Apologies I need a rant

hodge911

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈 . Why the flip do people hang up when they ring you and you answer ............. chuffin 6x today 07705104443 has rang house phone and line goes dead after 5-6 seconds ... if they think I'm going to ring them back & get stung with a huge cost they can politely do 1

. If it was my mobile they rang I could block it .

Hi hodge, 

you could quite possibly find it’s number testing, these people get given a huge list of numbers which they then ring and mark it as viable or non viable. The lists of viable numbers are then sold to marketing companies etc which then result in the famous “we’ve been told you where involved in an accident” type of calls. It’s a right royal pain in the posterior but quite common, especially with mobile numbers. 

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

I have had BT call blocker for several years and never had a problem since installing it. Mobile is another matter. Simple rule if I don’t recognise the number I don’t answer. If it matters they will leave a message.

Oh I answer and put them on speaker so we can all offer some input!

I unplugged the house phone several years ago and binned it.

It's never bothered me since.

Everything comes and goes via my mobile. If I get a nuisance call I just ask "can you hold a  minute please" I then put the phone on one side and carry on doing whatever, my record so far is 9 minutes before they got fed up and hung up. Funnily enough they never ring back.

Most commonly these dropped inbound calls are because the calling number is using a dialler.

It is an automated bit of software that calls numbers and then uses voice recognition to decide what to do next.  If it thinks it’s an answerphone that has picked up then it will disconnect, if there is no speech at all in the first few seconds it will hang up, only when it think it’s a viable call it will then connect an agent at the remote end.

If there is no agent available at the remote end it also disconnects.

So very likely after you have said hello it then tries to connect the remote agent to talk to you, but fails so disconnects.

For regulated businesses there are rules around the use of diallers, but as we know most inbound spammy calls are from overseas and so no rules apply, or at least no consequence of breaking the rules.

I disconnected the landline to stop the incessant lack of answer calls.

We hardly ever used the landline anyway and would ditch the number and line altogether if it weren't for the broadband fibre. When a decent and reliable alternative comes along we'll be dumping BT full stop.