Jump to content
JDog

75 for 17? That can’t be right.

    Recommended Posts

    Today’s excercise was purely PR. Access to maize covers was denied as someone was already lined up to shoot one of them. However I was offered the opportunity to ‘keep the birds moving’ (a euphemism if ever I heard one) by standing in a wood some distance from the decoyer. With a 30 mph wind forecast I accepted.

    Travelling with just cartridges and gun I was soon in position and into action. These pigeons were good, too good for me at times but I did fire a lot of shots and I really enjoyed it. After two hours I ran out of cartridges. I had emptied the feathers and other debris out of my cartridge bag this morning and filled it with 75 cartridges. When I had a pick up I had 17 pigeons. Not good.

    On my way back through the wood re tracing my steps I spotted an unfired cartridge of mine, then another and another until I had found 27 in total all of which had fallen out of my bag. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Every cloud has a silver lining Mate!

    It is really 17 for 48.:rolleyes:

    I do hope the "Decoyer" appreciated your efforts!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I used to have one of those cartridge bags too  !           Strangely enough, it seemed to 'repair' itself,  shortly after eldest Grandson moved to New Zealand    !     😄

    Edited by Westley

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Westley said:

    I used to have one of those cartridge bags too  !           Strangely enough, it seemed to 'repair' itself,  shortly after eldest Grandson moved to New Zealand    !     😄

    🤣

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    You will have to train Jasper as a sniffer dog for lost shells if old age is here to stay , 17 in the strong wind was still a tidy score and I am sure many of us would have liked to come out of the wood today with 17.

    Tomorrow on paper should be a good day to be in the woods doing the same thing , 25 / 30 m p h winds and dry conditions .

    Last night we had a shoot meal where the talk soon got round to last week first day in the woods roost shooting , by all accounts it was not as good as last year , there was 33 permits issued out and the highest score I heard was 21 and the lowest was 0 , the majority who I spoke to was in between 6 and 12.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    "After two hours I ran out of cartridges."

    Hmmm. And I wasn't around to sell you some more. Shame.

    I had a little roost shooting yesterday, after an invitation from a friend who had a new permission. Well, he's struck it lucky, real pigeon country. Woods, arable, cover crops, the lot. I shot four very good pigeons in the wind (hard to believe I know, JDog) and a crow. Well satisfied.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have a few problems of my own when it comes to cartridge use, the main one is the amount I drop when trying to reload, cold old fingers soon fumble on the smooth cases, I know I have dropped it but the number of times I have to get on my hands and knees to find it , they seem to go everywhere except where you think they should be, then I have to put the gun down to clean the mud off them, this shooting can be so tedious !!!

    Anyway bless you for helping the other guy out by going into the wood and creating hell so he had a few over his head, not many would help out like that.

    I cant get on with roost shooting, I can barely keep the gun on them in clear sky but put a tree in the way and I have no chance.

    Anyway I don't have to worry as I'm laid up again with a horrendous cold, I had only just shaken off the last one from Christmas, but only 3 sessions later and back it came with a vengeance, this time the wife got it as well, worse than me so she cant look after me, we just sit staring at the telly for hours and groaning while wiping the dribbles from eyes and noses, neither of us has had a cooked meal in three days , I just top up on cereals and cold tinned rice pudding, but the missus just keeps throwing up so nothing for her, bless her. we even had to warn everyone not to come visiting, 

    All the gear is in the shed still covered in mud from the last session in a very muddy maize cover , I only managed 3 between coughing so much I gave myself a headache, I do love my shooting, roll on summer😪:yahoo::good:to you all and ✌️to the pigeons

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Forgive the slightly unhelpful tip from a newbie, but I recently spent the grand sum of £11.50 on a Jack Pyke cartridge belt.  I’ve found it reduces the cartridge-fumble factor by 50% with cold hands, as unlike pulling them out of a bag/pocket, they are always in the correct orientation for putting up the spout. I think the belt holds 1 box worth, which may or may not be sufficient for you, but it should be easy enough to replenish in the field

    It’s not a perfect solution, but it may avoid having to train a cartridge-hound.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    22 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

    Forgive the slightly unhelpful tip from a newbie, but I recently spent the grand sum of £11.50 on a Jack Pyke cartridge belt.  I’ve found it reduces the cartridge-fumble factor by 50% with cold hands, as unlike pulling them out of a bag/pocket, they are always in the correct orientation for putting up the spout. I think the belt holds 1 box worth, which may or may not be sufficient for you, but it should be easy enough to replenish in the field

    It’s not a perfect solution, but it may avoid having to train a cartridge-hound.

    I will take your helpful advice on board. However even if I had a cartridge belt, which I presume would hold 25 cartridges, I would still have spilled some on my walk through the woods.

     

    Edited by JDog

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    13 minutes ago, JDog said:

    I will take your helpful advice on board. However even if I had a cartridge belt, which I presume would hold 25 cartridges, I would still have spilled some on my walk through the woods.

     

    do two belts .."crossed"..........and we will call you "el lobo solo"....................the lone wolf..:lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

    do two belts .."crossed"..........and we will call you "el lobo solo"....................the lone wolf..:lol:

    you have cut him real deep ditchy, what about the belted Galloway.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, kenholland said:

    you have cut him real deep ditchy, what about the belted Galloway.

    he can take it........:good:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

    Forgive the slightly unhelpful tip from a newbie, but I recently spent the grand sum of £11.50 on a Jack Pyke cartridge belt.  I’ve found it reduces the cartridge-fumble factor by 50% with cold hands, as unlike pulling them out of a bag/pocket, they are always in the correct orientation for putting up the spout. I think the belt holds 1 box worth, which may or may not be sufficient for you, but it should be easy enough to replenish in the field

    It’s not a perfect solution, but it may avoid having to train a cartridge-hound.

    I am far to tight to spend my well earnt money on a cartridge bag and I am not that keen on a cartridge belt , my solution was a camara case , bought one from a car boot a couple of years ago , it's got a shoulder strap with a padded piece that sit nicely on the top of your shoulder , the case itself hold exactly three boxes and there is just enough room on top of the cartridge boxes for my little battery radio , how much ? ..... £2.00 , and as far as I know I have got back home without losing any :good:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, ditchman said:

    do two belts .."crossed"..........and we will call you "el lobo solo"....................the lone wolf..

    Hahaha! I love that idea! Combined with a big handle bar moustache and a poncho maybe “el j dogo”

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

    Forgive the slightly unhelpful tip from a newbie, but I recently spent the grand sum of £11.50 on a Jack Pyke cartridge belt.  I’ve found it reduces the cartridge-fumble factor by 50% with cold hands, as unlike pulling them out of a bag/pocket, they are always in the correct orientation for putting up the spout. I think the belt holds 1 box worth, which may or may not be sufficient for you, but it should be easy enough to replenish in the field

    It’s not a perfect solution, but it may avoid having to train a cartridge-hound.

    J dog- I think the advice was aimed at me for fumbling around like a schoolboy on his first date, Dropping them I mean,😱 I have not used a belt since the early 1970's and always found them uncomfortable, always getting caught on brambles and barbed wire, anyway I don't think I will find one to fit round my gut these days 😁

    Edited by lakeside1000

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, marsh man said:

    I am far to tight to spend my well earnt money on a cartridge bag and I am not that keen on a cartridge belt , my solution was a camara case , bought one from a car boot a couple of years ago , it's got a shoulder strap with a padded piece that sit nicely on the top of your shoulder , the case itself hold exactly three boxes and there is just enough room on top of the cartridge boxes for my little battery radio , how much ? ..... £2.00 , and as far as I know I have got back home without losing any :good:

    Same here J. I picked another up last Sunday at Harford park and ride for 3 quid, nice square size with fully opening top flap and it will hold about 200 cartridges, not that I could carry it full or dream of firing 200 in one sitting, I never see that many birds, especially when Im napping, for you youngsters thats something old uns do halfway through a session when things are a bit slow.:good:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

    J dog- I think the advice was aimed at me for fumbling around like a schoolboy on his first date, Dropping them I mean,😱 I have not used a belt since the early 1970's and always found them uncomfortable, always getting caught on brambles and barbed wire, anyway I don't think I will find one to fit round my gut these days 😁

    And I was referring to that terrible duo Ditchman and Wilksy.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Crocs instead of sandals and you’ve nailed it! 

    Edited by Wilksy II

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 10/02/2019 at 17:32, JDog said:

    I will take your helpful advice on board. However even if I had a cartridge belt, which I presume would hold 25 cartridges, I would still have spilled some on my walk through the woods.

     

    Here you are Mr JDog , hold 75+ , comfortable to carry , cheap at a couple of quid and last but not least ....... spill prof.

    SAM-8056.jpg

    SAM-8053.jpg 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thank you MM. I see you have had your name embossed on the bag.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    55 minutes ago, JDog said:

    Thank you MM. I see you have had your name embossed on the bag.

    ooohhh this is going to get nasty............"there will be tears before bedtime"............

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×