South Wales RFDs dissappearing

smokingdragon

2 hours ago, smokingdragon said:

i've been trying to source different makes of rimfire ammo and have found out that all the old RFD's are giving up as too much hassle. My nearest one is Bridgend and that is about 30 miles away 😞

Is this the same in other parts of the country?

Not aimed at the OP. But at a wider collective:

Or maybe folk visit their shop, handle the stock, mount and dismount the guns, try on the shooting coats and jackets and then...wave a cheerio and an "I'll think about it" and buy it online from one of the big box shooting retailers. The old advice. Use it or lose it. 

2 hours ago, Boristhedog said:

I don’t know where you are in South Wales but thought I’d mention a newish gun shop in Sennybridge. It’s pretty good too! 

Brilliant i'm driving through there next week!...Also there is a gun shop in Lampeter. 

He is a registered RFD so I don't think he would have an issue sourcing RF and CF ammo.

I'm guessing shotgun, game and clay related products are his main selling items as that's what his current client base needs.

Worth a chat at least to register your interest. I know he orders a lot on customer request so could be of use if you call in your orders ahead of time.

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

what part of wales are you down west plenty in the east 

Near Neath, Neath guns  gave up their RFD a few years ago and now only sell airgun kit, A1 in Pontadawe have also now just sell air guns and run airgun ranges. This leaves Keen's Guns in Bridgend  and they are having difficulties getting hold of any other makes of sub sonics.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend (who is an rfd) says its impossible to make a living purely out of being an rfd. He spends more and more of his time selling non shooting sports gear on the internet these days.

He also said another time that rifle ammo sells so slowly that it's not worth tying up money in stock. Except for the four or so most popular calibres he doesn't replace stock when it sells out. On that occasion he was talking about 7x57 ammo

I think a lot of rfds are just waiting for the leases to run out on their shops. And I know they are very worried about the lead ban

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/09/2022 at 08:55, Poor Shot said:

He is a registered RFD so I don't think he would have an issue sourcing RF and CF ammo.

I'm guessing shotgun, game and clay related products are his main selling items as that's what his current client base needs.

Worth a chat at least to register your interest. I know he orders a lot on customer request so could be of use if you call in your orders ahead of time.

According to his latest post on FB he's going to be selling FAC rifles and ammo in the New Year. Good news!

On 27/12/2022 at 13:36, Aled said:

Is that the relatively new shop on the main street? Its closed very recently if so bought some stuff there a few months ago. 

Ah, if it’s a new shop, then I don’t know.

I thought the poster was on about the small shop in the alleyway.