Dangerous game calibres in the UK. Who's got one? Do you use it here?

njc110381

Evening chaps. I was just sat here cleaning a couple of my rifles and a thought crossed my mind. I wonder how many people actually have a big bore rifle here in the UK? And those who do, do they use them for deer or is it purely range gun unless used abroad? I know of a few folk here who use them for the odd deer stalk and I think that's generally down to what their forces will allow. Some are ok, some no so much.

As an example I believe there are three or four .416's in various forms in use for live quarry in Gloucestershire but no .458's or above. Other counties who knows? I'd love to hear what's out there and what they're being used for, what the carcass damage is like on deer etc. Contrary to popular belief I think these big rounds often penetrate an animal the size of a deer and exit leaving less damage than a faster medium bore would?

The best way to find out is to ask and there are a lot of shooters here on PW! I'd appreciate your comments.

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

8mm(320) is acceptable for Leicstershire but not 375..... .as if .055 inch is going to make much difference.

Exactly, I wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of a .22 never mind anything bigger so why they make that distinction between 8mm and 375 im not sure! You could argue the 22 is more dangerous because they're often the first choice for new shooters and they're shot a lot whereas a 375 at 4 quid a bang theyre not going to being shot willy nilly.

I have recently sold my .375 which I bought in 2008. Conditioned for deer and AOLQ by Derbyshire with no problems. My reason for acquiring was, ‘for use abroad, mostly Africa, and occasional use against larger deer species in U.K.’  I never did actually use it on any U.K. deer but I shot several smaller antelope with it in Africa with very light carcass damage, and lots of Impala which are basically Fallow sized. It did seem to make a mess of Baboons and Jackal.

edit: just seen Figgy’s post. I used mine for driven boar in Croatia and Turkey and shot Bushpig and a lot of Warthog with it in Africa over the years.

Edited by London Best

I have a 375JDJ  (444 Marlin necked down) and have shot everything from roe deer to a huge silver medal boar in Slovenia and some very big wild pigs in Texas and a coyote or two and it makes very little more damage than the 8x57 both using Barnes TTSX bullets.  I believe the decision was a bit like the 6 person rule, a figure just chosen from fresh air. 

I have a 357 H&H and a 416 Rigby double rifle both for deer and AOLQ. I had a heck of battle for the 375. Once that had been granted and I took out to Africa on a few occasion (one of which it saved the lives of not just me but 2 pals too) the 416 wasn't too much of a bother. 

TBH the 416 in any shape will perform just as well as a 458 without the extra recoil. I know the 416 Rigby will out penetrate a 458 WM. Its enough gun IMHO

8 hours ago, Manish said:

I have a 357 H&H and a 416 Rigby double rifle both for deer and AOLQ. I had a heck of battle for the 375. Once that had been granted and I took out to Africa on a few occasion (one of which it saved the lives of not just me but 2 pals too) the 416 wasn't too much of a bother. 

TBH the 416 in any shape will perform just as well as a 458 without the extra recoil. I know the 416 Rigby will out penetrate a 458 WM. Its enough gun IMHO

The .416 is a good step up from the .375 that's for sure. I don't know why but I just like the sound of the really big bores. Even .458 has lost it's appeal somewhat. I'd love to have either a .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs but I suspect it would be for range use only.

10 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I want a 375, good reason being I want one probably won't hold much sway with my feo though. Ballistically speaking a big slow bullet will act less violently than a small fast bullet. My 243 can make more of a mess that the 270.

You'd have to catch your FEO on a really good day to get it past them with that reasoning! .45-70 on the other hand is in their guidelines for deer and is a lovely round to shoot. In a light rifle with heavy loads it will recoil every bit as much as a .375H&H on a big 10lb Brno action. As shooters from the USA often say, "you can eat right up to the hole"! This is mine...

.45-70 with Meopta Meored.jpg

Very interesting. I have a .375 H&H and a .45-70 Marlin 1895 (the SBL version). I stick to my .308 for deer in the UK though. You're right about the .45-70, in my Marlin the heavy loads are very lively indeed! 

I've mentioned it before, but if I were to choose anything and ignoring all other factors such as availability etc. I think the .358 Winchester, (a necked up .308) would be excellent on deer. A great big bullet travelling at moderate velocity. Lots of other, older cartridges can duplicate the ballistics, but I just think its a neat cartridge and suspect it would be ideal for everything from small deer to driven boar. 

The biggest i have is a 45-70. I use a Marlin lever action rifle so allows me to load it quite hot. 😉

The recoil is uncomfortable, rifle was pricey but it always puts a smile on my face. Its not a particularly accurate calibre with an 18" barrel and it fires a ball of fire too after the bullet which always looks impressive.

45-70.jpg

5 hours ago, theshootist said:

Very interesting. I have a .375 H&H and a .45-70 Marlin 1895 (the SBL version). I stick to my .308 for deer in the UK though. You're right about the .45-70, in my Marlin the heavy loads are very lively indeed! 

I've mentioned it before, but if I were to choose anything and ignoring all other factors such as availability etc. I think the .358 Winchester, (a necked up .308) would be excellent on deer. A great big bullet travelling at moderate velocity. Lots of other, older cartridges can duplicate the ballistics, but I just think its a neat cartridge and suspect it would be ideal for everything from small deer to driven boar. 

I'm having a .35 Whelen built as we speak. That's a necked up .30-06 so not a great deal different. I'll report back when it's arrived and I've shot a few deer with it but I get the feeling it'll do a fine job. Slow and heavy wins the deer stalking race for me.

15 hours ago, njc110381 said:

The .416 is a good step up from the .375 that's for sure. I don't know why but I just like the sound of the really big bores. Even .458 has lost it's appeal somewhat. I'd love to have either a .500 Jeffery or .505 Gibbs but I suspect it would be for range use only.

Im very tempted by a 500 jeffery. A pal of mine in Zambia has one and says its a real stopper of a rifle. But saying that he also said that my 416 will everything the jeffery will with less pain

15 hours ago, njc110381 said:

Interesting thread. I am looking to apply for something bigger to take to Africa along with my 30-06. My next trip, if I am spared, I hope to shoot an Eland then eventually a Buffalo. 375H&H is the obvious choice but I really want a 404 Jeffery, so I am saving the penny's and looking for a nice old 404 or failing that have one built. 

2 hours ago, aister said:

Interesting thread. I am looking to apply for something bigger to take to Africa along with my 30-06. My next trip, if I am spared, I hope to shoot an Eland then eventually a Buffalo. 375H&H is the obvious choice but I really want a 404 Jeffery, so I am saving the penny's and looking for a nice old 404 or failing that have one built. 

You maybe should consider ammunition available in the areas where you intend to hunt not always a good idea to have a difficult caliber to source ammunition for 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

You maybe should consider ammunition available in the areas where you intend to hunt not always a good idea to have a difficult caliber to source ammunition for 

But if you only need to buy one box of 50 for the duration, maybe not much of a problem?