Log burner

Burney

I have a Cleaview in my kitchen (15x15) which is open plan to the rest of this old house. If the burner got any hotter we would be roasted.  Once running with properly dried logs (2yrs at least) then the airflow control has to be closed down to about a quarter .  It is a flat topped model and we cook on the top and there is a steel rolled top 6 inches above the log burner which is also very useful for keeping food warm.  Photo to follow.

We also have a smaller Clearview in the lounge which we only light if we have visitors or very rarely if the weather gets very cold.

We only use the oil  for heating water in the summer or when the big log burner isn;t working as that also has a back boiler.

I've got a cheapo ****** off the bay after burning out my Villager. In its third season and no problems to date. Burns extremely well and controllable.

Just now, 243ack said:

I've got a cheapo ****** off the bay after burning out my Villager. In its third season and no problems to date. Burns extremely well and controllable.

Wow - can't say clinky anymore.

To be fair there are a number of good stoves available on the market now and many have the airflow system devised by the young man at Clearview. 

Check your chimney and if necessary get it lined. Our kitchen chimeny was bulit around 400yrs ago and I had a guy come in and put a cement liner in it. Initially the old bricks started to leak a bit but once sealed we have had no problems. My big kitchen one also provides plentiful hot water.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And all of a sudden wood burners have become ever so popular!  

I'm having one fitted next week to supplement the GCH. I work from home so being able to heat one room for free while nobody else is home should save some pounds.

How long before they become taxed and/or legislated against for 'air pollution'?