Plummer documentary

Hamster

Immortalised by his books and the terrier he left behind, made my school days tolerable reading his exploits. I would have loved to have met him and despite what some say about his personality I'd imagine a week in his company and among his friends would have crammed half a lifetimes worth of knowledge and fun into it.  

Edited by Hamster

That brought back memories, I had the good fortune to meet Brian many moons ago and came away with one of his blue merle collie X greyhound pups and I'm not just saying this as many of my mates and lads I've lamped against over the years will agree it turned out to be the best day/night rabbiting dog I ever owned, ( and I've had a few over my 64 years), Brian was like a talking book and an hour in his company passed before you knew it, thank you for posting this.

2 hours ago, rapid .25 said:

That brought back memories, I had the good fortune to meet Brian many moons ago and came away with one of his blue merle collie X greyhound pups and I'm not just saying this as many of my mates and lads I've lamped against over the years will agree it turned out to be the best day/night rabbiting dog I ever owned, ( and I've had a few over my 64 years), Brian was like a talking book and an hour in his company passed before you knew it, thank you for posting this.

Cheers for posting chaps, really enjoyed the videos!

Think I must have had every one of Plummers books and was obsessed with all things, terrier and lurcher back in the eighties.

One of my friends turned up at his house in Caithness after tracking him down, he was 18- 19 at the time and just knocked on his door and was very warmly welcomed, he stayed with him for a couple of weeks if I recall correctly. He said he was quite eccentric but a well read and fascinating character. The poor chap ended up passing away with cancer.

atb

7diaw

Enjoyed watching that cheers, Had a Plummer terrier years ago, Great ratting dog but he just couldn't get on with my son who was only about 4 at the time, Used to nip him every chance he got so he had to go(The Dog), my mates just got 2 Plummer pups for ratting so should have some fun when there old enough. 

Excellent vid of times now gone by

make me chuckle just before he released the fox " we will remove it / put it in a place that they aren't considered vermin"

no mate, but the  pack hounds will deal with him later lol

thanks Hamster, I enjoyed the vids

kjf

Edited by flynny

Interesting reading this ,I too read his books when I was younger and taken in by all the artistic writing which turns out to be a lot of lies.

I read recently on a working dog website that he wasn't a very nice man and indeed full of lies ..

But at the time there wasn't any other hunting books available so he sold loads and unfortunately loads of lads starting out hunting believed the rubbish he wrote.

I agree he was an eccentric character though ..

8 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Interesting reading this ,I too read his books when I was younger and taken in by all the artistic writing which turns out to be a lot of lies.

I read recently on a working dog website that he wasn't a very nice man and indeed full of lies ..

But at the time there wasn't any other hunting books available so he sold loads and unfortunately loads of lads starting out hunting believed the rubbish he wrote.

I agree he was an eccentric character though ..

Give us a few specific examples of the rubbish he wrote. 

8 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Merle the start of a dynasty , the fox killing lurcher that never had a mark on it

Fair enough, could be a bit of a artistic licence mind. I've stood in front of 3 yr old cars and described them as out of the box to customers. 

Having never met him I learned fairly recently about his "personality" which apparently some found a handful. To deride and mock him for that isn't quite cricket though, there are one or two living shooting legends today that at least used to have god awful abrasive personalities when I first met them but that hasn't stopped me from singing their praises when it's obvious that the content/context of what comes out of their lives contributions is for the good. 

Give us a few more specific examples, you did after all claim he wrote rubbish. 

He was financially on his backside so wrote fabricated nonsense to sell books which he was good at.

There was pics in his books of rabbits being dropped for a pic and game being saved and put together to make it look like a big catch ....

He liked pics but not one photo of the massive 200/300 rats per night he allegedly caught .......

I agree with Hamster - the man was a genuine character - the only man to be banned from the Society which he founded. I see a couple of examples quoted, but nothing to justify this panning.

Well if you read it on a website, it must be true. With so many lies, it must be quite easy to rattle off a few thousand examples.

As for the missing photo, I recall seeing all these rats on  programme many years ago.

Anyone who has read more than one of his books can see him for a hypocrite, slagging others off for the same breeding practices that he was using with both terriers and lurchers. Him and Hancock dog farmers on a scale that dwarfs the "back yard" breeders he disparages