Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I think I have solved the niger seed problem. Cut the base of a plastic drum and made a bracket for it, then hung the two feeders just over the tray.  Yes they still chuck the seed out but we have also seen them feeding in the tray. Have up to six at a time coming every morning and afternoon.

Bullfinch cock and hen, chaffinch cock and hen,  greenfinch hen, and all the other usuals.

Real pleased we have at least one pair of bullfinches in the village.

022.JPG

Good on you Walker !

On 29/03/2023 at 11:58, twenty said:

Osprey recorded from Hampshire To Northumberland ( 4/5 County Sightings ), on their return to breeding sites, over the last few days.

Osprey was over Derbyshire Thursday and Friday too

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

More egrets enjoying the pools of water and wet ground alongside the river here. Becoming quite common sightings now.

First blackbirds egg shell from a hatch found yesterday.

Just starting to see the odd egret up here 

Getting a few parakeets about and hundreds and hundreds of stock doves 

A singing Nightingale in Highnam Woods, Nr Gloucester yesterday (16/4/23).  

Three Ring Ouzel on Cleeve hill, one Ring Ouzel on Stinchcombe golf course (16/4/23).

A Grasshopper Warbler in Frampton reed beds (16/4/23). 

Edited by twenty

Dorset is continuing to deliver some special birds. We have a pair of Black Winged Stilts at Lodmoor right now and are going through protracted courting/mating behaviour. They might actually breed here this time. We've got Forster's Tern still hanging around Wareham/Poole Harbour and we had a very brief visitation from an Elegant Tern too. 

Warblers are coming through too. Whitethroat and Lesser Whitethroat are back. Always nice to see and hear them. Not many ouzels though, which is unusual

Fussy these birds aren't they! I ran out of sunflower hearts the other week so put out some black sunflower seeds,  and they've hardly been touched really. 

Greenfinch on them today,  other wee birds flitting in and out but nothing like I normally get.

The bird bath has been popular today,  and I'm happy to say the Thrushes are still in and out the garden,  the problem is so are 5 or 6 cats 😡

I'm also seeing a lot more thrushes in the woods I shoot either smashed snails everywhere as well as more Willow tits in the new wood 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that my bird feeders aren't being hit as hard, just a few mad flurries , but the Gold and Green finches are still coming,  messy eaters!

I also noticed driving into work this morning a lot of bugs on my windscreen,  which has to be good for the birds.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I have noticed that my bird feeders aren't being hit as hard, just a few mad flurries , but the Gold and Green finches are still coming,  messy eaters!

I also noticed driving into work this morning a lot of bugs on my windscreen,  which has to be good for the birds.

A lot of species that are generalists - tits, robins and the like -  and are already feeding chicks will be looking for protein-rich insect larvae to feed their young, so they will be avoiding the fat-rich seeds that are in most garden feeding stations. once the chicks are fledged and then independent, numbers around the feeders will pick up again - assuming there are no second broods!

6 hours ago, Shufti said:

Heard my first positively identified Nightingale singing tonight.

He was a way off , but heard from approx 9 pm until I left the field at 11pm.

Gorgeous! 

One happy bunny!

Its a lovely song isn't it,

Highnam woods just west of Gloucester has breeding Nightingales, Three singing Nightingales were reported there yesterday (7/5/23).

White stork reported over WWT Slimbridge yesterday (7/5/23), and later over Frampton.

I had a holiday on the isle of Harris/Lewis, returned on 5th May. I was hoping to spot an eagle or two but, despite visiting some hotspots they eluded us, however, while sightseeing with the family I did spot a Stonechat sitting on a fence 6 feet away, Rafts of Scoters, Eider duck and Merganser off shore and  . . . Great Northern Divers swimming 40 metres off the beach. Oh! and Puffins seen from the ferry. All firsts for me except the Stonechat, I was well pleased with the  Great Northern Divers, I was hoping to spot divers of any variety. Even more pleased that they were in identifiable plumage

Yesterday I saw a bird flying near my house which I couldn't identify. If was the size of a crow, had a longish tail and was grey in colour.

The closest bird to it would be a male Hen Harrier but it wasn't one of those.

Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, JDog said:

Yesterday I saw a bird flying near my house which I couldn't identify. If was the size of a crow, had a longish tail and was grey in colour.

The closest bird to it would be a male Hen Harrier but it wasn't one of those.

Any suggestions?

Goshawk ?