Why ?

spurs 14

Before I say this I’m not getting into the should I shouldn’t I - they can’t tell me what to do ! So please don’t even go there 

on Facebook today someone has posted a pic of their days shooting , corvids , today ,,,,,,,,,,so not only have they decided not to adhere to the lockdown but openly boast about it on a media site , what I’m getting at is this really the face of shooting we need to show ? 

If you have to go out why publicise it ! Don’t give the antis any more ammo please ! Just seems to me there are some very ? Let’s be kind and just call them thoughtless ! 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I agree there is plenty i could say on this topic . -- but im not .

I couldn’t agree more , more or less said same thing as I put on here on Facebook and you should have seen the slating I got from one or two ! 

1 minute ago, scarecrow243 said:

if it done as pest control ie job then that is ok

I agree and also if a farmer is having his lambs attacked then yes something needs doing straight away , but what I’m saying is just go ahead and do it , don’t boast about it and post pictures , people look at shooting in general and before you know joe publics pointing a finger at us for not doing all we can in this crisis 

36 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

agree and also if a farmer is having his lambs attacked then yes something needs doing straight away , but what I’m saying is just go ahead and do it , don’t boast about it and post pictures , people look at shooting in general and before you know joe publics pointing a finger at us for not doing all we can in this crisis 

That's spot on, everywhere you look there are people saying they are self isolating in the woods, getting their exercise shooting, should still be able to pest control, there might be a need in some cases but keep bleeding quiet about it. 

someone in Durham and north Yorkshire have lost their SGC. reason for revocation apparently is inability or unwilling to follow government guidelines and lack of good judgement.

not very popular i bet with shooters but i support that 100%.

so basically lads and lasses unless you wana risk your hobby, possibly you livelihood or even possibly your life........its very very simple. give it a miss for a few  weeks yeah?.  we give everything else an off season and we can handle that for months. 

use the time to clean your gear, repaint your decoys, plan the next shoot and lets get through it all safe. quickest way to get back to normal 

Just seen a post on Facebook that Avon police were handing out leaflets at a popular spot for dog walking to people as they got out of their cars , trying to explain that they can walk the dog but they weren’t meant to drive them somewhere to do it , another unnecessary journey ! I’m guessing if that doesn’t get through then the fines will start ! 

The problem is that this is going to go on for months not weeks. And you know that Wild Justice will then be saying “ah the farmers have survived without pigeons being shot” and before you know it the general licences are revoked. The actions we have been forced into taking because of this virus are going to have an impact on all walks of life and shooting will be impacted. 

And I really doubt licences have been revoked. Just social media rumour. 

4 minutes ago, AVB said:

The problem is that this is going to go on for months not weeks. And you know that Wild Justice will then be saying “ah the farmers have survived without pigeons being shot” and before you know it the general licences are revoked. The actions we have been forced into taking because of this virus are going to have an impact on all walks of life and shooting will be impacted. 

What if loads of farmers are saying how much damage has been done because their free pest control wasn't available? 

13 minutes ago, AVB said:

wouldn’t be at all surprised to see us in the same gl mess because of this farce same people shouting don’t go out will be the same ones crying how did that happen AGAIN! 

33 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

someone in Durham and north Yorkshire have lost their SGC. reason for revocation apparently is inability or unwilling to follow government guidelines and lack of good judgement.

so basically lads and lasses unless you wana risk your hobby, possibly you livelihood or even possibly your life........its very very simple. give it a miss for a few  weeks yeah?.  we give everything else an off season and we can handle that for months. 

use the time to clean your gear, repaint your decoys, plan the next shoot and lets get through it all safe. quickest way to get back to normal 

100%     I have seen three instances today of people who ought to know better going against the law. 

The farmer at the end of my lane was sowing yesterday and I caught up with him  today whilst walking the dog. He asked me to keep the pigeons off over the next few days. You bet I said “oh I can’t because the police will come and take away my licence”. Of course I didn’t. Tomorrow I will walk 300m and park myself in the corner of the field. If any of the three police officers that Essex police continually moan about only having to fight crime come along then I’ll deal with it. 

I wont be posting the pigeons I have shot on Facebook either. It would be too embarrassing as I don’t hit that many! 

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

The farmer at the end of my lane was sowing yesterday and I caught up with him  today whilst walking the dog. He asked me to keep the pigeons off over the next few days. You bet I said “oh I can’t because the police will come and take away my licence”. Of course I didn’t. Tomorrow I will walk 300m and park myself in the corner of the field. If any of the three police officers that Essex police continually moan about only having to fight crime come along then I’ll deal with it. 

I wont be posting the pigeons I have shot on Facebook either. It would be too embarrassing as I don’t hit that many! 

your a braver man than me  then that's all I can say, hope you have a good day 

3 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

your a braver man than me  then that's all I can say, hope you have a good day 

Why am I brave going out to do some unpaid work that I can’t do from home? I won’t be congregating either so no risk of virus transmission. 

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

Why am I brave going out to do some unpaid work that I can’t do from home? I won’t be congregating either so no risk of virus transmission. 

im with you trust me  i'm itching to get out the drillings are going in around here just now and I haven't shot a pigeon all year up to now 

1 hour ago, Sweet11-87 said:

Have you got a link?

48 minutes ago, clangerman said:

of coarse you COULD be assisting a frail person by getting them a few pigeons to eat 

Don't want to spoil the party or teach anyone to suck eggs but,,,,

That isn't in guidance with the GL's 👍

Nice idea though 😉

I have numerous shooting opportunities, I have flip top feeders set up in half a dozen places with hides in remote spots and I filled them all with feed last week. I have at oleast one farmer about to drill and know the fields will be hit with pigeons and crows BUT I am sticking very tightly to the rules and staying home and have no intention of flounting them just for my own pleasure.