A couple times a year Demacrats and Republicans put aside their differences to fire guns into the air.

Since our Independence Day is fast approaching I thought you guys would get a kick out of a local tradition.  Everyone rides around town and fires guns into the air at all the intersections.  Blanks shots of course.  You can hear the cannons fire from miles. If your wondering about the tape on the rifles it’s because you are supposed to load them with way to much powder to prove that your gun is stronger.  The tape keeps the stock together.  The stupid hats I can’t explain as it they only started appearing a few years back. It starts at midnight and everyone stops and fires into the air every hour until midnight the next day.  Some people will load different metals and chemicals into then to make colorful muzzle flashes.  

650EEF3B-57C2-499C-B5BE-C00A311A31A7.jpeg

C1653489-B0DA-4D02-BCAD-CA742802BD10.jpeg

E4B6FEFE-F328-42E3-A8E3-1B91E315E9BD.jpeg

570EDD2B-7B35-4E52-A5F1-F715F1C4D300.jpeg

3A872797-CC1D-46EA-94BC-8C764AA91AEB.jpeg

FF2A7CBE-FB9B-4D4B-B379-5DF340FF18BD.jpeg

E041EB07-D112-45E2-A9D1-CDCF76F030BF.jpeg

C3E39CAE-51A4-4F6C-B240-4D634F4FF786.jpeg

8CF7F1B5-6F0F-4058-8141-0229634230BF.jpeg

A9C4BBB9-3DA6-4D91-9600-AF5885F2904A.jpeg

9A1C4CB4-757F-40A8-8A25-F10EE761902D.jpeg

B57E1E13-F161-4BE9-8881-ED104EC7E8F9.jpeg

4F37269D-17BB-4A4F-A04D-C177AE78CA62.jpeg

33DAF791-D9A5-475A-9E66-C348B442EAC1.jpeg

719C5772-4FF7-4322-8BA8-C624A331C35C.jpeg

DB824160-A596-464C-A08D-3491939839E3.jpeg

F130CF71-12F4-447E-A35C-FBB946382977.jpeg

989F941E-0022-49EB-9972-8DD25438DC86.jpeg

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

Are they doing this by the fuel pumps to see who can make the BIGGEST bang?

😂 the point is to make the loudest bang,  but not like that. 😂.  It’s every hour on the hour.  So I guess if your pumping gas you do what you got to do.  

If you blow your gun up you get your picture in the paper.  

The town mural even has people shooting in the air. 

8A690656-75F4-4B6A-8688-FEF03E1FD8FD.jpeg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

1 minute ago, old'un said:

Is the reason for the guns not being shouldered a safety one?

Goes back to people loading way to much powder into their guns.   But even if you load a safe load you still do it out of tradition.  Plus it makes it look like you have a bigger powder charge if you appear to be scared to pull the trigger. 

Interesting to try that in a public place in the UK! Lol! You'd have the police armed response unit, anti terrorist police, helicopters and "Uncle Tom Cobley and all" (from an old Devonshire folk song entitled Widecombe Fair......meaning everyone!) turn out!

9 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Interesting to try that in a public place in the UK! Lol! You'd have the police armed response unit, anti terrorist police, helicopters and "Uncle Tom Cobley and all" (from an old Devonshire folk song entitled Widecombe Fair......meaning everyone!) turn out!

Lol,  yea you can’t do it with say a AK47. In North Carolina muzzle loaders and guns made before 1898 are not considered firearms.  Felons can own them, you can mail order them,  and you can fire them in parking lots.  Some towns have noise ordinance in place but even the police join in on special occasions.   I mean legally you can do in my town on any day as we have no noise ordinance but nobody does.  You would probably freak someone out on a non holiday.  

9 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Goes back to people loading way to much powder into their guns.   But even if you load a safe load you still do it out of tradition.  Plus it makes it look like you have a bigger powder charge if you appear to be scared to pull the trigger. 

Trying to blow our guns up is something we try to avoid in the UK, Is the local A&E busy at this time?

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Trying to blow our guns up is something we try to avoid in the UK, Is the local A&E busy at this time?

Not sure what A and E is but blown up guns is rare.  The tape and being scared stance is more traditional now but it does happen.  Now people are moving toward colorful smoke and sparks.  We buy different color fireworks and crush them up in the powder charge.  The being said their is always a fool that pushes it to far.  But that’s why you don’t  wrap you hand around the barrel.  

Just now, NoBodyImportant said:

Not sure what A and E is but blown up guns is rare.  The tape and being scared stance is more traditional now but it does happen.  Now people are moving toward colorful smoke and sparks.  We buy different color fireworks and crush them up in the powder charge.  The being said their is always a fool that pushes it to far.  But that’s why you don’t  wrap you hand around the barrel.  

Plus you always squint your eyes,  safety first. 

10 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Plus you always squint your eyes,  safety first. 

Our health and safety directives would be absolutely fine with that 😄

It looks like everyones having a lot of fun, and as long as the death toll is kept to a minimum , a worthy tradition.

I can guarantee nothing like that could happen here, our closest equivalent, Bonfire, or Guy Fawkes night, faces much criticism from the snowflake brigade.

Just now, panoma1 said:

A&E = Accident and Emergency Dept of a hospital!

I was guessing something like that. 

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Our health and safety directives would be absolutely fine with that 😄

It looks like everyones having a lot of fun, and as long as the death toll is kept to a minimum , a worthy tradition.

I can guarantee nothing like that could happen here, our closest equivalent, Bonfire, or Guy Fawkes night, faces much criticism from the snowflake brigade.

I not sure why but I will see at least two Guy Fawke mask while people are out celebrating.  I not even sure they know the history of him.  

3 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I was guessing something like that. 

I not sure why but I will see at least two Guy Fawke mask while people are out celebrating.  I not even sure they know the history of him.  

He (and others) plotted to blow up the houses of Parliament.....and was executed for his part in it............some may say he was unfortunate not to succeed....especially when you consider the self serving, anti democratic toerags we have today's Parliament! 

Just now, panoma1 said:

He (and others) plotted to blow up the houses of Parliament.....and was executed for his part in it............some may say he was unfortunate not to succeed....especially when you consider the self serving, anti democratic toerags we have today's Parliament! 

Oh I’m a history buff,  especially UK history.  But I’d guess 99% of people here know him as the mask from the movie V. 

1 minute ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Oh I’m a history buff,  especially UK history.  But I’d guess 99% of people here know him as the mask from the movie V. 

Well we have plenty of it! Lol!.......Let's hope we make plenty more when we're free of the EU!

59 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

The Guy Fawkes mask has been adopted by groups like 'Anonymous' as a symbol of government defiance, rebellion ect.
Very apt for 4 July celebrations.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Yup 

i understand tradition 

however kids with no ear or eye protection? = stupidity 

loading a antique gun beyond capacity = stupidity 

along with firing it next to a fuel pump questionable mentality

hopefully everyone survives this day of celebration

thanks for sharing

Yea,  my son always wear ear protection.  But black powder is safer the most people realize.  It seems weird but most people around here don’t want  to tell others how to raise their children.  The extreme left cities like to butt into parents lives and think the state should have a say in everything.  

Edit:  I just realized this sounded snappy.  It was not meant to be.  I just didn’t want you think it was.  Just hard to explain via text. 

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Yea,  my son always wear ear protection.  But black powder is safer the most people realize.  It seems weird but most people around here don’t want  to tell others how to raise their children.  The extreme left cities like to butt into parents lives and think the state should have a say in everything.  

I’m well aware of how safe black powder is🙄  especially when it’s mixed with the contents of fire works 

the standard load for one of my old guns is 3ounces of it 

not telling anyone how to raise there kids just saying there should be a modicum of safety applied to ensure they do grow up with all their limbs hearing and eye sight 

iv seen too many traditions stooped because the few have messed it up for the many 

All the best 

of