COVID Heroes?

Lloyd90

Do you think NHS Workers have enjoyed being “Covid Heroes”? 

An interesting thread on here recently where someone stated they reckon NHS bosses think that many NHS staff have loved being seen as ‘hero’s’ 🤔

I myself am a frontline Social Worker and Mental Health Professional. Out working with people in the middle of the night in the out of hours emergency team. 

I must say if someone tried to let me go to the front of the supermarket queue I would feel like a right idiot, and the same for any other weird gesture. 

Myself and many colleagues have just carried on as normal, doing our best. 

I must say however I have found it really distasteful that some individuals are almost trying to ‘bask in the glory’ of it all. 

A friend of my partner and I is a nurse in the local hospital.  She is constantly off sick, even before Covid.

She has been sick about 6-7 times since Covid started, usually because she can’t be bothered to go in or has been on the drink and then complains she doesn’t feel great. Last night on NYE she was drinking heavily, said she’s fed up of going into work and can’t be bothered. She went off sick two days ago despite saying she had no symptoms. Saw her partner today who said she didn’t bother going in today either. 

Here’s the real kicker though, just before NYE she took to Social Media to post pictures of herself in PPE and scrubs and made a massive post about how awful Covid is and what heroes all the NHS staff are. 

I think she’s had almost as much time off sick as she has had in work!! 

Thankfully I have many other friends in “hero” roles. Mates who are nurses, Police officers, physios, OT’s, social workers, GP’s and Doctors. 

Many people going to work in care homes, hospitals, and other vitally important jobs seem to have just cracked on to keep everything going. 

Why do some people... especially those who are off sick all the time and leave the work to other, suddenly become the ones to shout loudest about how awful things are? Or how they have all struggled? 

I’m sure there’s some sort of complex with those types of people!

It’s really bugged my partner, even worse than me! We get it that some people are genuine hero’s and working their knackers off during these awful times but some people sure do take the P!! 

Borh my wife and myself where serving police officers and our thoughts on the matter are basically all of these people are doing their job, the job they chose. When I joined I never expected to have a beautiful 18year old young lady die on my shoulder and then have to go to her parents and break the news but that was my job, you had to do it to the best of your ability and then get over it.  In my 28yrs I dealt with many similar rough jobs but got on with it and didn't really expect anyone to say thank you but often then did but it wasn't splashed all over the media and that is where the problem lays, they thrive on such stuff.

I was the person who originally posted this. The reality is that the NHS is like any large institution. It has a few superstars, many people who are average and a few slackers. The thing about private companies is that it’s easier (but not necessarily easy) to get rid of slackers. I also know a nurse who is always off sick. She said she had been told to take as much time off due to ‘stress’ as she wanted. 

Another thing is find strange is the huge number of NHS staff who are interviewed by the press. When I worked for large institutions I wasn’t authorised to speak to the press. Only specified people were and only with media training. Yet every Tom, **** and Harry who works for the NHS seems to be giving interviews to the media.  

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Borh my wife and myself where serving police officers and our thoughts on the matter are basically all of these people are doing their job, the job they chose. When I joined I never expected to have a beautiful 18year old young lady die on my shoulder and then have to go to her parents and break the news but that was my job, you had to do it to the best of your ability and then get over it.  In my 28yrs I dealt with many similar rough jobs but got on with it and didn't really expect anyone to say thank you but often then did but it wasn't splashed all over the media and that is where the problem lays, they thrive on such stuff.

Bang on mate! 

I’ve dealt with some very similar stuff, very recently too. 

I don’t want to mention it. It’s part of the job. Suck it up and do what we can to help. 

I think it would be very poor taste of professionals started boasting about those kind of struggles like badges of honour. 

24 minutes ago, AVB said:

I was the person who originally posted this. The reality is that the NHS is like any large institution. It has a few superstars, many people who are average and a few slackers. The thing about private companies is that it’s easier (but not necessarily easy) to get rid of slackers. I also know a nurse who is always off sick. She said she had been told to take as much time off due to ‘stress’ as she wanted. 

Another thing is find strange is the huge number of NHS staff who are interviewed by the press. When I worked for large institutions I wasn’t authorised to speak to the press. Only specified people were and only with media training. Yet every Tom, **** and Harry who works for the NHS seems to be giving interviews to the media.  

Same thing in our job, but even if we were allowed to speak to the media. if the media approached me as a local government worker I wouldn’t want to speak to them. 

Would find it very distasteful to stand there talking about how hard done by I was or how awful the world is. 

This nurse is question often boasts about how brilliant she is in work, yet keeps getting turned down for promotions or new jobs and can’t seem to figure out why ... 

I had one heck of a long rant written about what I think of some of the glory seekers and dossers that are part of the NHS but I fear a wrap over the knuckles from admin 🤐

My pet peeve though is listening to them harping on about having to wear all their PPE on wards and how hard it is, well I sometimes spend the best part of an 8-10 hour shift in full PPE too and I have to wear a full on heavy boiler suit and not a light pair of scrubs.....No clear air conditioned ward either!

This pandemic is an occupational hazard I'm afraid, get on with the job That YOU chose and spend less time taking selfies in your scrubs for Facebook likes.

Like many others, I feel that it is all rather unnecessary.

You choose what you do.

In my Service years I had TV cameras poked in my face a couple of times, you try not to say anything that will get you interviewed back in the office.

I got a great deal of satisfaction from a job well done and if it did get in to the papers was more keen to see the correct people getting the praise.

I would also suggest that most of us who have done the stuff worthy of note, did not start doing the job for that element and are usually quite embarrassed at the time.

I am immensely grateful that those people are there doing their jobs, but hate the modern social media that allows and encourages this total carp which ultimately devalues the work of real heroes.

54 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Like many others, I feel that it is all rather unnecessary.

You choose what you do.

In my Service years I had TV cameras poked in my face a couple of times, you try not to say anything that will get you interviewed back in the office.

I got a great deal of satisfaction from a job well done and if it did get in to the papers was more keen to see the correct people getting the praise.

I would also suggest that most of us who have done the stuff worthy of note, did not start doing the job for that element and are usually quite embarrassed at the time.

I am immensely grateful that those people are there doing their jobs, but hate the modern social media that allows and encourages this total carp which ultimately devalues the work of real heroes.

Absolutely this!! 

I tell all my lads that during their working life they will loose a few finger tips. We are in construction and it has the highest death rate in the world .  

My mates a nurse and a dam good one  and I know many good ones but they never ask for praise . My other friend currently has covid and she’s a paramedic but she knew it’s just a matter of when not if she gets it. They all love the job. 
 The woman you mention is just lazy and many are. Even on my days off I set my alarm for 8am as I believe routine is key to mental health . Some days I hate my job or certain jobs but it’s a necessary evil to pay the bills. 
I chose my profession and I’m aware it’s damaging my health(lungs) I ache most days but it is what it is . 

Excellent post too right, 

Don't hear a lot of shouting thanks for the elderly large supermarket workers that are possibly having to do a job through necessity rather than choice, they come into contact with all walks of life also.

Thanks for them.

On 02/01/2021 at 10:52, team tractor said:

I tell all my lads that during their working life they will loose a few finger tips. We are in construction and it has the highest death rate in the world .  

My mates a nurse and a dam good one  and I know many good ones but they never ask for praise . My other friend currently has covid and she’s a paramedic but she knew it’s just a matter of when not if she gets it. They all love the job. 
 The woman you mention is just lazy and many are. Even on my days off I set my alarm for 8am as I believe routine is key to mental health . Some days I hate my job or certain jobs but it’s a necessary evil to pay the bills. 
I chose my profession and I’m aware it’s damaging my health(lungs) I ache most days but it is what it is . 

I lost my finger tip and I only do it as a hobby

13 hours ago, moondoggy said:

I lost my finger tip and I only do it as a hobby

Easily done 

On 03/01/2021 at 11:37, Walker570 said:

Like father like son

And I have 2 sons to follow me 🤣

23 hours ago, figgy said:

Do you all sing the song one finger one thumb keep moving.

I’d forgotten about that old song 😂