Invasive bambo triffid nightmare

7daysinaweek

Invasive bamboo triffid nightmare -THE SEQUEL!!!!!

Like the eagerly awaited new bond film I have had to put the release back longer than I had wished for. 

Well chaps today has been a long time coming, the triffid has continued to mock me for months and now having some time on my hands and catching up on a long list of jobs. I decided this morning that come hell or high water it was coming out once and for all. 

The sheer barrage that has been cast at this booger has not ceased to astound me. So far I had attacked it with shears which just bounced off it when I got down to the thicker stuff. The chainsaw just swept it sideways and clogged up the bar and chain so that was eventually abandoned, spade sent enormous electic shocks through my hands and made my teeth chatter which I have had plenty of getting out the previous growth. I resorted to soaking the "beast" with water and left for a good few hours and thought that surely would soften it up a bit, taking a mighty swing with the sledge-hammer which I would think would be akin to hitting an anvil with a sledge-hammer. I thought no more of that! It had been doused with rosate 36 chemical killer several times which it appeared to like and seemed to make it grow more after an initial mild browning of the leaves. I resorted to ordering a 10 kg sack of salt which I covered it in and left for months, it has continued to sprout and grow. It has also had a liberal dousing of other chemicals which would flatten an elephant but no. this thing refused to die.

So this morning I amassed my weapons and decided that I would go with the multi prong attack. I sharpened the spade on the grinder, my sharpening skills are not up to Ditchmans skills and the edge looked like one of those fancy wavy blades, he, ho. Elf and safety first,  I donned my facemask as the last time I tried attacking it with the spade it ejected a great many micro splinters so safety goggles on also. Even though my crocs may seem fetching I did change into my boots as did not want to lose any toes.

Taking the crowbar and banging it in with the sledge-hammer along many points and hitting the crowbar with the sledge it loosened it little by little which eventually allowed me to chop through with the sharpened spade, tough going all the way. The depth that it had grown down to at the deepest point was about 20 inches and the clumps are literally solid compressed bamboo wood. I eventually got it out after a few hours.

As JDog had said in the beginning it would be the case of eating "3 weetabix" and chopping it out.

Never again.

atb 

7diaw

PS for some reason has uploaded skew-wiff

20210524_140546_opt.jpg

20210524_140928_opt.jpg

20210524_143500_opt.jpg

20210524_145139_opt.jpg

20210524_152741_opt.jpg

20210524_152701_opt.jpg

20210524_141324_opt.jpg

Edited by 7daysinaweek

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Scully said:

Smart crocs. Obviously a man of impeccable taste.....much like myself. 👍

👍 I could see myself putting a garden fork through the holes so I avoid all but the simplest of jobs in them. 

21 minutes ago, saddler said:

One thought that bamboo was of the GRASS family??
Got a longbow that is part bamboo, and very nice it is too...!

THE GRASS THAT NEVER DIES!

I feel your pain!  When I moved to my current house I had to deal with a similar nightmare.  The bamboo was isolated in a raised bed made from sleepers, which was both a blessing and a curse: thankfully it couldn't spread where it pleased, but I think the confined space made its root clump so compressed it was an utter joke.

Like you, I tried all sorts which it simply repelled like swatting away a fly.  Attempting to split up the roots was just like trying to attack granite and I got nowhere despite spades, forks, pick axe, iron bar, you name it..... 

In the end I removed it by dismantling the raised bed, splitting off manageable sized bits of root clump with iron bars & lump hammer and taking them to the tip!

You've done well!  You no doubt have a massive sense of satisfaction from that, good riddance to the bloody stuff!!

Its not over yet, it will be back. 

Give it 12 months you'll be on here again, if you have ever seen the film Gremlins thats what its like, no way would i be chopping away at the roots every inch will now be waiting for you to cover it up, and it will be there waiting to come back up when you least expect it. 😃

Ya doomed boyo !!!

1 hour ago, Jim Neal said:

I feel your pain!  When I moved to my current house I had to deal with a similar nightmare.  The bamboo was isolated in a raised bed made from sleepers, which was both a blessing and a curse: thankfully it couldn't spread where it pleased, but I think the confined space made its root clump so compressed it was an utter joke.

Like you, I tried all sorts which it simply repelled like swatting away a fly.  Attempting to split up the roots was just like trying to attack granite and I got nowhere despite spades, forks, pick axe, iron bar, you name it..... 

In the end I removed it by dismantling the raised bed, splitting off manageable sized bits of root clump with iron bars & lump hammer and taking them to the tip!

You've done well!  You no doubt have a massive sense of satisfaction from that, good riddance to the bloody stuff!!

Bloody right Jim, if I ever see bamboo again it may send me to my grave. Your situation sounded as grave as mine and I am bloomin well aching today.

53 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Its not over yet, it will be back. 

Give it 12 months you'll be on here again, if you have ever seen the film Gremlins thats what its like, no way would i be chopping away at the roots every inch will now be waiting for you to cover it up, and it will be there waiting to come back up when you least expect it. 😃

Ya doomed boyo !!!

Unfortunately Dougy there was no other way about it.

Am I doomed as I did water it after midnight and feed it some crazy stuff :lol:

I think I put this previously - when we had one (which was a gift that my wife planted) it was a hell of a job to get it out. I traced as much offshoots that I could and removed them, then left the hole exposed and sprayed it with vinegar and water for a few weeks. Must be 5 or 6 years now and it hasn't returned. Can't remember what type of vinegar it was though!!

2 hours ago, discobob said:

I think I put this previously - when we had one (which was a gift that my wife planted) it was a hell of a job to get it out. I traced as much offshoots that I could and removed them, then left the hole exposed and sprayed it with vinegar and water for a few weeks. Must be 5 or 6 years now and it hasn't returned. Can't remember what type of vinegar it was though!!

Got to be Sarsons. 

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Lightweight 

nepalm is what he needs 😂😂

Oh I quite agree, just a bit of a pain to get NAPALM delivered accurately these days!

I used to have access to a wonderful delivery Team, but they were disbanded in 2010.

6 hours ago, discobob said:

I sprayed it with vinegar and water for a few weeks. Must be 5 or 6 years now and it hasn't returned.  

Can't remember what type of vinegar it was though!!

The type I wouldn't want to put on my chips!:w00t:

20 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Mini digger ---> Skip ---> Someone else's problem!

No access Jim so it was all graft.

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Petrol and a match!

That did pass my mind TT but I thought it best not go down that route, I can be a little careless where flammables are concerned. I am sure someone suggested getting 'Blaster Bates' in for a more professional job somewhere prior in the thread. Sounds like you would have given him a run for his money.

Never seem a napalm explosion, does it produce a terrific heat? 🧨

11 hours ago, discobob said:

That is it then Bob, if the blighter returns Sarsons it is!