BREXIT

JohnfromUK

Just now, Rewulf said:

That's a big bag of assumptions youre carrying there! Let me help you with that. 

We are just leaving a trading bloc aren't we? 😏

39 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Give me an example of when the ECHR has protected the UK? 

Damn right I'm saying bin it, ASAP. 

Not fit for purpose, and not needed, just another station on the gravy train. 

21 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

As soon as we leave, the swastika will be unfurled over the houses of Parliament, and the new order will be proclaimed! 

Ein volk! Ein riech! Ein Farage! 🤣

:hmm:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, oowee said:

but opposing the Council of Europe and ECHR is surely a step towards a centralised dictatorship

Are you serious? 

The EU IS a centralised dictatorship! 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Remind me where do the Brexit party stand on the abolition of the monarchy

No idea, irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Council of Europe is not the EU. 

I didn't say it was, its you that says we would be leaving it, and the ECHR, I doubt we will, but here's hoping 😁

49 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I know you are right, and it really pees me off. 

We will be leaving, and soon. 

There are also murmurings of the Boris deal being scrapped, and a Canada style deal put into place, AFTER we have left under the pretence of the WA? 

Have faith, business will work far better once we are free of them, and the driving force behind the way we gain that freedom, will be UK business. 

6 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I didn't say it was, its you that says we would be leaving it, and the ECHR, I doubt we will, but here's hoping 😁

There are also murmurings of the Boris deal being scrapped, and a Canada style deal put into place, AFTER we have left under the pretence of the WA? 

Have faith, business will work far better once we are free of them, and the driving force behind the way we gain that freedom, will be UK business. 

So hope you are right, but i just dont see an end to this.

On 18/11/2019 at 21:08, Rewulf said:

what is this business you refer to, nobody I know in industry appears to agree with you?

Over the decades Mauritius has staked its claim and finally - particularly after the Brexit vote - Britain's traditional allies in the international community have started to desert Britain, to abstain or to vote against it at the UN.

And the UN is now taking pretty significant steps to say: "Britain you are behaving appallingly, this is still colonialism - give it back."

Britain has ignored those calls - so what might any repercussions look like?

Sanctions would be slow, incremental and largely institutional - in the sense that Britain is going to find itself squeezed at institutions that it has traditionally seen as very important.

Britain no longer has a judge on 14-seat International Court of Justice in The Hague, and it's going to start to see UN maps reflecting the legal fact that the UN sees this islands as belonging to Mauritius.

According to Mauritius, the proposal to separate the Chagos Archipelago stemmed from a decision by the United Kingdom in the early 1960s to "accommodate the United States’ desire to use certain islands in the Indian Ocean for defence purposes." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagos_Archipelago_sovereignty_dispute

Diego Garcia is basically a massive USAF base, so provided Britain keeps responding 'how high?' when America says  'jump!' British sovereignty over the Chagos islands is probably safe.

On 19/11/2019 at 00:08, Rewulf said:

and a Canada style deal put into place,

Negotiations for CETA started in 2008. Trade agreements on this scale aren't simply 'put in place' and once Britain has left the EU and any bridging agreement has expired, any trade future deal will be negotiated on the basis that Britain is a 3rd party country seeking access to the EU's Single Market. A comprehensive agreement would also be in the interests of the EU of course, but nevertheless the notion that a deal with the EU can just be slotted into place in a matter of months is dangerously misguided. These things take years and years.

6 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Negotiations for CETA started in 2008. Trade agreements on this scale aren't simply 'put in place' and once Britain has left the EU and any bridging agreement has expired, any trade future deal will be negotiated on the basis that Britain is a 3rd party country seeking access to the EU's Single Market. A comprehensive agreement would also be in the interests of the EU of course, but nevertheless the notion that a deal with the EU can just be slotted into place in a matter of months is dangerously misguided. These things take years and years.

Agreed that suggesting a timeline of months is optimistic in the extreme, however the UK starts from a position of full regulatory compliance, unlike Canada, so it should be a significantly shortened discussion, unless of course the EU want to give a message.

They have done that throughout negotiations to date, by their own admission, so we should expect the same.

Also worth noting the UK trade with the EU is of significantly greater value than Canada.

As ever the truth shall sit somewhere in the middle of the extremes as presented by those on both sides of the argument.

1 minute ago, grrclark said:

however the UK starts from a position of full regulatory compliance,

As do nearly all countries in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_technical_standard_organizations

Where Britain differs is that we currently share regulatory oversight and enforcement systems with the EU. But continuing shared oversight and enforcement was one of May's 'red lines', so once we leave we'll be no different to any other country that applies ISO or other international standards. 

8 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

As do nearly all countries in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_technical_standard_organizations

Where Britain differs is that we currently share regulatory oversight and enforcement systems with the EU. But continuing shared oversight and enforcement was one of May's 'red lines', so once we leave we'll be no different to any other country that applies ISO or other international standards. 

It is disingenuous to suggest that we will be no different to any other non member state, that is simply not true as we have been part of the EU and markets across the trade spectrum are maturely developed between the UK and EU.

It is a very different negotiation to any other trade deal, that’s not to say that it will be as simple as is being suggested, but it simply is not true to suggest that we are starting from the same position as any other non member state.

16 minutes ago, grrclark said:

It is disingenuous to suggest that we will be no different to any other non member state, that is simply not true as we have been part of the EU and markets across the trade spectrum are maturely developed between the UK and EU.

It is a very different negotiation to any other trade deal, that’s not to say that it will be as simple as is being suggested, but it simply is not true to suggest that we are starting from the same position as any other non member state.

Whilst its true we are not starting from the same point the difficulty will be the point that we are starting from. The very favorable and virtually seamless seamless trading arrangement that we have now will in itself be a hurdle to negotiate. We have to accept a diminution of our trading arrangement even if that is simply one of delay and paperwork over the situation we have now.