tradition to which I can happily bid "good riddance"; cold in winter, stiff, sweaty when walking, and muck up car seats etc.  Never again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Markets sell wax coats at a throw away price these days. £25 will last a season or 2. 

But as stated better coats are available and less hassle and more waterproof. Deer hunter game keeper coats for example, thick canvas type materials so tuff as old boots without the small and poor performance of wax cotton. 

And only about £50

Do you have a link to these, all I can find are fleeces with that name

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my wax gear. I have three Barbour jackets and two pairs of leggings. Admittedly there is much more effective ( warmer/breathable/waterproof) than traditional waxed clothing, but nothing turns a brier or thorn like waxed cotton or canvas. Ventile is another good product of course, but I only know of CC as manufacturers of clothing made from this. Its good stuff. 

If im standing at a peg then it’s anything but traditional Barbour, but if I’m beating through thick thorny cover then I won’t risk my goretex or any other membraned clothing. Waxed cotton every time. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sussex gardener said:

Do you have a link to these, all I can find are fleeces with that name

Sorry I did a search after I posted but didn't have time to 're post. 

The 1 I bought years ago cost me 50 at the midland, it's like canvas but I don't think they do that style now. I'll get it out and check the details on the clear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Graham M said:

Did mine last year and the secret is to take your time and use a heat gun to melt the wax in. Hung mine on the washing line and did it one section at a time using a paint stripper from around 18 inches away and keeping it moving all the time. 

Failing this (and not wanting to set yer coat on fire) use a hair dryer up close until you see the wax melt into the cotton.

I placed the tin in a pan of boiling water to soften it and then used a paint brush to apply the wax and melted it as I went along, that way you don't put too much wax into one area and the tin will last for a couple of coatings.

 

I heated the wax too, it did a 12 years olds jacket, treggings, hat and that’s it .. with me being built for comfort rather than speed I’m not sure one tin will cater for my jacket and treggings..

14 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

If you can put it in a hot greenhouse for a few days before and after to get thoroughly soaked in whatever you use.

Conservatory worked well, hottter than Hades in there!

13 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Or bin the coats and get goretex or suchlike! Lol!!

Would last one day beating if lucky

13 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not a great fan of Nikwax, but if you heat up your tin of Barbour wax in a saucepan, brush it on ( especially the seams) and go over it with a very hot hairdryer, it’s quite a satisfying job I find. You probably already know that it’s best to have waterproof leggings if wearing a waxed jacket. 

Indeed.. and to make sure outside of wellies!

10 hours ago, Harnser said:

There are far better materials out there than waxed cloth . I gave up on Barbour jackets many years ago and now wear jackets made from modern materials . Waxed jackets served their purpose years ago when there wasn’t a real alternative . 

Had several Barbour jackets over the years ,never had one that didn’t leak after a while ,Always sweated up in them and they were cold in really cold weather . Couldn’t be faffing about waxing a jacket again .

harnser

Yeah but modern materials don’t stand up to brambles...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I have started to use the gold label stuff, £8 for 400g vs £10 for 100g of the barbour stuff at my local.

 

I reproof twice a year but should probably be doing it more often. It will be interesting to see how the gold label compares to the barbour stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...