Kent Super Fast pigeon HV 29 gram no.6

Has any one tried these cartridges and how did you get on with them? I bought some on a recommendation and because they did not have any Gamebore Clears and they were reasonable money wise. It is only the second time I have purchased Hull cartridges and I am not convinced. Took me three boxes to suss them out and get my eye in with them, but still I don’t like them as I seem to be getting a lot more ‘runners’ than I would with Gamebore. I usually average a 4:1 hit to miss ratio on a good day, not so with these.

Anyone else had any experience with them?

Edited by army646

Maybe you just haven’t got your eye in with them or using a choke they don’t work so well with?! 
Not lately but I used a fair few thousand a while back and they were mustard on pigeons, certainly not a ‘runner’ cartridge. 
The only shells I really couldn’t get on with funnily enough were some clear pigeon fibres, but the old black cased ones so I never bothered with them since 😂 

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought "Kent" was a Gamebore brand?

100% wasn't aware they still made the kent range I thought they discontinued them and made the gamebore velocity 30gram 6 Pigeon cartridges also the velocity 28gram 7.5 clay load Gamebore also make the pigeon cartridges for just cartridges which I imagine is a rebranded gamebore velocity 30gram 6 but stamped just cartridges & a different case & box 

13 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

100% wasn't aware they still made the kent range I thought they discontinued them and made the gamebore velocity 30gram 6 Pigeon cartridges also the velocity 28gram 7.5 clay load Gamebore also make the pigeon cartridges for just cartridges which I imagine is a rebranded gamebore velocity 30gram 6 but stamped just cartridges & a different case & box 

Just seems odd that the OP says Hull.

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Possible mix up of manufacturers 29gram 6 is hulls current superfast pigeon range. From googling the Kent range was a 28gram 6 quoting that the 1gram less was where the saving was made making it there budget pigeon load 

Screenshot_20220822-193347_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Maybe he got mixed up with Hull Superfast Pigeon , these are high velocity 6s and are in 29 gms . just got through a slab and I found them a hard hitting cartridge , light on the shoulder and a decent cartridge up to a good range , price wise they are between £75 and £80 a slab depending on where you get them from , mine were a bit cheaper than at , as they say , it's who you know and not what you know 😉

Edited by marsh man

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Maybe he got mixed up with Hull Superfast Pigeon , these are high velocity 6s and are in 29 gms . just got through a slab and I found them a hard hitting cartridge , light on the shoulder and a decent cartridge up to a good range , price wise they are between £75 and £80 a thousand depending on where you get them from , mine were a bit cheaper than at , as they say , it's who you know and not what you know 😉

I’d say he’s talking about Hull Superfast Pigeon. 
Have you just arrived from 1995 Marshman…..£75-80/thousand 😂🤣

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought "Kent" was a Gamebore brand?

Kent bought game bore over 20 yrs ago. They are now suddenly starting to rebrand game bore cartridges. 

If you look on the American forums they are leading the way in steel shot and tss loads. So i assume they will be bringing them here now lead is dead. 

12 minutes ago, mellors said:

Kent bought game bore over 20 yrs ago. They are now suddenly starting to rebrand game bore cartridges. 

If you look on the American forums they are leading the way in steel shot and tss loads. So i assume they will be bringing them here now lead is dead. 

Would be nice to see more foreign cartridge companies coming over into the UK market to shake it up winchester, federal , Kent, even bio ammo which is rebranded solognac steel loads you can buy them in decathlon france but not england. Cheddite & clever should push for more of the UK market share as well as victory! I imagine its all down to shipping costs & demands 

27 minutes ago, Wilts#Dave said:

I’d say he’s talking about Hull Superfast Pigeon. 
Have you just arrived from 1995 Marshman…..£75-80/thousand 😂🤣

Would be nice to go back to the 90s Will , my mistake it should have read a slab of 250 , the days of buying a 1000 are drawing to a close and I now have two slabs in stock and buy when any come available , or from a fishing shop near me that sells cartridges and as luck would have it , one of my relations work there which is handy :good:

Oops! My bad folks.

They are Hull 29 gram No.6 Superfast Pigeon HV
Don’t know how I got from ‘Hull’ to ‘Kent’ not like it is just round the corner 🤔😂😂😂

Might be just me then dealing with how fast they are. I was finding that at 25-40 yards that I ended up reducing the lead until I was pretty much aiming at them. I did eventually get a bit more on terms with them shooting 34 for 45-50 carts.

I reckon I will still revert to Gamebore Clears or Eley Pigeon however. I suppose it is just what you get use to

16 minutes ago, army646 said:

Oops! My bad folks.

Don’t know how I got from ‘Hull’ to ‘Kent’ not like it is just round the corner 🤔😂😂😂

Might be just me then dealing with how fast they are. I was finding that at 25-40 yards that I ended up reducing the lead until I was pretty much aiming at them. I did eventually get a bit more on terms with them shooting 34 for 45-50 carts.

I reckon I will still revert to Gamebore Clears or Eley Pigeon however. I suppose it is just what you get use to

Take your reading glasses when you buy more carts!  :rolleyes:

On 23/08/2022 at 18:07, army646 said:

Oops! My bad folks.

They’re a very good pigeon/game cartridge.

44 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

took me a a dozen or so shots to get used'd to the speed compared to what I was using previously 

All in the mind!

I think the difference in required lead between a “slow” cartridge and a “fast” cartridge is about four to six inches at forty yards, so covered by the spread of the pattern.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

All in the mind!

I think the difference in required lead between a “slow” cartridge and a “fast” cartridge is about four to six inches at forty yards, so covered by the spread of the pattern.

100% is once I got to grips with them & stopped over thinking it & just shot I managed to put down just short of 30 flighting 

• 5 weeks later...

So it's not just me then.

Stone Dead 32g 5's are my usual & preffered cartridges,i really rate them (& so do others that i have given some to try in the past),i control a lot more corvids than pigeons,for me to obtain Stone Deads it's a near 700 mile round trip,i cannot obtain Hull Superfast Pigeon HV 29g 6's locally either but i can get them in Glasgow,my 'local' gunshops only stock high-end cartridges at ridiculous prices so i do not entertain them,anyway,i gots to thinking that perhaps i should switch to using Hull Superfasts on pigeons to save the Stone Deads for the corvids so the last time i was in Glasgow i bought quite a few slabs of Hulls at a reasonable price,i thought they'd be fine,they seem to be popular with a lot of pigeon shooters who shoot a lot more pigeons than i ever will (the numbers just aren't the same up here),i'm struggling to get to grips with the Hulls,really struggling!.

My first day using the Hulls on pigeons had me missing & winging more birds than ever in my life,it was quite frankly ridiculous!,my thoughts were choke & pattern,Stone Dead's are allegedly 1340fps,the Hull Superfasts 1500fps so i was allowing for that,i always use 1/4 choke on corvids & pigeons with the Stone Dead 5's & they do exactly what they say on the box so i thought there'd be no problem with 1/4 choke with the Hulls.

A week later had me patterning the Hulls & for reasons beyond me they patterned ok but slightly off to the left through every choke i tried,the Stone Deads as per usual were bang on center,go figure!,patterned at 24yds,30 inch circle & off a bench & bags to eliminate pilot error,full set of Optima Plus chokes,3 extended Teague chokes & an extended Optima Plus L/M choke.gun fit is fine.

My last 3 outings on pigeons with the Hulls i switched to a cylinder Optima Plus choke,being mindful not to 'stretch the barrel' & take into account that the Hulls are patterning slightly off to left,i got better results but i'm still not happy,i can't get my head around this 'off to the left' patterns,that's a new one on me,i've never had that with any other cartridge i've patterned,i think i'll be selling the remaining slabs of Hulls & sticking to what i'm familiar with.

Tin hat is on.............🤨

1 hour ago, 51/50 said:

So it's not just me then.

Stone Dead 32g 5's are my usual & preffered cartridges,i really rate them (& so do others that i have given some to try in the past),i control a lot more corvids than pigeons,for me to obtain Stone Deads it's a near 700 mile round trip,i cannot obtain Hull Superfast Pigeon HV 29g 6's locally either but i can get them in Glasgow,my 'local' gunshops only stock high-end cartridges at ridiculous prices so i do not entertain them,anyway,i gots to thinking that perhaps i should switch to using Hull Superfasts on pigeons to save the Stone Deads for the corvids so the last time i was in Glasgow i bought quite a few slabs of Hulls at a reasonable price,i thought they'd be fine,they seem to be popular with a lot of pigeon shooters who shoot a lot more pigeons than i ever will (the numbers just aren't the same up here),i'm struggling to get to grips with the Hulls,really struggling!.

My first day using the Hulls on pigeons had me missing & winging more birds than ever in my life,it was quite frankly ridiculous!,my thoughts were choke & pattern,Stone Dead's are allegedly 1340fps,the Hull Superfasts 1500fps so i was allowing for that,i always use 1/4 choke on corvids & pigeons with the Stone Dead 5's & they do exactly what they say on the box so i thought there'd be no problem with 1/4 choke with the Hulls.

A week later had me patterning the Hulls & for reasons beyond me they patterned ok but slightly off to the left through every choke i tried,the Stone Deads as per usual were bang on center,go figure!,patterned at 24yds,30 inch circle & off a bench & bags to eliminate pilot error,full set of Optima Plus chokes,3 extended Teague chokes & an extended Optima Plus L/M choke.gun fit is fine.

My last 3 outings on pigeons with the Hulls i switched to a cylinder Optima Plus choke,being mindful not to 'stretch the barrel' & take into account that the Hulls are patterning slightly off to left,i got better results but i'm still not happy,i can't get my head around this 'off to the left' patterns,that's a new one on me,i've never had that with any other cartridge i've patterned,i think i'll be selling the remaining slabs of Hulls & sticking to what i'm familiar with.

Tin hat is on.............🤨

Sounds like your barrel is flexing with the faster carts  throwing the pattern  left .

Barrel harmonics .

Either that or your barrels are loose ?

Barrel is most certainly not loose,neither is any other part of the gun (Xtrema 2),it's never happened with any other cartridges i've patterned & i've never had misses or winged birds like i have with the Hulls,the gun handles 3" magnums on geese with no problems so it can't be anything to do with high velocity charges,the gun has never missed a beat or failed me in all my years of it's ownership,i'm stumped!

Edited by 51/50

18 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

Barrel is most certainly not loose,neither is any other part of the gun (Xtrema 2),it's never happened with any other cartridges i've patterned & i've never had misses or winged birds like i have with the Hulls,the gun handles 3" magnums on geese with no problems so it can't be anything to do with high velocity charges,the gun has never missed a beat or failed me in all my years of it's ownership,i'm stumped!

I'm offering an explanation (its probably  wrong ) but it might be worth investigating , barrel harmonics are a very real factor in rifle shooting and probably also with single barrelled  shotguns (thinking thinner barrels like a .410 .)