Awful day at work

The Mighty Prawn

So today I've had to drop the bomb on 130 freelancers that we are suspending production this friday and depending on their contract they have either 1 or 2 weeks pay in lieu of notice. These are many of my friends I have worked with for over a decade, people with families, people with mortgages.

I hope this passes quickly and we can get back to it as soon as possible

My other half has just had her job offer pulled, she was due to start Monday! She was made redundant from her last job in December. Our savings are nearly depleted we will have to rely on my wage. Horrible times.   

22 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

So today I've had to drop the bomb on 130 freelancers that we are suspending production this friday and depending on their contract they have either 1 or 2 weeks pay in lieu of notice. These are many of my friends I have worked with for over a decade, people with families, people with mortgages.

I hope this passes quickly and we can get back to it as soon as possible

I don't envy you at all, our office at work have locked the doors to minimise contact,  we're still working on the shop floor but its probably only a matter of time, IR35 was the big issue for those of us contracting now it's how long will they keep letting us work?

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I don't envy you at all, our office at work have locked the doors to minimise contact,  we're still working on the shop floor but its probably only a matter of time, IR35 was the big issue for those of us contracting now it's how long will they keep letting us work?

I’ve got some good news for you then, as of last might the ir35 changes have been delayed until next year.

https://www.cityam.com/ir35-reforms-to-be-delayed-for-a-year-due-to-coronavirus/

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Snap......

Going on a bit of gardening leave in the short term- god knows what in the long term ?

We have been told it’s business as usual and nothing will have to change unless all this carries on for more than 12 months. We will see if that’s true.

I am reluctantly sharpening the knife, it is horrible to see so many years work building a great team crumble. We have been so close to fat contracts so many times, literally had one due to start this week that would have seen us through. Lots of clients have not paid and are overdue. The salaries are due the end of the month and we have already depleted our reserves. I am against borrowing as it is not purely a cash flow issue if work is cancelled. 

Hopefully the staff will all understand and agree to go on unpaid leave. If not we will have to make redundancies. I am gutted. Either option is no good for anyone. We all have mortgages, none of us will fare well. 

IMO the economic fallout of this will be far greater than the medical impact. I genuinely fear that there will be very few jobs remaining at the end of this and we are in for a long global depression. It will make the Great Depression of the 20’s seem like a tea party.  And I am normally positive. 

Neutral on BREXIT and do not want to bring it into the discussion. My sector has been on hold or slow down pretty much until January but that was known and manageable. We weathered the storm and in 2020 saw the green shoots, but now it’s been wiped out before we got going. Coronavirus hasn’t even really started yet and I can’t believe the impact it is having. None of the options look good.