Auction buys....

impala59

Looking for an old hammer gun to restore, (see SxS club) I also bought at auction, these two for pennies! (the fuel to pick them up was more than the total cost of all three including auctioneers charges!) Having been (good naturedly) lectured by many friends about the merits of over/unders i thought I would dip my toes in the water, so to speak! Both guns have perfect, tight lock up and are solid specimens, with no rattles or immediate problems visible. A trip to the range with some very light test cartridges confirmed functionality and safety.

1356421089_OU(3).JPG.d394d85bb16aae6367e07cadf7c25487.JPG1166327887_OU(4).JPG.d674e5d7568ea8e87e86c24801560a2d.JPG

First, an Emilio Rizzini 26" 1/2(t) and 1/4(b) choke, single selective trigger, side plate model. The wood is nice with no cracks or splits, The only fault I could find was a missing screw which secured the forearm locating mechanism, a simple fix with an M4 screw (just visible at moment as need to cut it back a few mil) Seems to handle and fit me ok, feels like a good 'point and shoot' and looking forward to a new experience at the clay club in due course! I'm not familiar with the brand, but initial research would suggest that is from the budget end of the Rizzini name, still, it seems nicely made. For £20 seems like a no brainer!

2049360846_OU(1).JPG.8cfdab8482106bf0d3d35a9df1d2508a.JPG

1702845656_OU(2).JPG.a0ed052409a532350f715a6dc9f52f73.JPG

Secondly, an old favourite brand of mine, the venerable Baikal, Russian built tank of a shotgun! 27.5" full(t) and half(b) choked Model иж-12, it is a typically solid piece of kit, mint bores, sling swivels (!) with the only faults seemingly a poorly fitted, (glued on!) butt pad and a fairly nasty varnish/lacquer finish which I shall strip and redo at some stage. Two triggers, absolute simplicity. At £10 I felt sorry for it and decided to give it a home!

9 hours ago, impala59 said:

it was online, bit of a spur of the moment thing really and the bids were thick and fast(as were the passed lots) I missed some of the ones I was initially interested in

Hello, thanks to reply, did they send them via RFD, about an hour away from me so I might visit in May, ah I see you picked up ? what are they like to deal with ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Easy to deal with, they will ship if you need. I believe around £30 per gun. Was a 250 mile round trip for me  but if you’re closer then well  worth visiting on viewing day beforehand. It’s a lovely part of the country to drive in, so maybe make a day of it and attend the auction ? Bear in mind the fuel cost though if you’re looking for bargain basement prices!. Good luck!

11 hours ago, theshootist said:

You big softie! Does the Bailkal have "Made in USSR" stamped on it? I have a few Baikal cartridges with a USSR headstamp! I'll give you some next time I see you so can enjoy the full Soviet experience!

Yes it does have the USSR stamp and proper Cyrillic model number! I have a dear friend in Moscow who tells me that her brother has an IZH-81km, Baikal pump action box fed shotgun, she showed him some footage of me doing a bit of PSG, he said “I have good gun for this sport!” now ……..how to get that one home would be interesting to say the least!!!

My first gun was an E Rizzini sideplated 28" sporter which my Dad bought me after I did my GCSE's. It never missed a beat and I shot well with it, but one day after a clay shoot I noticed ring bulges just after the monoblock joints in both barrels, so it sadly had to be scrapped. Claimed on home insurance for accidental damage and the proceeds helped buy a Lanber. 

Emilio Rizzini is the budget brother but the guns were excellent value for money. 

I don't know what caused the bulges to this day. I know of another specimen which is never cleaned but is still going strong. 

19 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Just in front of the monobloc is where the forcing cones are.  I wonder if an 'overlong' cartridge case which intruded into the cone area was the cause?  Only a guess on my behalf.

I only ever used standard cartridges up to the 70mm chamber length. I had an unspoken theory at the time, that a child who was with us maybe put something up the barrels when I wasn't looking - but that seemed bizarre at the time. Or maybe I had left too much oil in the barrels after cleaning. 

On 19/02/2022 at 09:53, impala59 said:

Easy to deal with, they will ship if you need. I believe around £30 per gun. Was a 250 mile round trip for me  but if you’re closer then well  worth visiting on viewing day beforehand. It’s a lovely part of the country to drive in, so maybe make a day of it and attend the auction ? Bear in mind the fuel cost though if you’re looking for bargain basement prices!. Good luck!

Hello, I might look over the next auction if I feel up to the drive, the Lechlade route is a nice way, 

On 18/02/2022 at 16:19, impala59 said:

Stroud Auction Rooms, next sale in May I believe

If you are still looking for a hammer gun to restore I have got a Midland Gun Company hammer gun you are welcome to , I don't want any money for it although a few cartridges would be appreciated , if you need any information , then please feel free to get in touch .

Hi Marsh Man,

Thanks for your kind offer, when I bought the two guns detailed above, I also bought an old Brandon hammer gun (for the price of 3 boxes of cartridges! I detailed that in the Side by Side club thread. I am presently underway with my repairs and restoration on it. Unfortunately, my cabinets are at bursting point or I would be happy to take up your offer, I am sure that there are many on PW who would be grateful for the opportunity. I believe you are in the vicinity of Ditchman, now he would do your hammer justice!!