Eubank v Benn

SuperGoose75

Well it is just shy of 30 yrs since the two fathers went to war in the ring in their second fight. How I loved them Saturday night fights on ITV. From the intro music to the actual fights themselves. I was a Nigel Benn fan back then and hard to believe that like most back then, I despised Chris Eubank. Looking back now and over the years my feelings on Eubank have changed. What an unbelievable character we have been lucky to have witnessed. An unusual,quirky, enigmatic character with a big heart. I still think the ring walk in his 2nd fight v Ray Close  in Belfast is up there with one of the best ring walks ever.

As for the two Son's, I woudn't say that I'm particulary a fan of either. For me Connor Benn has not really been tested. A lot has been made of his win over a PE teacher that had no power to trouble Benn.

Eubank Jnr has been in the bigger fights and is the bigger man, having fought at SMW whilst Benn is coming up from WW. 

Will Eubank possibly be weight drained and not have his natural strength and will Benn look at that as an advantage on his part and think he has the power to trouble Jnr?

Many of the boxing pundits are giving Connor Benn a real chance of winning this fight.For me I think Eubank Jnr will be too much in every department.Benn may have his moments but Eubank Jnr for the win and by stoppage is my prediction. A very interesting fight with family pride at stake.

Its 1-0 in Eubanks favour with one draw. Although most would agree the Nigel Benn was the better man in their 2nd fight.

Whos money is the PW fight fans on?

Eubank jnr for me even tho he is a massive helmet. Bigger stronger man naturally.

Its just a money making fight for them both in all honesty there is no grudge between either of them & there both in two different weight classes. Would of preferred to see connor benn stay at 147 & progress his career needs the experience.

Eubank jnr is just in it for the money everytime he has stepped up at 160-168lb he has had his lid screwed on not a  world level fighter. 

Both eubanks snr & jnr will enjoy it all more tho all the spot light is on them & there ego's some of the stuff eubanks jnr has said & done in the build up is some of the most cringey stuff I've heard & seen. 

On twitter and in the papers

‼️ Conor Benn has reportedly tested positive for clomifene in a VADA drugs test ahead of his fight with Chris Eubank Jr on Saturday night. Substance is on the WADA banned list. It’s claimed Eubank Jr still wants fight to go ahead regardless. [According to

]

1 hour ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Well it is just shy of 30 yrs since the two fathers went to war in the ring in their second fight. How I loved them Saturday night fights on ITV. From the intro music to the actual fights themselves

Absolutely,  you knew who the fighters were and was looking forward to the fights, I haven't seen Benn fight at all, and haven't seen Eubank fight in a long time.

You could not make it up! Seems to be always something with boxing these days.  Fans of the sport that look forward to the fights ae being constantly let down, either with fights being called off due to cheating boxers , or corrupt judging. 

As it stands the British board of boxing are refusing to sanction the fight, but apparently the fight is not off!  The two boxers concerned want the fight to still go ahead (wont get paid otherwise) so ''Fast Eddie'' is looking for loopholes to allow the fight to go ahead.  Kind of takes the shine off things and Benn will have lost a lot of credibility now no matter what happens. Pity because there is an Irish fighter who is hot on Benn's heels and although still raw, will bang with Benn all night long.

I hope it goes ahead and then it is a countdown to the rescheduled and much anticapted womans bout of Shields v Marshall. Thats one I really am looking forward too.

I'd like it to go on, but I can't see it happening if BBBBBBC won't sanction it. My guess is they'll fast-track the B-sample and hope it's clear. If it's not, that's the end of it and we'll all have to wait a little bit longer for the circus to deliver its pantomime

Utterly absurd. And so typical of boxing.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

I'd like it to go on, but I can't see it happening if BBBBBBC won't sanction it. My guess is they'll fast-track the B-sample and hope it's clear. If it's not, that's the end of it and we'll all have to wait a little bit longer for the circus to deliver its pantomime

Utterly absurd. And so typical of boxing.

100% I've loved watching reading & learning about boxing from a young age but it is honestly becoming a circus & a pantomime all these YouTubers as well at it isn't worth watching anymore.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

It doesn't need sanctioning by BBBC. One of David Haye's fights was sanctioned by the Luxemburg BBC.

True. Vs Chisora, but it did nothing for either boxer's credibility. Both these two want to show they're the real deal, so I'd be surprised if either thought it would be a good idea to have a fight that so fragrantly dodged the rules with sanctioned fights. Personally, I think it's a bad idea anyway. It sets precedent for any idiot to get a fight they have no place being in provided they can persuade someone to sanction it. That sounds like it's too open for abuse and could get dangerous.

Boxing is becoming a joke for a few reasons, the view that a loss is the end of a career, no. Fans want to see even matchups. 
The pantomime surrounding some fights to buildup the ppv numbers ruins it.

Fury vs Chisora 3, no thanks, we all know the outcome.

Marshall vs Shields…yes please I’ll watch that!

As for Benn vs Eubank….another poor matchup. Too soon for Benn for me, stick to your own weight, in time he “may” move up but doesn’t look like he struggles making the limit.

Eubank has talked about other fighters for years and apart from BJS he’s fought no one in their prime to justify his chatter. Pity really.

Lads in work have said the whole event will be cancelled,  if so there's going to be an awful lot of boxers and punters severely upset by all of this.

5 hours ago, Hicky said:

Boxing is becoming a joke for a few reasons, the view that a loss is the end of a career, no. Fans want to see even matchups. 

Absolutely,  the great fights my old fella talked about and then the Eubank vs Benn era were good because you didn't know who would win.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Lads in work have said the whole event will be cancelled,  if so there's going to be an awful lot of boxers and punters severely upset by all of this.

Absolutely,  the great fights my old fella talked about and then the Eubank vs Benn era were good because you didn't know who would win.

Late 80’s and 90’s had some fantastic matchups. Imagine some of the fighters now offered to step in with Julian Jackson like Graham did(until the right hook he looks great). 

18 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

I hope it goes ahead and then it is a countdown to the rescheduled and much anticapted womans bout of Shields v Marshall. Thats one I really am looking forward too.

Hope it goes ahead & looking forward to shields v Marshall as well should be a cracker.

I was fortunate enough to watch a number of the Eubank, Benn, Collins fights from inner ringside.

Sad this fight is off but it was never going to live up to the originals imho, not looking at the past with rose tinted glasses, I just don’t believe either of the current boys are anywhere near the level of their fathers.

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I was fortunate enough to watch a number of the Eubank, Benn, Collins fights from inner ringside.

Sad this fight is off but it was never going to live up to the originals imho, not looking at the past with rose tinted glasses, I just don’t believe either of the current boys are anywhere near the level of their fathers.

100% boxing legends sons never match upto there dads they never had the hard/poor/rough upbringing there fathers faced and rightly so if you have struggled early on in life you would want to spoil & protect your son once you are a father as I imagine both eubanks , benn , Hatton & all other boxing legends have done. 

The sad part of this story tho is that if it does unfold that connor benn's second sample comes back testing positive for this hormone drug is that his career will be tarnished & currently its a career based fully on his second name not a career he has carved out yet himself with a list of notable opponents.

19 hours ago, Mullard83 said:

Hope it goes ahead & looking forward to shields v Marshall as well should be a cracker.

There is no love lost between these two! The build up has been very entertaining and the fact they have history adds a bit of spice to things. It has all the potential to be a cracker for sure.

12 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

100% boxing legends sons never match upto there dads they never had the hard/poor/rough upbringing there fathers faced and rightly so if you have struggled early on in life you would want to spoil & protect your son once you are a father as I imagine both eubanks , benn , Hatton & all other boxing legends have done. 

The sad part of this story tho is that if it does unfold that connor benn's second sample comes back testing positive for this hormone drug is that his career will be tarnished & currently its a career based fully on his second name not a career he has carved out yet himself with a list of notable opponents.

100% on the money.

So the fight has been postponed rather than scrapped altogther. IMO if found quilty of cheating by way way of performance echanching drugs in a ''combat sport'' the fighter should get a lifetime ban from the sport. This isnt like the tour de france where cheating to win an endurance race( although morally wrong) rarely puts another persons life in danger. From tainted meat,to eating uncastrated boar meat to nasal spray exuses..all points to dodgy goings on in a sport that is losing credability on a regular basis. A shame really as it has always been a popular form of entertainment. It can be a rags to riches sport and many young men will continue to try and make the big time through dedication to the sport.The thing is neither of these two really had to to do it for that reason. 

Ah well,hopefully next weekends show will make up for this weekend dissapointment.

Edited by SuperGoose75