WRWC 2022

henry d

Let me guess....this will be the few fully professional sides vrs the amateurs....recording record points wins untill the last four all the while those presenting gushing about the standard we are witnessing.....

You would not let an amateur boxer in the ring with a professional but currently women's sport is doing this and selling it as an example of developing the "game"......

57 minutes ago, millrace said:

Let me guess....this will be the few fully professional sides vrs the amateurs....recording record points wins untill the last four all the while those presenting gushing about the standard we are witnessing.....

You would not let an amateur boxer in the ring with a professional but currently women's sport is doing this and selling it as an example of developing the "game"......

Is that not what happens in so much mens games ?

FA CUP

LEAGUE CUP

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS

WORLD CUP

F1 RED BULL V HAAS 

etc etc 

I think fair play to the ladies especially the football team- they play with heart and intent - they actually put the men to shame 

Edited by jall25

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Yes, no?

I'm not getting up to watch but on recent form looking forward to seeing the ladies in action 

Ach it's a shame it's on at 4:45am! I'm probably not getting up for it, but I'm thinking it's a straightforward win. The banana skin in the early stages will be France. I just hope we live up to our potential. The reality is that, were we allowed to send two teams, it could have been England Firsts vs England Seconds in the final, such is our depth.

France will be dangerous, possibly New Zealand on home soil and Canada. Hard to look beyond them - but on form, ability and depth, it feels England's to lose.

Right. Not a perfect start, by any means. A bit scrappy in the first half and not as clinical as we should have been. Fiji were a typical pacific island nation in the first half: very loose and free flowing, but lacked quality. They tired badly in the second half, England got better and better, although they'll be narked with the last minute try. Still. 14 tries in the bag and Dow on the scoresheet. hurrah!

11 hours ago, millrace said:

As jail above, it is developing other countries teams and that's a good thing. 

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Right. Not a perfect start, by any means. A bit scrappy in the first half and not as clinical as we should have been. Fiji were a typical pacific island nation in the first half: very loose and free flowing, but lacked quality. They tired badly in the second half, England got better and better, although they'll be narked with the last minute try. Still. 14 tries in the bag and Dow on the scoresheet. hurrah!

Agreed, I was however surprised that they got sucked into the Fijiana game plan rather than stretching their drift defence and going around them in the first half. Looking forward to France. 

6 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

@Houseplantwhat's the buzz about the tournament like down there? I know they're hoping to fill the stadia; is that realistic?

I'm pretty removed from all of this, so probably not the best person to ask. Funnily enough, we were talking about the tournament earlier today. Quite a few games are being played in our nearest large town (Whangarei). My wife bumped in to the Canadian team yesterday. God knows what they thought of an ugly, New Zealand provincial service town, but they are from Canada, so maybe they're used to that kind of thing! Anyway, Mrs Houseplant got all excited about it and booked 5 tickets for the quarter finals for herself and some friends. Tickets were only $10 (GBP5) each!

For my own part, very sorry to be a party pooper, but not really interested. I'll be fishing.

4 hours ago, Houseplant said:

I'm pretty removed from all of this, so probably not the best person to ask. Funnily enough, we were talking about the tournament earlier today. Quite a few games are being played in our nearest large town (Whangarei). My wife bumped in to the Canadian team yesterday. God knows what they thought of an ugly, New Zealand provincial service town, but they are from Canada, so maybe they're used to that kind of thing! Anyway, Mrs Houseplant got all excited about it and booked 5 tickets for the quarter finals for herself and some friends. Tickets were only $10 (GBP5) each!

For my own part, very sorry to be a party pooper, but not really interested. I'll be fishing.

This is the only acceptable alternative ;)

On 07/10/2022 at 20:27, millrace said:

Hey, some women's sports are letting men compete 😉

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

England 10-0 France at HT

Heavy stuff so far. England are the better side and France are going through a mighty amount of work. I think that'll pay in the last 20, especially with a couple of injury subs already made. More of the same, please!

Ditto. Proper competition, shame about the French injuries. 

I didn't watch all of this match, but what I did watch was brilliant rugby from both teams ! France got their only points from a great kick but made too many mistakes to add to them. England just ground out the win running down the clock trying not to make any errors. Very entertaining 😀

I'm watching Aus vs Wales. And feeling very blessed to be an England fan. My word this is dire. It's like watching me fly fish. I know what I'm meant to be doing. I know how it's supposed to go and occasionally I pull it off. But the vast majority is desperately frustrating and mostly inept. The handling errors from Australia have been laughable at times. They should be thrashing Wales, but instead it's a 3 point game after more than an hour.

Bring on the Red Roses tomorrow...

5 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

My word this is dire. It's like watching me fly fish. I know what I'm meant to be doing. I know how it's supposed to go and occasionally I pull it off. But the vast majority is desperately frustrating and mostly inept.

This my friend sums up womens rugby!!! Bar a cpl of professional squads this is where the rest are at!!