Gun purchase Lockdown

flyeruk

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is your work really essential? 

You talk about not spreading fear, but then your going to ignore government advice and carry on going to work? 

My work is essential to me, because if I don’t work I don’t get paid, and I still have bills to pay. 
My customers are happy for me to be there, so unless that changes, or the government decide to pay me to stay home, then I’ll be going to work. 

Edited by Scully

1 minute ago, Scully said:

My work is essential to me, because if I don’t work I don’t get paid, and I still have bills to pay. 
My customers are happy for me to be there, so unless that changes, or the government decide to pay me to stay home, then I’ll be going to work. 

I hope they sort out some security for you soon mate 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’ve heard all manner of ‘from the horses mouth’ qualified statements over the last few weeks. I’ll believe it if and when it happens. 
Meanwhile I’ll be going to work; loads of other self employed tradesmen are still working around here. 
My advice to the OP would be to get the seller to ‘sell’ the gun to a RFD for storage until all this is over. 

A friend of mine in his early 50s and an ex career soldier has had a letter saying he is regarded as still on the reserve list and would he please fill out the following questionnaire. He would be delighted to go if it means getting paid but he would be worried about his wife who has a few health problems.   

48 minutes ago, Scully said:

What makes you so special that you can ignore the order to stay at home. The order that is designed to try and minimise this and potentially save lives.

There are a lot of self employed folk who put others before themselves and stay in, even though it might cause temporary financial hardship. 

I'm sure your customers won't be happy if you spread this virus and it means they or a loved one dies after infection.

I'm in the emergency services and see how bad this is and how catastrophic it will be, especially if folk are not willing to help and do their bit.

20 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

A friend of mine in his early 50s and an ex career soldier has had a letter saying he is regarded as still on the reserve list and would he please fill out the following questionnaire. He would be delighted to go if it means getting paid but he would be worried about his wife who has a few health problems.   

I would think he had a standard letter that is sent out when you reach a certain age just to update their records, lots get them.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is your work really essential? 

You talk about not spreading fear, but then your going to ignore government advice and carry on going to work? 

They have published a list of who are consider key workers, It’s NHS Staff, those maintaining supply chains, carers and social care staff and those maintaining the essential fabric of the country. 

You are looking at out of date information.

People who cannot work from home and are not specifically in a business that the Government have shut are still to go to work.

The essential bit was intentionally vague to fool people into thinking they said to stay off work.

Non-essential - can you afford not to go into work, if so don't.

43 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

What makes you so special that you can ignore the order to stay at home. The order that is designed to try and minimise this and potentially save lives.

There are a lot of self employed folk who put others before themselves and stay in, even though it might cause temporary financial hardship. 

I'm sure your customers won't be happy if you spread this virus and it means they or a loved one dies after infection.

I'm in the emergency services and see how bad this is and how catastrophic it will be, especially if folk are not willing to help and do their bit.

See above 

Edited by Newbie to this

The trouble with all of this is the language

"Where ever possible you should try to..." is being interpreted as "its still possible not to if you don't want to"

"You should" is being interpreted as "if you want to but its optional"

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Its not a case of thinking I’m special, I have bills to pay. Why do the govt think others are so special that they will receive 80% of their pay for staying at home, yet I don’t?
If the government want me to stay at home then they’ll have to pay me, like they’re paying others. It’s that simple. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Its not a case of thinking I’m special, I have bills to pay. Why do the govt think others are so special that they will receive 80% of their pay for staying at home, yet I don’t?
If the government want me to stay at home then they’ll have to pay me, like they’re paying others. It’s that simple. 

^^^ This 💯%

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

To be fair, I think the government is looking at ways to support the self employed. Hopefully everyone will get the support they need soon as. 

1 hour ago, stuartyboy said:

To be fair, I think the government is looking at ways to support the self employed. Hopefully everyone will get the support they need soon as. 

The Government can't afford to support anyone!

We are already bankrupt and this crisis will have it spiral completely out of control.

Edited by Newbie to this

23 minutes ago, The Heron said:

Some of the self employed might have to dip into the cash from cash in hand jobs and please don't tell me it doesn't happen. 

Of course it happens, but the self employed don't have a monopoly on fraud or deceit. It's not like everyone but the self employed are honest is it? How much 'cash' do you think the self employed have tucked away under their beds? 

I claim for everything I am entitled to ( and it's quite a lot )  but I'm not self employed so I can scam the tax man ; believe me, I pay my way. If I had 'gaps' in my earnings but my accounts showed I was still spending as normal, my accountant would be all over me like a rash. 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, The Heron said:

Some of the self employed might have to dip into the cash from cash in hand jobs and please don't tell me it doesn't happen. 

Self employed doesn’t mean casual. As a partner in an LLP I too am self employed, so get zero. Wife is part time, just returning from maternity leave. My employees are much richer than I am and will be better supported!