BREXIT

JohnfromUK

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Well - there is a problem with housing, schools, medical facilities, transport etc.  These are not 'fixed' in an instant (need to build, train, recruit etc.); so to take the pressure off the shortages in the shorter term, reduce demand by reducing net immigration.

And there is the rub. The migration should be followed with support for infrastructure AND we should spend much much more on education reducing the need for migration.

1 minute ago, oowee said:

we should spend much much more on education reducing the need for migration.

It doesn't seem to work like that - we have a VASTLY higher rate of University attendance than 25 years ago ......... but it doesn't seem to achieve much

Just now, oowee said:

And there is the rub. The migration should be followed with support for infrastructure AND we should spend much much more on education reducing the need for migration.

But , but , glorious leader blair said only a few thousand would come ??
Your main man stuffed us with his err , ineptness , is that the word ? :lol::whistling:

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Me too, plus arent we all getting face scanned and bio metric data ed ?
My phone does it , why cant that be your ID.

👍 Its not a vote winner but I would go for it. When I am in Europe i have to carry ID whilst driving in Poland and Slavakia. It's the first thing I hand over at the very frequent (looking for a tip) check points. 

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

It doesn't seem to work like that - we have a VASTLY higher rate of University attendance than 25 years ago ......... but it doesn't seem to achieve much

Agreed. We should rethink the loans system and look to support key industries. We need proper vocational training (craft and skilled apprenticeships). Look at the often poor quality of training for students that do not want to continue to university. Where is their support? Better education will make more money for the UK and save money through reduced support services. 

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

You can't even get them in the UK any more I understand.  You used to be able to have a voluntary one.

I did not know that. 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

whilst driving in Poland and Slavakia. It's the first thing I hand over at the very frequent (looking for a tip) check points. 

Good to know our friends in the EU are keeping up with the spirit of fair play and keeping the fires of corruption burning.

My friends BIL is a cop in Romania , and does a tidy sideline in fake speeding tickets, dont you just love diversity ?

Good to know our friends in the EU are keeping up with the spirit of fair play and keeping the fires of corruption burning.

My friends BIL is a cop in Romania , and does a tidy sideline in fake speeding tickets, dont you just love diversity ?

😖 Whilst in Slovakia I parked in a disabled spot in a supermarket car park whilst my wife popped in to use the facilities. A passing cop car pulled alongside me and asked for ID. I handed it over and my wife returned to the car. The cops wanted to issue a ticket for parking in the spot. I asked my wife to tell them that they had no jurisdiction on a supermarket car park. Very reluctantly she told them (or at least I think she did) and they had to let me go. They were only looking for a tip and could see my Polish plates and though it would be an easy 20 euro. 

It will be a while before these countries catch up and that's were the EU pushes the agenda and helps them get there quicker. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

It will be a while before these countries catch up and that's were the EU pushes the agenda and helps them get there quicker.

Before I retired I worked for a large American Company.  We had to undergo regular training to ensure we complied with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) which came in well before the UK Anti Bribery Act.  My employers took it very seriously (as major suppliers to the US government) and we were shown (geographical) charts of where bribery was most common.  Some parts of Europe did not come off well.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

Before I retired I worked for a large American Company.  We had to undergo regular training to ensure we complied with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) which came in well before the UK Anti Bribery Act.  My employers took it very seriously (as major suppliers to the US government) and we were shown (geographical) charts of where bribery was most common.  Some parts of Europe did not come off well.

It's one of the reasons some of the accession states (Sebia and Montenegro) are struggling to join the EU. I do wonder about Italy too. In a former life I had Italian relatives and was backwards and forwards to Rome. The kids there had to pay to get the right university places. 

29 minutes ago, oowee said:

will be a while before these countries catch up and that's were the EU pushes the agenda and helps them get there quicker. 🙂 

I see, so the EU can fundamentally change the culture and practices of a member nations ?

Nothing a good influx of 3rd world 'refugees' cant sort out eh ? Oh wait !

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I see, so the EU can fundamentally change the culture and practices of a member nations ?

More so than they will achieve on their own don't you think 👍

It's all about building capacity. More future customers for the UK eh? Oh wait?

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Several mates are regular hauliers to most EU countries, they say they’ve had to pay for none existent ‘irregularities’ in most countries. 

When there is a clash of , shall we call them cultural practices ? 1 of 3 things tend to happen .
 The host country absorbs the practice and adopts it.
The host country rejects the practice, either by legislation or the host countries own counter culture combats it.
Something in the middle.

It usually depends on weight of numbers, which leads us to...

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

More so than they will achieve on their own don't you think 👍

It's all about building capacity. More future customers for the UK eh? Oh wait?

The more the merrier ?
Or the more Slovakia ? 😛

How long before we have eastern European cops dishing out fake on the spot fines here ?

Edited by Rewulf

The more the merrier ?
Or the more Slovakia ? 😛

How long before we have eastern European cops dishing out fake on the spot fines here ?

We don't need that we have enough of our own legit ones making up their own rules on my firearms. 

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Me too, plus arent we all getting face scanned and bio metric data ed ?
My phone does it , why cant that be your ID.

Fancy a Chinese style Social Credit System too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osf2khoDnoo&t=474s

I can live with carrying a photo driving license. Damned if I'm going to willingly hand over my biometric data to anyone, be they governmental or corporate. 

On the subject of corruption, the book Plain Tales From The Raj is interesting reading. Aside from giving a movie of Raj life, if anyone wonders how the British managed to hang onto India for centuries, I'd posit that the most important factor was that British administrators were utterly incorruptible. And that gave them unshakeable moral authority.

To modern cynics who'd say that this incorruptibility was a fiction, I'd say that as a prep school boy in the 60s I caught the tail end of the kind of indoctrination that had been in place for at least a century for the purpose of conditioning a conveyor line of self-sacrificing young men to go out and serve the Empire. People might laugh at the naivety now, but the concept of 'honorable' behaviour underpinned everything.

A different time I suppose.

Edited by Retsdon

26 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

On the subject of corruption, the book Plain Tales From The Raj is interesting reading. Aside from giving a movie of Raj life, if anyone wonders how the British managed to hang onto India for centuries, I'd posit that the most important factor was that British administrators were utterly incorruptible. And that gave them unshakeable moral authority.

To modern cynics who'd say that this incorruptibility was a fiction, I'd say that as a prep school boy in the 60s I caught the tail end of the kind of indoctrination that had been in place for at least a century for the purpose of conditioning a conveyor line of self-sacrificing young men to go out and serve the Empire. People might laugh at the naivety now, but the concept of 'honorable' behaviour underpinned everything.

A different time I suppose.

You may find a more convincing reason in ‘Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind’. 

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

You may find a more convincing reason in ‘Sapiens: A Brief History of Mankind’. 

I'll look it out and try and read it. In the meantime I can understand why a generation of young men walked knowingly into machine gun fire in 1916. 

30 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I'll look it out and try and read it. In the meantime I can understand why a generation of young men walked knowingly into machine gun fire in 1916. 

Because the conscripts would have been shot for cowardice if they didn't?