Credit due

Walker570

Just invested in an electric drive hydraulic log splitter for use up by the house.  I have a large tractor driven one in the wood but sometimes there is a log in the store which is just a bit too big and swinging a splitting wedge was getting a bit of a chore.  I had a look on the web and Wickes had 6ton Handy splitters on offer at £220 and it was delivered within three days.

It looked very substantial and a couple of trial splits it worked fine until I put a short log(6inch) on and then it did initially split it but began to make that unmistakeable noise when a pump is struggling for fluid, so I checked the reservoir and when assembled they had failed to put sufficient fluid in to reach the lowest setting on the dip stick.

I e mailed Handy this morning explainign and enquiring if I could use what I normally use in my other hydraulic units (ATF) and received an automated reply explaing they where struggling becaue of covid and it may take longer to repond. This afternoon I got a friendly reply apologising for the problem and explaing that ATF would not do the job and that they would send me some of their fluid to enable me to top up the reservoir.  I thought it was a brilliant response. 

The splitter looks like it will do what it says on the label and save me a lot of swinging the splitting axe.  Just need to build a bench for it now.

I have been using a Ryobi one for the last 8 years. It looks a little worse for wear now that the side bars are bent from the logs. An excellent piece of kit non the less but sometimes a little dangerous as the logs can fire off horizontally when they go with a bang. For all logs I now use a padding log to reduce the stroke length and speed up the process.

32 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

ha I've just bought a nice hickory handled spliting axe for a few logs in the garden .

The only fluid it runs out of is elbow grease   😆

I used one as a child and a bill hook for stick wood on an oak log in the yard as did OH.

That is great until you get to 65 and both have arthritis. Then a petrol or electric log splitter takes over.👍