Pistol Grip v Straight Hand Stock.

Robertt

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

I used to own, and really enjoyed using, a AYA sxs with a pistol grip. Great gun. 
The only thing I dislike about sxs’s is the double triggers, but that’s possibly because I’m mostly used to a single trigger.  

Most people I have met who learnt on a single trigger either struggle with, or simply cannot use a gun with double triggers.

Personally, I would not have a single trigger gun as a gift.

No issues with the left hand but I learnt shooting reading books from the old masters. Straight left arm was the classic pose which worked for me when I was a slim kid. Now I'm a BFB I discovered a straight left hand severely restricts shoulder movement.

As for the subject I have no problems about the aesthetic appearance of a pistol grip as years ago used English fowling and live pigeon guns.

To throw some more light on the subject I have just had both guns out and studied the grip on both.

The pistol grip fills my hand and goes into the same position every time. 

In contrast the straight grip is more akin to grabbing a brush pole and the same position is not guaranteed.

I have unfeasably large hands which may also be a factor.

I'm following this thread with more interest than usual. Having only been shooting for just over 3 years ( so,thats at least 50 potential shooting years wasted!) I have almost exclusively shot. 725 browning O/U  with a palm swell which I really seem to be getting on with. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Vincenzo BERNADELLI SxS and have only used it a couple of times with varying results, probably because I have been holding it like my O/U.  So I shall follow the above advice and change my grip 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Most people I have met who learnt on a single trigger either struggle with, or simply cannot use a gun with double triggers.

Personally, I would not have a single trigger gun as a gift.

hello, that  interesting, i think some people who start from scratch using a single trigger shotgun, then try a double trigger they might find  the LOP may not be the same required, i did buy a side by side a few years back, nice Spanish side lock XXV type, i could not get on with the double trigger having a single type O/U since the mid 1980s,  i even have a 1980s double trigger O/U  in the cabinet, never get used, my single trigger O/U  Yildiz suites me just right,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, that  interesting, i think some people who start from scratch using a single trigger shotgun, then try a double trigger they might find  the LOP may not be the same required, i did buy a side by side a few years back, nice Spanish side lock XXV type, i could not get on with the double trigger having a single type O/U since the mid 1980s,  i even have a 1980s double trigger O/U  in the cabinet, never get used, my single trigger O/U  Yildiz suites me just right,

My point precisely. I rest my case.

15 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, so Westerley and Wymberley you do not advocate grip holding the forend of a side by side? , what about the gun recoil ???????????????????

I hold my barrels at whatever position is most comfortable. All my guns - SbS and OU - are SHS and DT, 15" pull and within 1", 26" barrels, so very much alike. If I have to go from the more normal horizontal ish (decoying pigeon) mount to something overhead and perhaps plus a bit it becomes necessary to let my left hand slide back as if not I'll pull the barrels off line. Some who do not see their barrels at all might unknowingly suffer from this. Obviously driven bird shooters  whose gun has been fitted accordingkly will not suffer from this. Gripping the barrels would prevent one prevent one from making this adjustment. With regards to recoil, I will confess that my days with a 6&1/2 lb SbS and 1&1/2oz Eley 2&3/4" Magnum 3s are long gone.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Try loosing a few fingers then you maybe re-think your statement 

and you’d turn this down 😂😂😂😂😂

168EDC6A-C8A2-4742-A469-0339C08D9B6C.png

Fortunately, I still have all my fingers so I do not have a physical need for a single trigger gun.

Very nice, of course, but I must admit that in my (long) quest for a best London gun that I could afford I passed by a few single trigger Purdeys and Hollands as I specifically wanted double triggers for reliability and cheapness of repair.

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

6 1/2 lb guns were never intended for shooting 1 1/2 oz loads. You really need an 8 lb plus gun to even contemplate that.

I largely agree with the rest of your post.

So why were they proofed accordingly? I used one gun for everything - I think that there's something said about that - and recoil was never a problem for me with the relatively few number of shots taken.

all personal choice, used double triggers straight hand for rough shooting , interesting comment that you may prefer a best london gun for reliablity with double triggers...sort of says their single triggers are not reliable enough ? anyways game /rough I would happily use straight/double triggers with any type rib , clays if I wont to get a competative/my best possible score, semi pistol/beavertail/raised flat rib and  multichoke if thin and well done so no balance or aesthetic disturbance( for me not any one else!)   oh and a bit heavier than normal game one

yes a best london would be nice but thats just ownership of quality workman ship rather than a working tool. would probably be too scared to get a scratch on it rough shooting.

Edited by ivecojoe
spelling

7 minutes ago, ivecojoe said:

all personal choice, used double triggers straight hand for rough shooting , interesting comment that you may prefer a best london gun for reliablity with double triggers...sort of says their single triggers are not reliable enough ? anyways game /rough I would happily use straight/double triggers with any type rib , clays if I wont to get a competative/my best possible score, semi pistol/beavertail/raised flat rib and  multichoke if thin and well done so no balance or aesthetic disturbance( for me not any one else!)   oh and a bit heavier than normal game one

yes a best london would be nice but thats just ownership of quality workman ship rather than a working tool. would probably be too scared to get a scratch on it rough shooting.

Correct. I don’t think the older British single triggers on the London guns that I can afford are particularly reliable. And I would not want to be paying to put one right. I was offered (privately) a beautiful Boss single trigger with issues (double discharge). I declined and the owner had it put right before he sold it. I think I remember it cost him about £7k.

Fairly obviously, I do not take my H&H rough shooting! Also, it is not just quality workmanship/nice to own. The superb balance/handling, trigger pulls and self opening action make best quality guns a revelation to use.

I shot 32gm in my O/U this morning, and killed everything I raised my gun at including a lovely big hare. Tail up and full of confidence I switched to my SxS this afternoon with light cartridges and very small shot. I shot terribly, but was happy nonetheless as it is a beautiful gun. Madness I know but I was happy. 

5 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Well I take mine for anything I don’t know about the reliability of the old single trigger systems but as it’s new I’m sure there’s not going to be a problem and if there is the warranty should sort that 😊

I have not heard of any issues with more modern single trigger systems. No idea what is different.