Brexit again

12gauge82

16 hours ago, oowee said:

The beauty of the EU is the common standard

Oh do come off it, it's a continent of wildly varying cultures and standards.  Trying to impose a unilateral standard on things is a nonsense in most cases.

A considerable part of my day job is to do with implementation of various EU directives in, er, Germany.  They literally pick and choose when to implement them when it suits them, if at all.  You attempt to operate like that in the UK, you'd get closed down.

This is why the EU and the UK are incompatible at a fundamental level.  We have this notion of playing by the rules.  This means we implement 'directives', gold-plate them and enforce them with an iron fist, hiring a vast army of bureau-crates (sic) to do so.  In German, the word directive is actually translated as 'guide line', and taken into federal law as-and-when, after consultation with industry, of course.

Even now, post-Brexit, the UK government is geared to copy-and-pasting EU directives (and REACH regs!), and gilding them.  They can't help themselves.  Even where it makes sense to be in line with EU legislation, such as the machinery directive, the UK is hell-bent on being more stringent, and, at a stroke, out of step with the EU version.  You couldn't make it up.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Oh do come off it, it's a continent of wildly varying cultures and standards.  Trying to impose a unilateral standard on things is a nonsense in most cases.

A considerable part of my day job is to do with implementation of various EU directives in, er, Germany.  They literally pick and choose when to implement them when it suits them, if at all.  You attempt to operate like that in the UK, you'd get closed down.

This is why the EU and the UK are incompatible at a fundamental level.  We have this notion of playing by the rules.  This means we implement 'directives', gold-plate them and enforce them with an iron fist, hiring a vast army of bureau-crates (sic) to do so.  In German, the word directive is actually translated as 'guide line', and taken into federal law as-and-when, after consultation with industry, of course.

Even now, post-Brexit, the UK government is geared to copy-and-pasting EU directives (and REACH regs!), and gilding them.  They can't help themselves.  Even where it makes sense to be in line with EU legislation, such as the machinery directive, the UK is hell-bent on being more stringent, and, at a stroke, out of step with the EU version.  You couldn't make it up.

I concur with this - I last worked in Germany in 2009 for nearly 6 months. It was amazing that at Munich Airport I could have a cigarette in the departure lounge 30 seconds before getting on the plane - same for when arriving as well. I could also go into bars and smoke - as long as they had a sign saying that they permitted smoking. I don't know if the airports are like this still, but I do know that the bars are still like that.

Meanwhile in this country we take it to the extremes. 

I don't smoke anymore by the way - and I am just giving one example of the lunacy that @udderlyoffroad has written above

18 hours ago, Rewulf said:

The hilarious thing is , its exactly the same country driving it, look at their behaviour when we pulled out, theyve tried all kinds of tricks , short of blockading out ports to cause as much economic woe as possible.
Yet you get some on here sagely blaming the process of (pseudo) Brexit , rather than the EU causing the problems out of spite , hurting their own as well as ours.
Im not saying this ends in war (though nothing can be ruled  out) but we appear to be in an economic conflict , with a bunch of unelected fascists..again .

A couple I work for now and then built up their own veterinary business into an immunogenic products provider for horses, and sold their products all over the EU. Since Brexit they have encountered none co-operation, none communication on the part of officials, deliberately holding up their products ( which have a shelf life ) out of ‘sheer continental pigheadedness’ as his wife put it. 
They got sick and tired of all the chasing around of their products and so decided to retire and have recently sold their business to an Australian company who have retained the HO trained and qualified staff. 

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

It's now starting to look like the UK bonfire of directives will be more of a smoulder. With the recent cross party summit and now the NI discussions the outlook is better than it has been. Slowly slowly step by step.  :good:

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

It's now starting to look like the UK bonfire of directives will be more of a smoulder. With the recent cross party summit and now the NI discussions the outlook is better than it has been. Slowly slowly step by step.  :good:

You are a fifth columnist aren't you Grant??

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fifth column#:~:text=fifth column • \FIFTH-KAH,defense lines or national borders

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

My mate used to be middle manager in the Port Talbot steel works till he lost his job like so many others who worked there 

He would literally rant about the illegal subsidies, loans and tax breaks that Germany gave its steel industry. He hated them, with justification it appears. 

British Steel was a direct competitor to the German Steel industry and they systematically wiped us out with unfair competition 

Edited by Vince Green

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

British Steel was a direct competitor to the German Steel industry and they systematically wiped us out with unfair competition 

Not at all then Mrs Thatcher who promised a world leading theme park at Corby then as a "sop" to those made redundant when she oversaw the closure of the steelworks there announced in February 1979 that she could have reversed when she was elected in May of that same year?

Edited by enfieldspares

Germany has done what it likes from day 1 it runs the EU or has no one thought it? The whole plan was to make Germany the top industrial power with us treading water. Observing the EU rules created jobs to police the rules this is was the plan all along

On 17/02/2023 at 13:07, oowee said:

😁 Sunak and Starmer v's Johnson and the ERG?

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

On an intellectual level there isn't much hope for starmer and sunak in that contest. 

On a moral level, both of them have pledged to implement Brexit, but both are two faced liars. 

Be interesting to see how this one pans out. Its down to votes I guess if Sunak uses the labour vote to get through the dead lock he is toast. Its still Brexit but in a more conciliatory and trade favourable form. Maybe like momentum the ERG is no longer the force it was? The electorate is no doubt polarised but the centre is as always where the power lies.  

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/18/boris-johnson-threatens-rishi-sunaks-bid-to-end-deadlock-over-brexit

On 18/02/2023 at 20:02, armsid said:

Germany has done what it likes from day 1 it runs the EU or has no one thought it? The whole plan was to make Germany the top industrial power with us treading water. Observing the EU rules created jobs to police the rules this is was the plan all along

Yes look up the Red House meeting in 1944.

When it became apparent that Germany was losing the war plans were made to create the Fourth Reich as an economic and industrial super power. Recognising that the mistake they had made before was to try and do it through military power.

These plans are what evolved into the EU. It's all there in black and white, it's well documented. It's not like it's some conspiracy theory.