First pigeon feeding on OSR

the hitman

Spotted the first flock of pigeons down feeding on winter rape today. I was surprised as there is an abundance of other food available and the mild weather.There is a huge acreage of OSR locally and this was the only field I seen with pigeons activity feeding. 

I am looking forward to this winter’s pigeon shooting opportunities. 

Not seen any on rape but have noticed a few more around various rape fields over the last 3-4 days.They must be starting to loose interest in the woods where they`ve been for a few weeks ! Plenty of backward patches of rape about which I think will be targeted as usual.

Two massive fields of OSR here 10" - 12" plus fields of just sprouting Winter Barley, lots of acorn on the ground plus sloe berries and others.

Flocks of pigeon appear to be formation flying in huge circles landing for 10 - 12 seconds and flying again whilst the crows have heads down on surface seeds and in the grain stores and piggery.

Picked 9 pigeon and 1 crow yesterday all pigeon crops empty.

Had a quick couple of recces at a few rape fields and there was a good number of birds doing crazy flights along a valley with a number of small and biggish woods along it, first they were dipping and diving around the woods then dropping into grass fields for ten minutes then they would lift off, fly like they had a hawk at their tail, then back to the woods, five minutes latter they were piling out of the trees and dropping into one of the rape fields for 20 minutes, then up they get again and do another crazy flight before landing back in the trees.

Think there's a lot of young birds amongst them flexing their wings and acting like a young puppy with loads of energy and playful flight.

9 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

In the past I’ve found that you can get migrating birds drop on a field for a few days then leave just as quick. Take advantage of the day they are feeding. I’ve been out twice so far after my summer break, birds on the field the days before and when we arrive and just leave.

Yes it’s very early for getting a decent bag on OSR locally- historically it’s well into next month.

I will need to be convinced of a steady line into a field of OSR over a few days before I will be setting up.