Oh Dear (this time it's personal!!)

discobob

Well, it looks like I have shot myself in the foot during this period. After getting on top of jobs that haven't been gotten on top of for years my SWMBO has started dropping big hints about look how much you can get done when your not shooting all weekend!! Now to be fair, it is only every Saturday for a few hours (except for one registered a month) and 1 or 2 Sundays (maybe 2 or  3 on a 5 weekend month).

On the Sunday's my wife is usually working (not now though 😞 ), I see to the kids, who are quite dependent teenagers (read completely bone idle, and prep the dinner, do any shopping needed (usually means going to get what was forgotten by SWMBO on the Saturday). I do a 50-60 hour week plus on call all the time, however, it is now a 45 hour week as WFH so I get out at 4pm to do some more stuff.

The quandary is though, TBH, I am enjoying it and really getting into woodworking etc... Perhaps this time will bring some changes about certain priorities in life - who knows at the moment. That may change when I hear the bang, feel the recoil and hit a clay - or more than like miss it!!

Anybody else think that they will have some unexpected changes from all this??

Only things that's happened to me is 

1 I've had more private work

2 I've done loads of housework and all the ****ty jobs I've put off for years

3 saved like crazy for a mortgage, by reorganisation of my finances or by saving like mad. Also it's been a blessing the other half being off, were saving £700+ month on nursery fees. I'm still working 2 jobs in between but for the first time in decade I've had over a week off, which has been nice 😊

4 appreciate my family more on the days off I have 

5 but most importantly I'm going to prepare for the 2nd round of this when it happens, which means I'm going to let rip as soon as I get out 😅

Edited by strimmer_13

3 hours ago, discobob said:

Well, it looks like I have shot myself in the foot during this period. After getting on top of jobs that haven't been gotten on top of for years my SWMBO has started dropping big hints about look how much you can get done when your not shooting all weekend!! Now to be fair, it is only every Saturday for a few hours (except for one registered a month) and 1 or 2 Sundays (maybe 2 or  3 on a 5 weekend month).

On the Sunday's my wife is usually working (not now though 😞 ), I see to the kids, who are quite dependent teenagers (read completely bone-f-in-idle, and prep the dinner, do any shopping needed (usually means going to get what was forgotten by SWMBO on the Saturday). I do a 50-60 hour week plus on call all the time, however, it is now a 45 hour week as WFH so I get out at 4pm to do some more stuff.

The quandary is though, TBH, I am enjoying it and really getting into woodworking etc... Perhaps this time will bring some changes about certain priorities in life - who knows at the moment. That may change when I hear the bang, feel the recoil and hit a clay - or more than like miss it!!

Anybody else think that they will have some unexpected changes from all this??

Absolutely, its caused me to rethink my priorities... basically stop chasing the coin and do what I want to do.....while I can..😮

You’re all making me feel lazy. I’ve had the most peaceful few weeks reading, listening to music, watching songbirds in the garden with a few domestic chores on the side. It’s nice to have the excuse not to feel the need to run out doing things.

14 hours ago, figgy said:

Put your foot down and crack on doing what makes you happy.

If wife kids and things that need taken care of are, then who is she to say.

Trouble is as I said in my original post, doing this work is making me happy - I love challenges and problems - and the wife is letting me get on with them. I think that there is less distraction at this time. 

In my shooting I had a challenge to shoot 100 straight (skeet) which I done late on last year but that is also a social element of my life and is generally what my Saturday shooting is . My other challenge is to get into the mid/high eighties in Sporting which is what the Sunday shooting is. I don't personally travel far for shooting in part due to trying to minimize the impact that it has on family.

Jobs I have (want) to do are -

• Repaint all the woodwork on the house - it hasn't been done since we bought it new - 16 years ago (the neighbor done his two years ago now) although I am not going above first floor on ladders!!! Need to see if I can pick up some scaffolding and get the Nephew to help put it together as he has worked in that area before!!
  • Make a French Cleat storage system for the Garage, and build a workbench/workstation
  • Refurbish the Staircase
  • Replace the doors downstairs with Oak style doors.
  • Build a new shed - not large - just 7'x7' on an existing base

This is something that with my current shooting schedule pre-lockdown would be hard to even get started on. I am even considering selling on my previous gun to buy tools that I need/want!!!

So a (new) balance will need to be struck after all this (I am purposefully  avoiding using the C word) has calmed down

To Discobob's initial post:

1) I really miss the social interaction with the lads on Saturday mornings but strangely not the shooting so much - last time I pulled a trigger was Weds 4th March.

2) I've got on top of a bunch of DIY jobs including things that are so time consuming I'd probably have never started/occupy the work bench where I clean my guns.

3) The absence of access to raw materials for some DIY jobs has meant that I'm nearer to the end of the long list now.

4) Figuring that the lockdown has many more weeks to go I have bought an electric guitar and the gubbins to go with it with the idea of teaching myself to play from scratch.  It will take a long time and much focus - right now 3 or 4 days in it has a similar difficulty level to that of shooting Olympic Trap with one's eyes shut.

When all of this movement restriction is over will clay shooting still have the same obsessive attraction it has held for the past 12 years for me?  Truthfully - probably not.   Was having an idle surf of Guntrader last night - prices of guns are taking a pasting...   might have a couple of posh fence posts before long.😂

Edited by Cosmicblue

2 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

3) The absence of access to raw materials for some DIY jobs has meant that I'm nearer to the end of the long list now.

Although B&Q is now open to get access to stuff (if you mind queuing) their sawing service isn't and I can't fit 8x4 ply into the car, and don't fancy driving 15 miles home with it strapped to the roof rack as the car will take off - and I am not paying their extortionate prices for the short sheets!!

7 minutes ago, discobob said:

Although B&Q is now open to get access to stuff (if you mind queuing) their sawing service isn't and I can't fit 8x4 ply into the car, and don't fancy driving 15 miles home with it strapped to the roof rack as the car will take off - and I am not paying their extortionate prices for the short sheets!!

hello, where abouts are you bob ?

6 minutes ago, discobob said:

Do you need the ply to be cut accurately with their saw, or just to get into your car to get home ? Could you not take a saw or cordless jigsaw [or similar] and workhorses, and cut it in the [out of the way corner of] the B&Q car park ?

1 minute ago, JKD said:

Do you need the ply to be cut accurately with their saw, or just to get into your car to get home ? Could you not take a saw or cordless jigsaw [or similar] and workhorses, and cut it in the [out of the way corner of] the B&Q car park ?

The only cordless tools I have are drill and drivers and I am not stitch cutting it 🤣

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, ah sorry yes i remember, it was just my local builders merchants are open and cut wood, anyway good luck

I am on edge for our local merchants to open - they are only supplying emergency cases that have an account

Haha 😁 it was just an idea 👍 I do it regularly, and seen many other builders etc do it,,,, very regularly. Maybe ask a nice friendly local builder [or van owner] to transport it for you ? Lots of nice people about in these difficult times. I'd offer if,,,, I was closer 😜

17 minutes ago, JKD said:

Haha 😁 it was just an idea 👍 I do it regularly, and seen many other builders etc do it,,,, very regularly. Maybe ask a nice friendly local builder [or van owner] to transport it for you ? Lots of nice people about in these difficult times. I'd offer if,,,, I was closer 😜

Cheers buddy!! might ask the guy round the corner - he is a builder