Government 'Eat Out' scheme

steve_b_wales

I seriously doubt major industry is being forfeited for the sake of restaurants and pubs.
The point is that everyone has bills to pay, and those who can’t work to pay them will have no choice but to resort to state dependence. 
It’s not a matter of choosing one over another, it ALL matters.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, oowee said:

They are also easily replaced

that is a callous and uncaring statement - the original folk who lost their jobs might not be lucky enough to get one once the recession bites harder - if we stop caring for those that fight hard to keep a job and devalue their worth to the community rather than the lazy *^*&^*^* that just want a handout we should hang our heads in shame

The pubs are full Monday Tuesday and Wednesday,  which means some people are out spending money which has to be a good thing, it's not drunken stumbling around just people eating out at 50% off for food and soft drinks.

My misses went to morrisons for tea after swimming lessons,  her and the two kids had tea for less than £3, were not talking high quality restaurant food but its probably better than some get if we're to believe everything that the media tell us, certainly something that should be taken advantage of during the summer holidays if feeding the kids is an issue. 

20 minutes ago, 243deer said:

that is a callous and uncaring statement - the original folk who lost their jobs might not be lucky enough to get one once the recession bites harder - if we stop caring for those that fight hard to keep a job and devalue their worth to the community rather than the lazy *^*&^*^* that just want a handout we should hang our heads in shame

They are low skilled jobs that are often filled by students, foreign migrants and casual workers. 

They have a high staff turnover usually and the businesses come and go over relatively short periods. 

You can be as caring as you like, Oowee did nothing but state a fact. 

Those jobs are easily replaced when compared to other jobs and sectors where people are also being laid off. 

It’s obviously awful for those people involved, no one has said that it isn’t. But don’t get hysterical. 

When your responsible for making massive decisions you can only work on cold hard facts. 

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

They are low skilled jobs that are often filled by students, foreign migrants and casual workers. 

They have a high staff turnover usually and the businesses come and go over relatively short periods. 

You can be as caring as you like, Oowee did nothing but state a fact. 

Those jobs are easily replaced when compared to other jobs and sectors where people are also being laid off. 

It’s obviously awful for those people involved, no one has said that it isn’t. But don’t get hysterical. 

When your responsible for making massive decisions you can only work on cold hard facts. 

I am not getting hysterical at all - but I am talking from personal experience having worked in a restaurant both in the kitchen and front of house. My experience was that the folk were not transient at all, in fact entirely the opposite. The business I worked in was there for several decades, in true Italian family style everyone was valued and supported. The pot washer was a man with a wife and 3 kids - yes he could have been easily replaced with someone cheaper but fortunately there are some folk in the world that do not mind £20 a week less in their pockets in order that another family does not end up on benefits. Good staff that are skilled in what they do and are reliable are hard to find and cannot be easily replaced despite your disparaging and demeaning comments. I presume that if I stick you in front of a customer with a £50 dover sole cooked on the bone you will be able to faultlessly fillet it without breaking the fillets and present it to the customer - using just a spoon and fork - as this is clearly a 'low skilled job'.

2 hours ago, 243deer said:

It is very rare to see such a callous and uncaring orwellian attitude in a post on PW. I am disappointed in you oowee I thought you were better than throwing folk under a bus. Clearly you do not work in the restaurant trade which provides work for many folk often at the lowest rates of pay working unsocial hours but at least their job will still allow them to live with some modicum of pride and self-respect. Not to mention all the related trades and suppliers and the folk that work for them.

We voted for a leaner more competetive price based economy and we can't unfortunately have it both ways. Sad as it undoubtedly is these sorts of economic interventions are reminiscent of King Canute.

10 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I am not getting hysterical at all - but I am talking from personal experience having worked in a restaurant both in the kitchen and front of house. My experience was that the folk were not transient at all, in fact entirely the opposite. The business I worked in was there for several decades, in true Italian family style everyone was valued and supported. The pot washer was a man with a wife and 3 kids - yes he could have been easily replaced with someone cheaper but fortunately there are some folk in the world that do not mind £20 a week less in their pockets in order that another family does not end up on benefits. Good staff that are skilled in what they do and are reliable are hard to find and cannot be easily replaced despite your disparaging and demeaning comments. I presume that if I stick you in front of a customer with a £50 dover sole cooked on the bone you will be able to faultlessly fillet it without breaking the fillets and present it to the customer - using just a spoon and fork - as this is clearly a 'low skilled job'.

Yes I imagine everyone eating out on the £10 off scheme is out eating at top of the range 5 star restaurants where every member of the party is having a £50 fish course for their dinner 🙄

Bit of a silly examples to boost your argument.  

The vast majority of people are eating out at places like Nandos and Franky and Benny’s. 

I truly wish that the UK dining culture was made of of a massive number rod family run restaurants that served decent home made and cooked food. 

Sadly it’s majority chain restaurants that serve junk and a lot of those kitchen staff do little more than microwave a ready meal. 

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

We voted for a leaner more competetive price based economy and we can't unfortunately have it both ways. Sad as it undoubtedly is these sorts of economic interventions are reminiscent of King Canute.

This. +1.

And regardless of if it is The Ivy or Frankie and Bennie's the fact remains that people that can't even afford to eat at home without resorting to food banks are subisidising these meals. And Nando's isn't cheap last time I ate there. As Jim Hacker said its the rest of the country subisidising the pleasures of the middle class.

What next? Taxpayers' money to subisidise seats at the opera?

Edited by enfieldspares

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

This. +1.

And regardless of if it is The Ivy or Frankie and Bennie's the fact remains that people that can't even afford to eat at home without resorting to food banks are subisidising these meals. And Nando's isn't cheap last time I ate there. As Jim Hacker said its the rest of the country subisidising the pleasures of the middle class.

https://youtu.be/zvNw0P5ZMbA

So only the ‘middle class’ eat out nowadays! How ridiculous. 

Yeah right.

Because at local food banks throughout the UK the talk is of little else other than "Where are you and the family going to be eating out tonight on Mr Sunak's scheme?"

And are these people that work there not on the furlough scheme? Or are they not on SEISS?

The very last thing as a taxpayer I want my money being used for is to go into the pocket of the likes of the odious Tim Martin of Weatherspoons who in March told his suppliers they'd have to wait to get paid their invoices to him.

Edited by enfieldspares

I think the government has lost the plot, one day they encourage you to pig out 🐷 then next day they are throwing out £50 vouchers to get our pushbikes fixed as were all fat ######## 😂

I’ve  just had my bike fixed to cycle down to the chip shop 😂

Edited by blackbird

24 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yeah right.

Because at local food banks throughout the UK the talk is of little else other than "Where are you and the family going to be eating out tonight on Mr Sunak's scheme?"

And are these people that work there not on the furlough scheme? Or are they not on SEISS?

The very last thing as a taxpayer I want my money being used for is to go into the pocket of the likes of the odious Tim Martin of Weatherspoons who in March told his suppliers they'd have to wait to get paid their invoices to him.

You do realise that the vast majority of people in the U.K. don’t use a food bank. Last time I looked c.2 million people did. That might be 2 million too many but that means there are c.68 million who don’t. 

2 hours ago, 243deer said:

Trouble is we can't afford the lazy *^*&^*^* that have always been draining the system, when the ones coming along will need help they will be entitled to jack if they have any savings, property etc...

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

This. +1.

The working class are subsiding the middle class? 

43% of people in this country IN WORK, don’t pay any income tax. 

56% of people in work, pay 73% of the county’s income tax. 

The top 1% (about 100,000 people), pay the remaining 27% of income tax. These people are most likely paying corporate taxes etc etc as well on top of their own income tax. 

Im sure I read years ago that until you’re earning over something like £40,000 or even £50,000, you get more out of society with what taxes are spent on, such as free health care, roads, facilities, infrastructure etc, than you pay in tax by far. 

If you think someone working a minimum wage job that pays a few quid in tax is somehow paying for expensive meals for some middle class person on £50,000 a year wages your kidding yourself. 

If anything the person on £50,000 is mostly having a bit of the large amount they pay in tax back to them. 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The working class are subsiding the middle class? 

43% of people in this country IN WORK, don’t pay any income tax. 

56% of people in work, pay 73% of the county’s income tax. 

The top 1% (about 100,000 people), pay the remaining 27% of income tax. These people are most likely paying corporate taxes etc etc as well on top of their own income tax. 

Im sure I read years ago that until you’re earning over something like £40,000 or even £50,000, you get more out of society with what taxes are spent on, such as free health care, roads, facilities, infrastructure etc, than you pay in tax by far. 

If you think someone working a minimum wage job that pays a few quid in tax is somehow paying for expensive meals for some middle class person on £50,000 a year wages your kidding yourself. 

If anything the person on £50,000 is mostly having a bit of the large amount they pay in tax back to them. 

I know people that earn less than we do but seem to have a much better standard of life - I have ranted on it before on here but won't this time!

We are going out for a meal on Monday, it is my youngest's birthday and we either have a meal or a bbq with all the family round - this year we are doing a meal with the in-laws. This will be the first time that my family has benefited from all of these corvid benefits in any way shape or form

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Are you willing to post publicly how much you make each year? 

Because statements like this, where people protest about what “their taxes” are spent on are common place, yet I have my doubts that what you contribute in taxes even covers your expense. 

The vast majority of people pay in less than they benefit from the country. 

1 minute ago, discobob said:

I know people that earn less than we do but seem to have a much better standard of life - I have ranted on it before on here but won't this time!

We are going out for a meal on Monday, it is my youngest's birthday and we either have a meal or a bbq with all the family round - this year we are doing a meal with the in-laws. This will be the first time that my family has benefited from all of these corvid benefits in any way shape or form

“Seem to have” a better quality of life. 

What does that mean though? How can you measure it? and how do you know they earn less? 

If they have less money than you do, but a better quality of life, either they are spending their money very differently or something 🤷‍♂️
Genuinely interested to know mate. 

I hope your youngest has a lovely birthday and you all have a lovely family meal. 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What does that mean though? How can you measure it? and how do you know they earn less? 

OK then - worked the minimum for the past coming up for 18 years (16 or 18 hours) since she had a kid - dad not present and never contributed, has paid her mortgage off with a lump sum in the past year, holidays abroad 3 times a year abroad - over the time was able to invest in the Harlequin scam, and then received the money back with a load of interest (from government/ombudsman coffers without any question as to "how could you afford this while on benefits"). Bought a 1 year old Ka last year. Daughter swans about in the latest designer gear - continually gets a new phone every year (daughter) which she regularly breaks and needs replacing .

Admittedly before she had a kid she had savings - but somehow these disappeared before she was born

Meanwhile - my car is 7.5 years old, my wife's is 16 years old, we haven't had a holiday for the past 2 years, I work full time, my wife is holding down 2 jobs - one a PA via direct payment and the other is self employed cleaner (and she was entitled to nothing for these). Admittedly we do have a 5 bedroom house (and overpaying a little bit on the mortgage), 2 kids (shortly 15 and 17) (neither have the latest phone), my wife and I have iPhone 6s and live quite frugally considered

19 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I hope your youngest has a lovely birthday and you all have a lovely family meal. 👍🏻

Thank you :D

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Are you willing to post publicly how much you make each year? 

No. That's my business between me and HMRC and I won't even go into what Gordon Brown did to my pension plan back in 1997. And to me as he did to many others effectively stole my old age provision.

But what I will post is this that my late father paid, in the UK, during his lifetime 19s 6d in the £1 in tax as did many others. And then, forty plus years ago, at age twenty-one years old I then got hit with Capital Gains Tax, plus interest for fifteen years, from property I had inherited at age seven so I can assure you that my family have paid in far more, ever, in taxes than we will ever get out.

So yes what I do pay in tax I do not want going into the pockets of Weatherspoon's (whose suppliers remained long unpaid) subsidising meals for those who if they can afford them should pay for themselves the full bill and who, if they can't afford them should stay at home and support local shops, butchers, greengrocers, independent supermarkets (who collectively will employ more people) by cooking and eating meals prepared at home with those foodstuffs.

Edited by enfieldspares

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No. That's my business between me and HMRC but what I will post is this that my late father paid, in the UK, during his lifetime 19s 6d in the £1 in tax as did many others. And then, forty plus years ago, at age twenty-one years old I then got hit with Capital Gains Tax, plus interest for fifteen years, from property I had inherited at age seven so I can assure you that my family have paid in far more, ever, in taxes than we will ever get out.

So yes what I do pay in tax I do not want going into the pockets of Weatherspoon's (whose suppliers remained long unpaid) subsidising meals for those who if they can afford them should pay for themselves the full bill and who, if they can't afford them should stay at home and support local shops, butchers, greengrocers, independent supermarkets (who collectively will employ more people) by cooking and eating meals prepared at home.

So your father paid tax at 96% for all of his life!  Either he was a multi, multi millionaire (and even so I doubt he would have paid that rate of tax) or you are confused. 

Just now, enfieldspares said:

Learn to read and learn what words mean "during his lifetime" which is not the same as "throughout his lifetime" and if you don't believe that at one time there was a UK tax rate of not 96% but 97.5% and not on millionaires then learn your history. Still ignorance is bliss. So carry on.

I may be wrong but isn't that one of the first things that Maggie scrapped when she came to power?? he Super Tax it was if I remember right

1 hour ago, discobob said:

OK then - worked the minimum for the past coming up for 18 years (16 or 18 hours) since she had a kid - dad not present and never contributed, has paid her mortgage off with a lump sum in the past year, holidays abroad 3 times a year abroad - over the time was able to invest in the Harlequin scam, and then received the money back with a load of interest (from government/ombudsman coffers without any question as to "how could you afford this while on benefits"). Bought a 1 year old Ka last year. Daughter swans about in the latest designer gear - continually gets a new phone every year (daughter) which she regularly breaks and needs replacing .

Admittedly before she had a kid she had savings - but somehow these disappeared before she was born

Meanwhile - my car is 7.5 years old, my wife's is 16 years old, we haven't had a holiday for the past 2 years, I work full time, my wife is holding down 2 jobs - one a PA via direct payment and the other is self employed cleaner (and she was entitled to nothing for these). Admittedly we do have a 5 bedroom house (and overpaying a little bit on the mortgage), 2 kids (shortly 15 and 17) (neither have the latest phone), my wife and I have iPhone 6s and live quite frugally considered

What does she own? Also a 5 bed house? 

Or a pokey little council house? I doubt she could get a massive mortgage as a single parent on benefits ... I imagine most of the things she had are on credit. 

The (False) imagine of a good life ... 

Would you swap positions with her? I’d rather be in your shoes any day of the week. Nice 5 bed house, nice family. Bet your kids will see you go to work and get a decent work ethic etc. 

I envy you, not your neighbour.