Blaser F16

alastair0903

Seem I have a blaser itch, is the F16 anywhere near as good as the standards the F3 has set? 
Can any blaser users give me some first hand information on them, obviously all online reviews say the are amazing! 
local gun shop has 2 second hand F16’s in stock at a little over 2k, going to have to go see the guns and see what I think to them. 

I've shot both and sadly not a good enough shot to answer your question. 

Greenfields in Salisbury have had a Blaser on the shelf a few years as it's not shifting. I don't think it's the price point, just seems to have fallen out of fashion for their clientelle. Or, their other guns are more attractive to a more classical market maybe?

The F3 may be good if you want to buy a few barrels as I believe the receiver can at least do 12, 20, and maybe more without changing the receiver. The F16 is only on 12G AFAIK? But, may make it affordable to change depending who you shoot with and what you are shooting.

Edited by HantsRob

I tried one out at a sporting clay shoot and it worked very well for me. It fitted and felt very much the same as my CG and had similarly nice trigger pulls. The owner said it weighed 8lb 3oz which I think is about right for a sporter. Liked it as a shooter, don't like the aesthetics.

Didn't especially notice the recoil BTW, although many Americans moan about harsh recoil with Blasers. Perhaps it's their obsession with rifle mounting shotguns, who knows.

word of warning.....the resale value on Blaser is awful! I bought a F16 Grade 4 before xmas...I couldn't get on with it! was far to light for me, plus the forend felt so flimsy. I ended up buying a new Browning 525 Xltra XS Pro! Should have bought this gun along time ago.

Probably the best bit of Blaser ownership is the aftersales support - the service agent is Mulliners - link: Mulliners Guns

As an example I bought a 2015 gun put it in for service May 2021, Ian Mulliner picked up that the ribs were coming unsoldered under the fore end - replaced under warranty. 

To Pux' point - yeah they depreciate rapidly, the F3s are worse still in that regard.  At the price point of a Blaser there is a lot of choice too.

Edited by Cosmicblue

Been looking at this as a replacement for my 725 as the op has if I have the names right !

muliners won’t issue parts to third party registerd fire arms dealer so it’s got to go back to milliners so rfd for that for most of us !

shot a friends 32 inch f3 very similar to the shoulder to my 725 would really like more of a go with one if I could find a local ground that will higher one !

Been caught out with 725 splitting issues so not sure I could invest the money again

Agriv8

6 hours ago, pux said:

word of warning.....the resale value on Blaser is awful! I bought a F16 Grade 4 before xmas...I couldn't get on with it! was far to light for me, plus the forend felt so flimsy. I ended up buying a new Browning 525 Xltra XS Pro! Should have bought this gun along time ago.

You don't want to sell for a grand then ;)

That's a real shame, I am looking to buy a blaser in the near future potentially and that isn't the feedback I wanted to hear! Sorry to hear the resale value being so poor 😞

7 hours ago, pux said:

This is interesting, the one I am keen on is a grade 4 and it is second hand already….. so hopefully the first owner has taken the hit. I didn’t think they looked that cheap secondhand on guntrader…..

42 minutes ago, alastair0903 said:

This is interesting, the one I am keen on is a grade 4 and it is second hand already….. so hopefully the first owner has taken the hit. I didn’t think they looked that cheap secondhand on guntrader…..

Alastair?

keep us updated - interested how you get on with the switch if it happens 

I too are possibly looking for a replacement to my 725 

Agriv8

Just now, Agriv8 said:

Alastair?

keep us updated - interested how you get on with the switch if it happens 

I too are possibly looking for a replacement to my 725 

Agriv8

If I’m honest the 725 has been parked up since I acquired a round action sporter Rizzini, I have loved shooting it this season. Cannot even imagine wanting to take the 725 over my Rizzini now. Hopefully trade the 725 for a F16, as I seem to prefer 32inch barrels now but am looking for something lighter and faster handling. 

Both my 725 and the f3 I shot were 32 both are fast but I recon the f3 was a little lighter on the nose. Also seen it used as a high game gun and again in the right hands looked impressive! 

strangely enough the chap who has the blazer I used also has a rizini round body 16 gauge ! 

Keep us updated ! I was hoping to get out with that muller this weekend but not looking like it’s going to happen 

Agriv8

7 minutes ago, alastair0903 said:

If I’m honest the 725 has been parked up since I acquired a round action sporter Rizzini, I have loved shooting it this season. Cannot even imagine wanting to take the 725 over my Rizzini now. Hopefully trade the 725 for a F16, as I seem to prefer 32inch barrels now but am looking for something lighter and faster handling. 

On 15/02/2022 at 21:19, alastair0903 said:

Buying second hand is a safe bet, I bought mine from new. I lost a large amount selling it back to the dealer. My own fault for not getting the right gun straight off. Im chuffed with my Browning though. Best of luck with the the future purchase. 

Edited by pux

Just sold a grade 4 F16 sporter, decent gun for me, I shot well with it, but only on game, someone in the syndicate has the game version- it’s really light and very quick, not for me.  The main reason for moving it on was believe it or not was the recoil, seems crazy to have that on a heavier sporter, but can only call it as I found it 

2 hours ago, Bungle The Bear said:

Just sold a grade 4 F16 sporter, decent gun for me, I shot well with it, but only on game, someone in the syndicate has the game version- it’s really light and very quick, not for me.  The main reason for moving it on was believe it or not was the recoil, seems crazy to have that on a heavier sporter, but can only call it as I found it 

Must admit this doesn’t fill me with confidence as I am not a big fan of recoil. I would mainly be using the gun for game shooting, over the years I have seemed to move towards 30g cartridges due to felt recoil. 

I’m the same  - I hate recoil too, I shoot game with my Side by Sides all the time now and only ever use 28g 6s and do just fine, far more enjoyable too. I sometimes use my old Lanber on clays, but mostly just shoot my SxSides.  I was lucky with my sale of the f16 I didn’t lose a lot, but their resale is extremely poor, especially if trading to a dealer -  if I was ever going down the new OU route again I’m afraid it probably wouldn’t be a blaser unfortunately ☹️ Maybe Worth doing a bit more research on the felt recoil, good luck with whatever you go for 👍

Thanks for everyone’s input to this decision. It is looking like I am sticking to the Rizzini, to be honest I have loved shooting it this season and shot well. I got it back out the cabinet yesterday and it just feels right for me. Just to put the finishing touch on it I have ordered a Isis pad, giving it 4mm longer lop should make it perfect. Then I can play around with some lead in the stock to see if I can make it a little more balanced.
End of the day it is a good old case of stick with what fits!  

On 21/02/2022 at 18:10, alastair0903 said:

Thanks for everyone’s input to this decision. It is looking like I am sticking to the Rizzini, to be honest I have loved shooting it this season and shot well. I got it back out the cabinet yesterday and it just feels right for me. Just to put the finishing touch on it I have ordered a Isis pad, giving it 4mm longer lop should make it perfect. Then I can play around with some lead in the stock to see if I can make it a little more balanced.

Good choice, my friend who i shoot with has just swapped his F16 for a F3 Vantage for clays. 

On 21/02/2022 at 18:10, alastair0903 said:

And I think that is a very sensible outcome.  You described in post 1 - a Blaser "itch".  We all get these 'itches'.  But for every post about people responding and scratching these itches, there is one about people who have regretted parting with something that they were actually doing rather well with.

Often, the only real beneficiary is the dealer and manufacturer - who needs to sell customers new products (and trade ins) to keep in business.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

And I think that is a very sensible outcome.  You described in post 1 - a Blaser "itch".  We all get these 'itches'.  But for every post about people responding and scratching these itches, there is one about people who have regretted parting with something that they were actually doing rather well with.

Often, the only real beneficiary is the dealer and manufacturer - who needs to sell customers new products (and trade ins) to keep in business.

All of which I agree with.

If I were looking for a new mid range clays gun the F16 sporter would on the list to try - along with about 4 others - but some itches are better left unscratched. Ask me how I know. 🤣