Just took a risk....

Walker570

Spent £350 on a monocular thermal spotter.HIKMICRO Lynx LC 06. Now I did not expect this unit to be all singing all dancing with unlimited range etc., but so far It has shown it can pick up cat sized animals out to 100yrds so a fox should be no problem    What amazed me most was how small a pheasant shows up, because of course only tyhe carcase shines hot and are well protected by the feathers.    Anyone else have one of these.   It did indicate a tree rat on a flip top today which proved fatal to the tree rat.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Spent £350 on a monocular thermal spotter.HIKMICRO Lynx LC 06. Now I did not expect this unit to be all singing all dancing with unlimited range etc., but so far It has shown it can pick up cat sized animals out to 100yrds so a fox should be no problem    What amazed me most was how small a pheasant shows up, because of course only tyhe carcase shines hot and are well protected by the feathers.    Anyone else have one of these.   It did indicate a tree rat on a flip top today which proved fatal to the tree rat.

Bought a 6mm one last year second hand from a chap on here  - now sits in my pocket when down the farm it is really good when the tree rat thinks he’s hiding in the v of a tree and out of sight ( not to a 410 he isn’t ) . I Struggle with seeing the tree rats through heavy leaf cover but its a budget end thermal but that said you can usually move to a vantage point

realy good for floor rats as you can watch where they are running rather than spooking them with the IR found three nests that I did not know about arrond the farm that need reducing 

Again rabbits before switching to ir.

love mine and it has an outing planned to the new area when I pull my thumb out and get some feeders built! To go near the pheasant feeders 

Agriv8

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Those sound pretty cool.  A friend of has a thermal scope and I liked it so much more then night vision. 

Mate got one last month .

For the money its an absolute  game changer. Yes there are better spotters .but like anything price comes with diminishing  returns .

The way I see it .you either get the base model (like yours nev and my mates )  which works fine for rabbits around 70- 100 yds or rats in barns etc .

Or you spend upwards of £1500  and get a real jump in  image quality .just getting the next level or 2 up isn't gonna give you much more but cost 2- 3x as much .

Thermal is amazing . I even use mine in daylight when I'm out shooting rabbits . It let's me spot rabbits a very long time before I spot them with my eyes. Sitting in a highseat overlooking a feeder is great , you can spot the squirrels heading in from hundreds of yards away.

My thermal is pretty much out of date now , but I can still spot rabbits at 600 yards in decent conditions , and know if it's worth heading to certain parts of the farms or not.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Thermal is amazing . I even use mine in daylight when I'm out shooting rabbits . It let's me spot rabbits a very long time before I spot them with my eyes. Sitting in a highseat overlooking a feeder is great , you can spot the squirrels heading in from hundreds of yards away.

My thermal is pretty much out of date now , but I can still spot rabbits at 600 yards in decent conditions , and know if it's worth heading to certain parts of the farms or not.

Hello, wow 600 yards sounds a good model Mel 

A couple of hours with the hic - practice on floor rats ready for tree rats ( but hushpower 410 is the weapon of choice  ).

tried some jsp hades on recommendation through sub 12 bsa. Ultra .22 Think they are a good compromise between hitting power and range.

feeling I would be happy tree  rat piping up to 20-25 Yards 

Agriv8

F1AB2D80-22DA-4924-9CB6-5A9D6AB88DE6.jpeg

On 10/02/2022 at 10:35, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, wow 600 yards sounds a good model Mel 

Sorry Gordon,  I've only just noticed your post mate . 

My thermal is nothing special,  it's an old pulsar quantum xq38 . I've had it a few years , and would guess that's its very much out of date , and old tech by now . It still works great , and allows me to check massive pieces of land , to see if its worth driving/walking there.

When I said spot rabbits at 600 yards , all I can see is small hotspots where I expect the rabbits to be , if I see no hotspots , I'll just move along to the next chunk of land 👍

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

The xq38 I bought a few months back has been amazing. On our shoot we counted 400 duck, 200 geese in one go that we didn’t really know about. 
ive found deer on ground I thought was dead so I’ll be back there soon .

1200 yards I can spot sheep easily 

Yours will be way better than mine I would guess nath , mine must be ten years old by now , I seem to have had it forever . Thermal is a real game changer . I don't shoot much at night these days , but if I do , thermal give me the chance to get close enough to things , that I only need a red torch to take the shot . The kids bought me a pard about three years ago , and it's still sitting in the cupboard .

15 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

A couple of hours with the hic - practice on floor rats ready for tree rats ( but hushpower 410 is the weapon of choice  ).

tried some jsp hades on recommendation through sub 12 bsa. Ultra .22 Think they are a good compromise between hitting power and range.

feeling I would be happy tree  rat piping up to 20-25 Yards 

Agriv8

F1AB2D80-22DA-4924-9CB6-5A9D6AB88DE6.jpeg

Good to see the old fella getting some use .

That's a good haul 

58 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Yours will be way better than mine I would guess nath , mine must be ten years old by now , I seem to have had it forever . Thermal is a real game changer . I don't shoot much at night these days , but if I do , thermal give me the chance to get close enough to things , that I only need a red torch to take the shot . The kids bought me a pard about three years ago , and it's still sitting in the cupboard .

I’m chuffed with my pard . 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Good to see the old fella getting some use .

That's a good haul 

Oh the ultra was on form Ultrastu, think the JSB Hades suit it one of them must have been 25 yards and it flipped it stone dead ! They seeM to have a flat is trajectory. All apart from one didn’t need a second pellet. A fair few that were left at the back of the bull pen and it wasn’t his pet bull it was the nasty ****** !

also finding I am reading distance through the scope for target plus the just behind the ear ! Stick on splatter targets around the yard helping ! 

finally learning to read the little blighters ! A cheep rifle stick also means  I have to move less - so less noise and less fatigue!

another visit planned next week will then feel a bit more comfortable about using the ultra on the tree rats with the hushpower 410 as backup ( longer shots ) 

and finally got one very happy farmer mate !

Agriv8

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Sorry Gordon,  I've only just noticed your post mate . 

My thermal is nothing special,  it's an old pulsar quantum xq38 . I've had it a few years , and would guess that's its very much out of date , and old tech by now . It still works great , and allows me to check massive pieces of land , to see if its worth driving/walking there.

When I said spot rabbits at 600 yards , all I can see is small hotspots where I expect the rabbits to be , if I see no hotspots , I'll just move along to the next chunk of land 👍

No problem Mel, 👍