Quick question on hides

Houseplant

Two meters wide is safe if you take the shots in turns , be careful if both shooting due to clashing barrels etc. Find a solid backdrop to stop silhouettes and avoid excessive movement. We tend to take turns in shooting , the second shooter waits till the second shot and the first shooter drops back to reload. Good luck.

When you are sharing a hide and taking it in turns to shoot just make sure your companion can count to 2. I have shared a hide and sometimes my companions have taken several shots in succession. Their reasoning inevitably was that they thought I would miss when it was my turn.

29 minutes ago, JDog said:

When you are sharing a hide and taking it in turns to shoot just make sure your companion can count to 2. I have shared a hide and sometimes my companions have taken several shots in succession. Their reasoning inevitably was that they thought I would miss when it was my turn.

thats quite funny............mind you ....good excuse

9 hours ago, JDog said:

It sounds like you have noble friends who want to avoid you experiencing the frustration of missing, which is considerate.

A couple of seasons ago we were having a very good walked up day. One gun and I were on a streak of good form, unusually deadly, but our pal was in dreadful form and clean missed every single chance both barrels. We were either side of him and once he had fired, one of us unerringly took the bird. I genuinely felt bad for him each time an easy opportunity was presented to him, as it was not going to be converted. Eventually the other gun decided it was too painful to wait for our pal to miss to wipe his eye, so started taking the middle birds before our pal could even fire. In many ways it was the most compassionate thing to do on that day. 🤣

On a peg on the last drive on a terrible driven day. I had been out of the birds up to that point but was finally in the hot seat and a beauty came over me early, high and fast. Typically I missed both barrels, as I quickly reloaded another bird started breaking cover towards me, I had just closed my gun and lifted it when “bang”... my pal who had watched my frantic reload had dropped my bird well out in front of me. Splitting his sides with laughter. The other guns quickly got in on the act and between them did a fine job of making sure I didn’t miss another bird 😡. It was very funny to be fair, and again probably the kindest thing they could do. 

Edited by WalkedUp

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

They are protected in this country but I have been told by an old timer that they taste awful, is that not the case?

If you're talking about shelducks, then yes, they are more like a goose. The breasts taste like liver with the consistency of leather. If we get any, they will be made in to salami. 

Just to add that I have made the breast edible before by dicing, soaking in Chinese rice wine overnight and then coating in panko breadcrumbs before deep frying. They have that Chinese restaurant flavour to them which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your tastes. A lot of effort though! If we don't get the numbers for salami, we may make jerky out of the breasts. 

On 19/02/2022 at 05:05, Weihrauch17 said:

Good luck.

Thanks mate. We managed 4 ducks and 2 swans. We were hoping on better number, but it was still fun. Report to follow. Two days on the ducks, fishing tomorrow. I'm ********. This life can be quite hard work at times!

Edited by Houseplant

• 3 months later...
On 20/02/2022 at 09:33, Houseplant said:

Thanks mate. We managed 4 ducks and 2 swans. We were hoping on better number, but it was still fun. Report to follow. Two days on the ducks, fishing tomorrow. I'm ********. This life can be quite hard work at times!

I've only just noticed this post .

What do swans taste like ?, and how do you cook them ?.

I've always wanted to try one 😁.

Didn't want to risk serving up roast swan to the family, so they went off to the butcher to be made in to salami, along with some duck, goat and a little bit of venison. All I can say is the final product was very good. Whether that was due to or in spite of the swan meat, I can't say 😀

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Didn't want to risk serving up roast swan to the family, so they went off to the butcher to be made in to salami, along with some duck, goat and a little bit of venison. All I can say is the final product was very good. Whether that was due to or in spite of the swan meat, I can't say 😀

That sound delicious. 

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Beef...ish

That makes sense . A bit goose ... ish .