Head Teacher's Reply to Know it All Parents.

TIGHTCHOKE

22 minutes ago, wascal said:

My collegues and I visit lots of schools  and a large proportion of teachers (especially the younger ones)  seem to forget they are speaking to adults and not 6 year olds .

So what do you do when visiting lots of schools?  Or is it going to be a “it’s none of your business” type of response........

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, markm said:

It’s little wonder you don’t work there anymore. “I attended the university of life...... I’ll have you know.”

Not sure what you mean by “most schools?” How do you know?

The whole blended learning has moved on significantly to what it was even months ago. 

If you did know anything about schools, it’s not normal for outsiders to have access to ICT systems, for obvious reasons and I don’t know of any schools using ‘zoom’ for their lessons. I think you’ll find google classroom & ms teams are being used by all schools.  

I thought my children’s school used teams but in fact they use zoom. 

I must say I'm mystified,  people need to go back to work to save the economy  (although many on here say its too late),  yet the biggest thing stopping many from working is the schools being shut.

It was reported that everyone in a care home has been "offered " a jab, great stuff.

I've no idea if all NHS have been offered a jab yet? This is definitely needed to get other treatments back up and running. 

We are also told that the kids education will never recover in some cases? So the kids need to be back in school, vaccinating the school staff seems the obvious step.

As for who gets pushed back in the que,  does it matter if they are safely isolating at home?

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

So what difference does another 2 weeks make? Or a month?

If I answered that as I would like to I would be facing a ban.

First the teachers and then who else has a union who states they are more important and have to come next so how long does this "couple of weeks" go on  - soon every one except those that really need it are done, going out and about still getting infected and spreading the bug, but hey ho it's only the old and vulnerable they don't count. 

The young will mostly recover at home no problem, those "delayed" may well end up in hospital. 

24 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

If I answered that as I would like to I would be facing a ban.

First the teachers and then who else has a union who states they are more important and have to come next so how long does this "couple of weeks" go on  - soon every one except those that really need it are done, going out and about still getting infected and spreading the bug, but hey ho it's only the old and vulnerable they don't count. 

The young will mostly recover at home no problem, those "delayed" may well end up in hospital. 

Spot on. Only thing I'll add is hospital or dead. 

On 31/01/2021 at 09:44, 12gauge82 said:

I'm genuinely very sorry to hear that, no offence was intended. 

I'm not trolling, it was a genuine question and one you don't seem to be able to answer. 

No worries, no one can know the issues other people are facing. It was unfair of me to use that as any sort of excuse for my irritability anyway. No hard feelings. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 14:33, markm said:

AVB - Sorry I meant teachers who have had the vaccine (hopefully) do not test positive, so don’t have to self isolate. However - just because they are ‘low risk’ it doesn’t mean they can’t catch COVID, if they do, they have to self isolate, thus potentially closing schools.

12gauge82 - I’ve already told you at least 2 times. Not wasting any more on you. 

Demonic69 - GC and Teams are free to schools, with all the resources you’d need to run remotely. However, they have add-one (eg - google has enterprise for education £42 per member of staff, per year.  I didn’t have to google that......). Not quite sure why schools would ‘need your services’ if they don’t know you from Adam...... they will all have ICT support from the LEA, MAT or bought in services. 

How many are using zoom and not GC and Teams?  Not sure really, but in the north of the UK and south of Scotland, as well as multiple forums I am on for education, I don’t know of any who are. However IF they are, their data protection impact assessment should be flashing CODE RED. It’s also not designed to be an educational platform. To give one example - in a google classroom meet the teacher can lock it down so no chat, no video, most importantly - no outsiders can join in.  Google Meet, only restriction is 100 participants and is a VC app woven into a educational platform. Why create problems for students?  Zoom videos (little control if any) and then give work in google  - MS). KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid should be the motto. 

But hey, what do I know.......

Thought this was an interesting article that proves my point and shows why teachers should not be prioritised for vaccine roll out, look at the long list of occupations that are at far greater risk, it would certainly cost lives and that's what should be being protected before anything else. 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-matt-hancock-insists-vaccine-rollout-right-not-to-prioritise-police-and-teachers-12229814

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Thought this was an interesting article that proves my point and shows why teachers should not be prioritised for vaccine roll out, look at the long list of occupations that are at far greater risk, it would certainly cost lives and that's what should be being protected before anything else. 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-matt-hancock-insists-vaccine-rollout-right-not-to-prioritise-police-and-teachers-12229814

Not quite sure which part of this you don’t understand. 

12gauge82 - I’ve already told you at least 2 times. Not wasting any more on you. 

Have you nothing better to do?

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

I watched the daily update today (first one in a while). I was very much a supporter of teachers ,police officers etc , getting prioritised for the jab , but , after listening to jvt , and his reasoning and statistics , it made absolute perfect sense,  and quickly changed  my mind . The right thing to do , is save lives , the rest can be sorted out later.

25 minutes ago, markm said:

Not quite sure which part of this you don’t understand. 

Have you nothing better to do?

Fair enough I thought it interesting since you've spent a lot of time arguing (rather illogicaly imo) that teachers should be prioritised, this article proves its far from the best plan to save lives. 

I'll leave it there. 

2 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I watched the daily update today (first one in a while). I was very much a supporter of teachers ,police officers etc , getting prioritised for the jab , but , after listening to jvt , and his reasoning and statistics , it made absolute perfect sense,  and quickly changed  my mind . The right thing to do , is save lives , the rest can be sorted out later.

It's probably a good idea further down the line but it's not time yet. I would guess people in your profession are at greater risk also, your colleagues will be touching many surfaces recently touched by half the population and its not like you guys can take a couple of months of like in many other jobs. 

5 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Fair enough I thought it interesting since you've spent a lot of time arguing (rather illogicaly imo) that teachers should be prioritised, this article proves its far from the best plan to save lives. 

I'll leave it there. 

It's probably a good idea further down the line but it's not time yet. I would guess people in your profession are at greater risk also, your colleagues will be touching many surfaces recently touched by half the population and its not like you guys can take a couple of months of like in many other jobs. 

Most of the guys in my department have had it now , and none of us died from it ,but several have come pretty damned close , and a few have been left with some pretty nasty side effects .  Most were just sidelined for ten days,  I was out of the game for almost a month , and a few of us for much longer. Some waste care departments on other local authorities have been absolutely devastated by it though.

When it comes to teachers , and schools , it can't be denied that kids are just dirty little germ machines , and no mastermind could ever design a more efficient virus spreader . But the statistics show that teachers tend not to die from covid (mainly because of age it seems) , yes their is a very good chance that teachers could take it home with them , but on the whole , the people that they might infect , won't die either , and as the vaccination programme grows , the spread (and damage that the spread does) , should get less every day( that includes every profession ). One thing that does concern me , is the growing evidence that covid does harm children ,  it's just that the damage isn't visible at the moment . I just hope that in years to come , history doesn't show that we got it completely wrong , and we should have let the old people die , and concentrated the efforts on saving the children . I dare say that it'll be many years before the answer to that one becomes clear.

Sorry to hear the troubles you and your colleagues have faced, I feel there are many key workers who are being forgotten about during this pandemic because they don't moan and simply get on with it, even though they are at huge risk. I hope their efforts are remembered once this pandemic is contained. 

I wasn't aware of the issues caused to children, very concerning stuff, thanks for the info. 

41 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Sorry to hear the troubles you and your colleagues have faced, I feel there are many key workers who are being forgotten about during this pandemic because they don't moan and simply get on with it, even though they are at huge risk. I hope their efforts are remembered once this pandemic is contained. 

I wasn't aware of the issues caused to children, very concerning stuff, thanks for the info. 

Binmen are a pretty tough bunch , that mainly just get on with it . We've pretty much had cart blanche to blag sick leave during the pandemic,  but apart from the usual suspects, most of the guys I know , have just got on with it (we ain't half done some moaning though😅).

The ones that I've felt truly sorry for , are the front line nhs staff , not only have many of them been working flat out for a whole year , many of them must have been absolutely terrified at the same time . They aren't like a bunch of raggedy *** weather beaten binmen , theyre softer , kinder , and more caring people. 

We currently have in place a medical database that has ones age and serious health issues, hence it’s fairly straightforward to produce a vaccination list accordingly.

AFAIK, this database does not have info as to ones profession. So how would you contact those Teachers, Dentists, Police Officers, cuddly toy makers and all those who are promoting their profession should come first? When it’s already proven that by targeting age groups and those with certain conditions that is happening now, more accurately reflects those most at need. 

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

We currently have in place a medical database that has ones age and serious health issues, hence it’s fairly straightforward to produce a vaccination list accordingly.

AFAIK, this database does not have info as to ones profession. So how would you contact those Teachers, Dentists, Police Officers, cuddly toy makers and all those who are promoting their profession should come first? When it’s already proven that by targeting age groups and those with certain conditions that is happening now, more accurately reflects those most at need. 

That's pretty much the way that jvt put it . It's  better to be in the middle of a fast moving queue,  than be at the front of a very slow moving queue. And wasting time sorting out who's who , doesn't get jabs into arms very quickly. 

4 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That's pretty much the way that jvt put it . It's  better to be in the middle of a fast moving queue,  than be at the front of a very slow moving queue. And wasting time sorting out who's who , doesn't get jabs into arms very quickly. 

And of course once you decide to take one group or profession before another you have to accept that another group will start to mark time.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And of course once you decide to take one group or profession before another you have to accept that another group will start to mark time.

Also very true.

I must confess to being a jvt fan . 

You'll listen to the politician answer a question,  then you listen as jvt tells you the no nonsense truth . I even find it reassuring when the medical professionals admit that they don't know something , it beats a load of political waffle that just leaves you scratching your head.

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Binmen are a pretty tough bunch , that mainly just get on with it . We've pretty much had cart blanche to blag sick leave during the pandemic,  but apart from the usual suspects, most of the guys I know , have just got on with it (we ain't half done some moaning though😅).

The ones that I've felt truly sorry for , are the front line nhs staff , not only have many of them been working flat out for a whole year , many of them must have been absolutely terrified at the same time . They aren't like a bunch of raggedy *** weather beaten binmen , theyre softer , kinder , and more caring people. 

You've just made my point, people like you just get on with it without even realising your doing it. While others moan and grab what they can. I hope once this threat subsides its recognised 👍

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

All very good points

7 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

You've just made my point, people like you just get on with it without even realising your doing it. While others moan and grab what they can. I hope once this threat subsides its recognised 👍

I can tell you without fear of contradiction , exactly how it will be recognised. 

Six months after the whole mess is done and dusted , the talk will turn to cutting costs to pay for it all . The top brass will search high and low for ways to save money ,,,,,,then we'll get a pay cut.  This obviously won't include top brass and councillors,  as their valiant efforts when fighting the covid war ( from their xxxxxxx living rooms ) is recognised , with a pat on the back , and a chunk of cash.