drill bit sharpeners?

243deer

I bought this one from Screwfix, but have yet to use it (I need to find an old low speed drill), so can't comment on how good it is, but the reviews were promising.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-sharp-drill-bit-sharpener-80-grit/8522H?tc=YB4&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96O7oKrr-AIVjuvtCh2TpgzfEAQYASABEgKFQfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Newbie to this

46 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I bought this one from Screwfix, but have yet to use it (I need to find an old low speed drill), so can't comment on how good it is, but the reviews were promising.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-sharp-drill-bit-sharpener-80-grit/8522H?tc=YB4&ds_kid=92700055262507123&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96O7oKrr-AIVjuvtCh2TpgzfEAQYASABEgKFQfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hi does it say what sort of speed it needs , i've looked but carn't see speed required , will you post when you have used please ? I am defo in need of a drill sharpener ,all the best DD

31 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Hi does it say what sort of speed it needs , i've looked but carn't see speed required , will you post when you have used please ? I am defo in need of a drill sharpener ,all the best DD

3000 max rpm, should work fine with any cordless/corded drill

more than likely made in China, attachment for a bench grinder, it looks ok for twenty quid, if you want to grind tungsten tipped tools/drills a diamond impregnated wheel is best...https://www.abtec4abrasives.com/sealey-drill-bit-sharpener-grinding-attachment-sms01-11567-p.asp

54 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

I'll dig out the manual, it needs a drill that you can lock the trigger on, which are few and far between nowadays, due to safety issues.

27 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I'll dig out the manual, it needs a drill that you can lock the trigger on, which are few and far between nowadays, due to safety issues.

it says in the blurb 3000 max rpm, think most drills run around 1500/2000 rpm, should work fine with any cordless/corded drill, just put a clamp or a bit of electrical tape on the trigger if it does not have a trigger lock.

Edited by old'un

Drill doctor 500. I've tried for years to teach an old farmer I do work for how to sharpen his vast collection of mullered bits, two 8" LinBins filled with a lifetimes worth of abused, blunted, broken and burnt drills must be 2-3 hundred of them. Normally a case of find one in the size you want with a set of calipers and then sharpen it for him. When it's blunt it goes back in the tray..... Went round there one day and he's stood there all smug. Bought himself a Drill doctor 500, will sharpen up to 13mm-1/2" bit, also has the ability to add a split point to the bit after sharpening. He's new to the internet and had seen a convincing add so dived in. Sat there in his kitchen nearly every night for week and sharpened the lot, 2-3hrs every night for a week! Impressive results on the drills and a good test for the machine and cutting wheel. Genuinely impressed with it, repeatable results , easy to set up, adjustable depth of cut, the spilt point function is brilliant. They even do a 750 model will sharpen up to 19mm-3/4" bits. 

10 minutes ago, snow white said:

I do it free hand learn’t how to do when I left school in 1964 was learning sheet metal work use to sharpen them so you could cut holes and the piece that was scrap was like a washer 

yep, same here, learnt to sharpen drills when I left school 1965 and went for a toolmaking apprenticeship, it is a skill but one that is easy to learn, practise make perfect, well most of the time. :)

It's an invaluable life skill, on site one day and had someone else's apprentice with me, went and snapped the only 18mm bit we had, he's a good lad and was genuinely upset at his mistake, convinced he was in for a rollicking he stood there like a kicked puppy when he presented it to me, instead of bawling him out, told him to fetch the 4" grinder, a slitting disc and a fresh grinding disc, proceeded to cut away the dead end and then with him pinning the grinder down, showed him how to sharpen on site, pointing out how important the clearance angle is in relation to "snagging" which caused the brake in the first place. 

thanks for the reply's guys , the drill is not a problem and I've a treadle switch as well , Old Un , I've a gismo like that in the video that clamps on a grinder , never knew how to set it up ,I got it from a car boot years ago LOL Thanks .

9 hours ago, old'un said:

yep, same here, learnt to sharpen drills when I left school 1965 and went for a toolmaking apprenticeship, it is a skill but one that is easy to learn, practise make perfect, well most of the time. :)

It's also a skill that's easy to forget . I was taught how to resharpen drills when I left school , and now , I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to do it . The knowledge has just vanished.

12 hours ago, mel b3 said:

It's also a skill that's easy to forget . I was taught how to resharpen drills when I left school , and now , I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to do it . The knowledge has just vanished.

when you have been doing it for as long as I have, it becomes a bit like riding a bike, dont tell me you have forgotten how to ride a bike.:)

Edited by old'un

2 hours ago, old'un said:

when you have been doing it for as long as I have, it becomes a bit like riding a bike, dont tell me you have forgotten how to ride a bike.:)

I haven’t forgotten how to ride a bike , I'm just too fat to do it these days 😁.

I remember sharpening drill bits , and getting a lot of pleasure from using a freshly sharpened bit (just like a freshly sharpened chainsaw chain) , but having not done it for a long time , I've just lost the skill . I've also lost the skill of tying spade end fishing hooks . My hooks were always perfectly tied ( even in the dark), but after a break of a few years , I just can't do it any more.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I haven’t forgotten how to ride a bike , I'm just too fat to do it these days 😁.

I remember sharpening drill bits , and getting a lot of pleasure from using a freshly sharpened bit (just like a freshly sharpened chainsaw chain) , but having not done it for a long time , I've just lost the skill . I've also lost the skill of tying spade end fishing hooks . My hooks were always perfectly tied ( even in the dark), but after a break of a few years , I just can't do it any more.

last time I seen you, you were a fine figure of a man, don't tell me you have let yourself go.:no:

1 hour ago, old'un said:

last time I seen you, you were a fine figure of a man, don't tell me you have let yourself go.

Unfortunately,  my back is shot to bits now , so the less active I become , the fatter I get . Just getting my pigeon gear and myself ,  over a gate , and carrying it along a field , almost killed me this morning. 

I'd go on a diet , but I'm just too damned hungry 😄.

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Unfortunately,  my back is shot to bits now , so the less active I become , the fatter I get . Just getting my pigeon gear and myself ,  over a gate , and carrying it along a field , almost killed me this morning. 

I'd go on a diet , but I'm just too damned hungry 😄.

you went pigeon shooting today in this heat???? must be mad.

try a sea food diet, and that does not mean eat everything you see. :)

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

you went pigeon shooting today in this heat???? must be mad.

try a sea food diet, and that does not mean eat everything you see.

I didn't shoot for too long because of the heat , I got out of the field just before I thought I might die 😄.

I really didn't fancy it to be honest dave , but I always turn up when a farmer calls.

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely he is the original Tipton Bronze Adonis!   :w00t:

You know it 😄😄😄😄.

I've realised today that the years are catching up with me . I've spent many a sweltering day shooting pigeons. Carrying litres of iced water to keep the shot birds cool in sacks , then walking miles back to and from the car with the kit , and dead birds . I think today was my last red hot hike . I'll start waiting for the stubbles so that I can drive.