An example of why COVID infections are on the rise.

Raja Clavata

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, clangerman said:

watching local news piece on the post office not one worker in the sorting office was wearing a mask no wonder it’s on the rise with clowns like the post office 

Don’t need to wear one in the workplace unless the public are present. Nothing to stop individual workers deciding to wear one though. 

6 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

You just isolate your mail for 72 hours when you get it 

Whist that is certainly a sound idea, I believe there is no 'known instance' of Covid being caught from contact with a delivered parcel, item of mail etc.  It is one of these 'theoretically possible' things, but apparently the chances of enough virus remaining on the surface for even a few hours is very low, and then it still has to get transferred via your hands to your mouth/nose/eyes.

Just now, Bigbob said:

Daughters mate runs all her letters threw her hair straighteners LOL   

You can run the iron over them as well, but as I say, very low chance.  More likely from plastic chilled food wrapping, and cool damp helps the virus last longer on surfaces.  Heat, dry and sunlight (UV) are all destructive to it.

I have never seen so many people walking about looking so pathetically miserable and scare witless, unable to even say good morning.  Get a life because it ain't a rehearsal.  By the way, I have been dodging all sorts of infections in the last 80 years and dodged a few close physical calls.  How many people died today through other causes than just old age ?

I know that it was reported this morning that the death rate for last week was on the national average for this time of year.

The fact that more people are being tested is of course putting up the infection rate and most of them will not even know they had it.

As far as stretching the NHS, then take a walk down the high street and check out the extremely fat wobblies walking around. They are the ones to put pressure on the NHS along with drug takers and smokers which cause far more deaths than covid.

3 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

I know every news  its COVID this COVID that But didnt the Flu epidemic kill loads more people

HEALTH Coronavirus Historic (PA graphic)

There have been two moderate pandemics in recent history: so-called ‘Asian flu’ and ‘Hong Kong flu’.

Asian flu began in southern China and spread around the world in 1957-58.

Up to four million deaths have been attributed to this outbreak, including around 33,000 in the UK.

The answer is YES to the Spanish flu in 1918/19 (but them medicine was MUCH more basic) and YES to the 1968/69 epidemic (though Covid is slowly catching up on that one)

and NO to the the other epidemics.

Another thing we have noticed is the school pick up, there are two very distinct groups, one group are always in a huddle, no distance at all having a laugh and a giggle. 

The other group are spread out waiting for the kids to come out.

Given that the kids are together all day it might make no difference,  but if people can't stand apart picking up children then I doubt they are social distancing at home, or the pub.

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Another thing we have noticed is the school pick up, there are two very distinct groups, one group are always in a huddle, no distance at all having a laugh and a giggle. 

Given that the kids are together all day it might make no difference,  but if people can't stand apart picking up children then I doubt they are social distancing at home, or the pub.

My fundamental belief in all of this is that people don't break one rule while adhering religiously to all the other rules. So yes, the signs are there

What is a problem is temperature monitors are being relied on as a test in places of work etc.

I and others I have spoken to did not have a temperature nor a cough.

Just a headache for a couple of hours and a couple of days feeling a bit off.

But for having a test I would not have put it down to the virus.

Many folk will be in circulation not knowing the they have it.

On 22/10/2020 at 18:47, Mice! said:

Another thing we have noticed is the school pick up, there are two very distinct groups, one group are always in a huddle, no distance at all having a laugh and a giggle

Normal people living their lives

On 22/10/2020 at 18:47, Mice! said:

Bedwetters who seems to enjoy living in fear and subjugation 

25 minutes ago, treetree said:

Normal people living their lives

Bedwetters who seems to enjoy living in fear and subjugation 

You really are full of it, I'm sure the normal people living their lives as you say are happy spreading the virus, otherwise how else is it spreading?

Keeping your distance and being sensible isn't really difficult,  hardly fear and subjugation.

If everyone stuck to the simple things we wouldn't have lockdowns throughout the Northwest. 

17 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You really are full of it, I'm sure the normal people living their lives as you say are happy spreading the virus, otherwise how else is it spreading?

Keeping your distance and being sensible isn't really difficult,  hardly fear and subjugation.

If everyone stuck to the simple things we wouldn't have lockdowns throughout the Northwest. 

Yes exactly

why do we look left and right when crossing the road?

because we are bedwetters apparantly

Whats the opposite of a bedwetter? oh yes I remember, its a Richard head  

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

If months and months of a national lockdown didn't work, what good are these do called 'simple things' going to do?

And we're not being asked to 'do simple things' we're being asked to just accept government reach into our lives like never befor seen, under no parliamentary scrutiny 

57 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

why do we look left and right when crossing the road?

Because if you are hit by are car travelling at 40mph, there is a 90 percent chance you will be killed. Even if you get Covid you are extremely unlikely to die from it.

13 minutes ago, treetree said:

If months and months of a national lockdown didn't work, what good are these do called 'simple things' going to do?

And we're not being asked to 'do simple things' we're being asked to just accept government reach into our lives like never befor seen, under no parliamentary scrutiny 

Because if you are hit by are car travelling at 40mph, there is a 90 percent chance you will be killed. Even if you get Covid you are extremely unlikely to die from it.

The lockdown was to lower the infection rates and take pressure off the hospitals no one said it would stop the virus, so it did work in what it was supposed to do.  Social distancing masks etc are common sense, would you get up close and personal with someone that had the flu. 

Edited by ordnance

54 minutes ago, treetree said:

The months of lockdown did work, they slowed the spread, it was obviously worse down South back in April,  now it's bad up North, I'd say we should have been locked down a month ago across the north, its certainly no fun being told to stay home but the alternative is far worse.

But the economy is in trouble,  we've got AB trying to  negotiating a deal while the hospitals fill up, government has tried keeping things open while slowing the spread, it hasn't worked.

The 2m rule should have been kept, this was only relaxed to open pubs, and possibly schools.

The rates across the Northwest are really high everywhere,  and you think we should ignore it and carry on like there is nothing going on?

If the simple things had been done we wouldn't be seeing the figures we have, pubs full, kids going to university and enjoying themselves, people basically carrying on as if nothing would happen. 

A doctor in Burnley was saying the virus is spreading through the terraced housing, it can only spread if people are going into each others homes.

I haven't been affected by this,  but I've taken precautions,  we haven't done the usual things we would, but we hardly feel the government has reached into our lives.

I'm thinking something has to be said about how the long dry summer UV light levels cleaned up our air for us much better than the now almost constant cloud and rain we've had of late.

But there's a tiny conspiracy bug under my bobble hat nagging on about someone somewhere deliberately spreading it across the globe to help thin out its overpopulation now we don't have world wars doing it, and at a similar financial cost. 

Edited by Dave-G

On 21/10/2020 at 20:42, JohnfromUK said:

Whist that is certainly a sound idea, I believe there is no 'known instance' of Covid being caught from contact with a delivered parcel, item of mail etc.  It is one of these 'theoretically possible' things, but apparently the chances of enough virus remaining on the surface for even a few hours is very low, and then it still has to get transferred via your hands to your mouth/nose/eyes.

How would there possibly be a ‘known instance’ of someone catching it from their post?

didnt they say it lives 72 hours or so on paper?

how many people wash their hand after reading their post? 

Who after getting covid would say, hmm, I think it was from that letter I opened the other day. Rather than, it just have been when I went shopping etc.

even if someone was sure it was from their post, and had their post tested, it could have died on the post after they caught it, or it could be said they put it into the post after they caught it elsewhere. It’s impossible to prove, but that does not mean by any stretch that no one has caught it from their post. Especially regarding what has been said above. In fact I’d wager that there has definitely been many cases passed on through mail.

1 hour ago, southeastpete said:

How would there possibly be a ‘known instance’ of someone catching it from their post?

Because a LOT of research worldwide has been done on spread mechanisms - and I don't believe a single case of transmission this way has ever been confirmed ....... whereas many many cases have identified and confirmed other transmission routes.

didnt they say it lives 72 hours or so on paper?

I think less likely on peper, but 72 hrs or longer on some (e.g. plastic, stainless steel) surfaces

how many people wash their hand after reading their post? 

I can't answer that, but some do, or quarantine post.

that does not mean by any stretch that no one has caught it from their post. Especially regarding what has been said above. In fact I’d wager that there has definitely been many cases passed on through mail.

That is not the general view of the scientists, WHO etc - who look at these things carefully when looking at risks, and conclude post is 'possible' but low risk.