Cummings in the soup?

Retsdon

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, clangerman said:

i heard on the jv show there is a sister who could have picked the child up if that’s the case he had no excuse to go anywhere 

Its a bloody good job youre on hand to decide whats best for other peoples children isnt it 😄

Just now, clangerman said:

oh the sister must be true then lol 

The sister lives near parents in Durham and stayed at distance leaving supplies on the doorstep .......... according to press reports.  No doubt if Cummings and his wife had been unable to have cared for their child, she was ready ion hand to step in - but that would have meant her having to self isolate for 14 days.  To expect a sister from Durham to drive to London, collect a 4 years old - and then drive straight back to Durham with the child is not sensible - a 500 mile drive - half with a (probably stressed) 4 year old in the car?

I think even if legal, the whole thing was a bad plan .............. but the press etc. are making a mountain out of a mole hill simply because it is Cummings - and shame on them for doing that.

Whether the second visit and walk outings are true or not - no one seems to know.

I’m not really bothered what he did to be honest, like I said elsewhere I’d have probably done the same. I’d be sorry to see him go because he scares those opposed to Brexit; he is a formidable opponent and his enemies fear him. 
I believe those who want him out want him out because he is the architect of Brexit, and they believe with him gone it will make it more difficult for Boris’ and weaken his resolve or capability to get Brexit done.
He is the Tories Mandelson, and while I believe he’ll unfortunately go, he’ll be back at some point. 
Edited to add....Barnie is a nice town, there used to be a good gun shop there. 🙂

Edited by Scully

47 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Where did I say he didn't break the rules? Or that he did? 

I don't know, l never looked. I was quoting Gordon who was citing yourself as posting that according to the published rules Cummings did nothing wrong. If Gordon has misunderstood what you said, that's between you two. 

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m not really bothered what he did to be honest, like I said elsewhere I’d have probably done the same. I’d be sorry to see him go because he scares those opposed to Brexit; he is a formidable opponent and his enemies fear him. 
I believe those who want him out want him out because he is the architect of Brexit, and they believe with him gone it will make it more difficult for Boris’ and weaken his resolve or capability to get Brexit done.
He is the Tories Mandelson, and while I believe he’ll unfortunately go, he’ll be back at some point. 
Edited to add....Barnie is a nice town, there used to be a good gun shop there. 🙂

the deed is irrelevant you can lie to the public and get away with it but when the lie is so blatant you have insulted them that they WONT stand for mans a idiot if he didn’t know that 

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I don't know, l never looked. I was quoting Gordon who was citing yourself as posting that according to the published rules Cummings did nothing wrong. If Gordon has misunderstood what you said, that's between you two. 

Well careful what you quote . Before you know it you'll be like the left wing media quote dribble and demanding resignations.

Just now, Retsdon said:

So Gordon was wrong then? Great! Happy that you're not defending Cummings actions.

To be quite honest I totally indifferent to it. If he and his wife were Ill and had a chance to get their son cared for by family, especially considering his autism and how he may react to others, then I'd probably do the same. Child care is an exemption in the rules. That it was a foolish thing to do given the media attention on him is a given. 

The hypocrisy of the paperazzi pressed together outside his house is staggering. 

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

the deed is irrelevant you can lie to the public and get away with it but when the lie is so blatant you have insulted them that they WONT stand for mans a idiot if he didn’t know that 

If that were remotely factual, there wouldn't be a single politician in exsistance. 

3 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

If he and his wife were Ill and had a chance to get their son cared for by family, especially considering his autism and how he may react to others, then I'd probably do the same.

Many of us would. But it's not really the issue.

To illustrate, I remember, quite a few years ago now,  there was a bloke who lived in the village I grew up in in Wales. His house was about 4 or 5 doors down from the pub, and outside the pub, between it and his house, they'd put in a traffic-calming hump like an anti-tank berm. One Friday, Clive was coming home from work and saw a mate's car in the pub car park and stopped in to say hello. One thing led to another and he didn't go home until closing time. Of course, normally he'd have walked home and left the car but over the previous few weeks a number of cars that had been left outside either that pub or the one across the village had been broken into, and I think two had actually been stolen. So Clive, foolishly, decided to take his car out of the car park, drive it over the traffic hump, and then 15 yards down the road and into his driveway. He hadn't seen the police car.

The upshot was that he lost his license for 18 months, and consequently his job. Morally, in my view, he did nothing wrong. He probably never got out of second gear and was never ever a danger to anyone.  And he only did it to protect his property. But the law was the law and that was the end of it.

Cummings situation is not dissimilar. Would most of us have driven to Durham in contravention of the lockdown rules in his circumstances? Very probably. It's not relevant though.

9 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

To illustrate, I remember, quite a few years ago now,  there was a bloke who lived in the village I grew up in in Wales. His house was about 4 or 5 doors down from the pub, and outside the pub, between it and his house, they'd put in a traffic-calming hump like an anti-tank berm. One Friday, Clive was coming home from work and saw a mate's car in the pub car park and stopped in to say hello. One thing led to another and he didn't go home until closing time. Of course, normally he'd have walked home and left the car but over the previous few weeks a number of cars that had been left outside either that pub or the one across the village had been broken into, and I think two had actually been stolen. So Clive, foolishly, decided to take his car out of the car park, drive it over the traffic hump, and then 15 yards down the road and into his driveway. He hadn't seen the police car.

The upshot was that he lost his license for 18 months, and consequently his job. Morally, in my view, he did nothing wrong. He probably never got out of second gear and was never ever a danger to anyone.  And he only did it to protect his property. But the law was the law and that was the end of it.

Cummings situation is not dissimilar. Would most of us have driven to Durham in contravention of the lockdown rules in his circumstances? Very probably. It's not relevant though.

Cummings didn't drink drive. He drove his child to a grandparents house whilst he was sick. 

I drive 88.6 miles a day to and from work. I dont encounter anyone else in my car on the way. 

12 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Yes it is , he is doing what he thought best, within the guidelines.

14 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Cummings situation is not dissimilar.

Yes it is , its completely different, the man in the pub car park broke the law.
Ask car park man, if he could turn the clock back, would he do it differently.
Then ask Cummings if he would do it differently.

You would get a yes and a no.

16 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Would most of us have driven to Durham in contravention of the lockdown rules in his circumstances? Very probably.

And there you go.

16 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

It's not relevant though.

Why ?
Because hes in the public eye?
Hated by certain factions ?
Now were getting somewhere...

I have no idea what went on with that post above! Anyhow, what I was trying to ask is: has it been established that he broke the law? And if so which one? I thought it was just guidance? Did the police charge him or fine him?
And has it been established that he lied, and if so about what? I haven’t seen the news for some time now and I don’t open links which require cookie assent. 

52 minutes ago, clangerman said:

As a general rule, If you’re expecting honesty from civil servants or politicians you’re going to be disappointed, no matter who they are nor from which faction.