Sensibly priced FAC air rifle...advise

Walker570

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

No he didn't ask for that. He asked for a sensibly priced FAC-Air rifle advice. Sort of suggesting he already knew what would suit best...

'I'm after a new tractor.'

'certainly sir, I think this bicycle will do the job'

Mmm and posted in air gun section as well I know it’s a rare for a thread to be in the correct section-

ps my shotgun renewal is due in the new year - I think it’s time for a letter to my fao enquiry about an upgrade to fac

Agriv8

33 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Mmm and posted in air gun section as well I know it’s a rare for a thread to be in the correct section-

ps my shotgun renewal is due in the new year - I think it’s time for a letter to my fao enquiry about an upgrade to fac

Agriv8

Oh yeah .

What you thinking and why ? 

32 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Larsen trap.

Been tried,  but as in the first instance I was shooting as many as twenty in a few hours a larsen was not in the same league plus they have to be monitored which the farm did not have the time and I lived a distance away.  Same situation now.   I average two or three a visit and probably make a visit once a week spacifically on maggies.  The area surrounding is magpie heaven with a large tract of woodland and then bang up against a heavily built up area.

I have an Air Arms S200 which is superbly accurate so I would tend to lean towards an AA rifle. No rush as I do not have the OK from the FA Dept yet.

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Been tried,  but as in the first instance I was shooting as many as twenty in a few hours a larsen was not in the same league plus they have to be monitored which the farm did not have the time and I lived a distance away.  Same situation now.   I average two or three a visit and probably make a visit once a week spacifically on maggies.  The area surrounding is magpie heaven with a large tract of woodland and then bang up against a heavily built up area.

I have an Air Arms S200 which is superbly accurate so I would tend to lean towards an AA rifle. No rush as I do not have the OK from the FA Dept yet.

Shame you can't borrow my AAS410 Xtra SL. like you could a shotty.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Oh yeah .

What you thinking and why ? 

Similar as walker570 crows and magpies that I am not confident distance wise for sub 12. It seems like the right time as farmer will support my application on his land . Longer term would love to start pitting my whits against the foxes 

Agriv8

ps loaded Larson trap has failed my belief is they know the cows eat the good Stuff 

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

Can you not borrow an Fac then if you both have a licence?

But it would be nice to try one for range and see how it gets on before buying something. 

Not as far as I know as "estate" rifle won't cover it. It's good to 70 yds on crows and tree rats.

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That's a shame. The fact that I'm in East Exmouth and the farms are West of Budleigh Salterton is what got me a load of free game shooting as I'm within a couple of minutes away and can and do turn out when required. There's a farm shop in the yard plus stabling and things running around so shooting there is out of the question. The farmer's good lady asked if I could do something as the songbirds kept hiding and quiet and a couple of customers had finally remarked on it. We set 4 Larsens in and around and in the first year had 128 'pies and the other birds then came out to play. Now it's about 25-30 a year.

Thinking out the box.

There is a plan 'B' worth experimenting with to get you and your 12ftlb rifle closer as you have plenty of spare time to practice the following at home. If I recall you have made a portable trailer hide? or if you can hide under a tarpaulin or camo net.

I think you still have one of my KwifFit NV rifle rigs? You can set the rifle up on a bipod - or maybe even a tripod - with just the front objective of the scope exposed and the 5" screen/battery/illuminator pod inside some hide netting. 

Or even, as it being daylight you wont need the illuminator on the rifle. Fit the KwikFit scope camera adaptor to the rear of the scope and the rest of the NV rig to a weaver rail fixed in a suitable eye level location within the hide using one of these extension cables from the scopes camera adaptor. Your white hand movements and white beard and hair will be totally concealed inside the hide.

With practice you can shoot around corners with that set up, oh, and the E700 camera has a colour setting in the menu to help with daylight use. :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331683590534?hash=item4d39e1f186:g:GrIAAOSwo0JWIVry&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsNaxMDHLvX5F5oKg5hkJRkXsr6Efh9nReaYWiZMNykE5bSXKt6GoiSAWEF7alA8bRwDdQkXYAr6KGZ5Bc97H81Ilf5eN15OrWa%2B0euRsHR7qUhv5CKMziKF4%2FgJxDaD5r8AuP4jXOpZesuk6G6WejfWNTR7B7nPLGp8blFc%2BgGCzgRxHK5b89cSpxpcdfS6jfRC1NhpiDUl%2F%2F7hmYVTbP3q3Eyvd1Tl9ElFtgiZzhXv0|tkp%3ABk9SR7rTw8WAYQ

Select a 1500mm or 2000 mm extension cable.

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

That's a shame. The fact that I'm in East Exmouth and the farms are West of Budleigh Salterton is what got me a load of free game shooting as I'm within a couple of minutes away and can and do turn out when required. There's a farm shop in the yard plus stabling and things running around so shooting there is out of the question. The farmer's good lady asked if I could do something as the songbirds kept hiding and quiet and a couple of customers had finally remarked on it. We set 4 Larsens in and around and in the first year had 128 'pies and the other birds then came out to play. Now it's about 25-30 a year.

Brilliant. What works works and that is what I am striving for. I have been very succesful in the past in keeping them under control but the expansion of the feed area of the farm has extended shots out to 75yrds potentially.  Larsens have been tried in the past but have not been succesful and as said need regular attention. Very frustrating when they are just a tad out of range to do a tidy job and that extra few yards with an FAC fits the bill and I don't have to flash Certificates etc in order to buy a box of 'heavies'.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-rifles/theoben/co2/20/220715145013001

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-rifles/falcon/pre-charged-pneumatic/22/220929143104004

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-rifles/ripley/pre-charged-pneumatic/22/elite-220907171414225

I've just looked on Guntrader, there really are some bargains advertised,  a Ripley for £200 think the Rapid was £380 and the Falcon was £200, you can't buy these guns at these prices in sub12, who wouldn't want a Ripley or Rapid at that money 🥰

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Waiting for upgrade from Firearms Licensing unit. It takes time.  Had a maggie sit on a post this morning at 75yrds very frustrating. 

I can almost hear the magpie chatter of I know your there and I know you can do naff all !

my letter is written just need a read and get it sent off !

Agriv8

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-rifles/theoben/co2/20/220715145013001

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-rifles/falcon/pre-charged-pneumatic/22/220929143104004

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-rifles/ripley/pre-charged-pneumatic/22/elite-220907171414225

I've just looked on Guntrader, there really are some bargains advertised,  a Ripley for £200 think the Rapid was £380 and the Falcon was £200, you can't buy these guns at these prices in sub12, who wouldn't want a Ripley or Rapid at that money 🥰

I wouldn't personally be putting n old gun that's hard to get spares for on my ticket .

I'd be buying new .with warranty. 

Never got the whole rapid thing, they are well built but then again so are cattle troughs. 

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I wouldn't personally be putting n old gun that's hard to get spares for on my ticket .

I'd be buying new .with warranty. 

Never got the whole rapid thing, they are well built but then again so are cattle troughs. 

I know what you mean, but if I was looking for a gun that's only going to shoot a few times a week then why not, Walker asked for something sensibly priced, buying new is far from cheap.

I might be tempted by a crown or 510 if I was buying new in fac going off what people say, but I'd be just as likely to to look second hand. 

My Rapid is still 100% original seals and all from new in the 90s, I could sell it for more than the original price after 20 years and easily get spares or have it serviced by several guys out there with great reps who have been doing it for years.

Who else can say this about a PCP ??

As a bove. I have a Mk2 S200 and it still does the job in spades.  I therefor will be tempted with another AA rifle but as said until the authorities come back with the OK little I can do.  I WILL be taking my HMR next time to the farmjust in case that one turns up again. I can convert it to a feather duster. 

As always on PW I do appreciate all the input.

I use my FAC Rapid.20 on Rabbits out 100 yards on a regular basis and it's very effective and quiet< most shots are 60 + yards, SO an FAC air rifle of any sort should fit the Bill.

I also have a .30 FX Bobcat FAC which I use on a Contract job for my mate, using a Xsight 4 k with ballistic calculator with the ABL unit shooting out to 120 yards no bother. I have .17hmr and .22lr but ones too noisy and the others too bouncy for this particular job, so the FAC Air rifle fits the bill.

Bought a new Kral Puncher Jumbo back in May for £550. In almost daily use for pest control. Adjustable power, but I run it full chat all the time..... jsb 18.13 @ 850ish ft/sec. 

Had several leaks on it, around the gauge and fill valve, too much hassle to take it back to the shop so I sorted them myself. Did have a problem with shifting zero, which turned out to be the barrel shroud not being fully tightened, easily sorted and haven't had any problems since. Not 100% happy with the scope rail. I have it zeroed at 40 yards, but all the scopes Ive tried are not far off the upper limit if they're elevation, not a major problem if you're using a bdc type reticle,  but if you wanted to dial, you'd have to fit adjustable mounts.

All in all,a solid gun for the money,that's shot a stack of vermin. I do like, it does eactly what I need, I just wouldn't say I love it.