Belly pork

harrycatcat1

i have a pack of cheap tastless co-op belly pork in the freezer bought just for this recipe......warning ...go easy on the molasses or if you cant find that black strap treacle...and use molasses sugar...

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/boston-baked-beans-recipe

just the thing for a winters meal with a fork..:good:...........oh ...and after you have soaked the beans ..boil them for 15 mins....you can either do it (the recipe) in the oven or a slow cooker..

EDIT....leave the dijon mustard out...its rank...use powdered colmans

Edited by ditchman

nice cooked in cider and onions ...then lay the pork to one side and stir some cream into it :good:

you can also do an AWESOME sweet&sour served with rice and mange toutes.......

get some thick slices from the butcher and roast it in the oven skin up...with some fresh herbs.......

Sharp, very sharp, knife and score the rind to get good crackling. Rub salt on to the rind and let if get into those open scored cuts. Cover with parcel of foil to keep the moisture in and then place on a baking tray. When it in the oven leave the thing to cook wrapped until the last maybe twenty minutes when you turn the heat up, move the baking tray with two inch high sides to the top of the oven and take of that layer of foil to expose the rind. So as to make the crackling. Some baste with the fat that's come off. As to times and temperatures that depends on your oven so, as others say, do an internet search. Remove when cooked, allow to rest for a while, before slicing. Serve with apple sauce. Maybe a good full flavour mashed potato. It's a lovely meal and eats as good cold as it does when just from the oven.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

Sharp, very sharp, knife and score the rind to get good crackling. Rub salt on to the rind and let if get into those open scored cuts. Cover with parcel of foil to keep the moisture in and leave the thing to cook wrapped until the last maybe twenty minutes when you turn the heat up, move the baking tray to the top of the oven and take of that layer of foil to expose the rind. As to times and temperatures that depends on your oven so, as others say, do an internet search. Remove when cooked, allow to rest for a while, before slicing. Serve with apple sauce. Maybe a good full flavour mashed potato. It's a lovely meal and eats as good cold as it does when just from the oven.

thats using proper belly pork from the butcher.......the co-op stuff is insipid and has the rind removed

If you wish to make poor quality belly pork into something stunning. Remove the rind, simmer it in water for around half an hour until tender, cut into bite sized pieces, season with salt and pepper, dry off in a cool oven for an hour then roast for 20 minutes to make pork scratchings. Meanwhile weigh the meat you have left and rub in 2.5 to 3 % table salt (or I also like to use malvern smoked sea salt) place in a placcy bag, expel the air and put in the fridge for a week turning once a day to make some delicious dry cured bacon which you can then cut thickly and slow fry until crisp to go with your own free range eggs (if being in a polytunnel still counts as free range due to our current regulations).

1 hour ago, billytheghillie said:

Nail it onto a bit of decking, if you can find one, stain it with some wood stain, light fire under decking amongst the rubble, this will act as a bardie, cook for about a hour. Once done remove it onto serving plate, put ones bunnet on and tuck in. :good:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👏👏👏

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i have a pack of cheap tastless co-op belly pork in the freezer bought just for this recipe......warning ...go easy on the molasses or if you cant find that black strap treacle...and use molasses sugar...

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/boston-baked-beans-recipe

just the thing for a winters meal with a fork..:good:...........oh ...and after you have soaked the beans ..boil them for 15 mins....you can either do it (the recipe) in the oven or a slow cooker..

EDIT....leave the dijon mustard out...its rank...use powdered colmans

Just thinking about molasses is making me baulk, my parents used to think it was good for me as a kid that's left me with an aversion to it 😳😳😳😳

52 minutes ago, ditchman said:

nice cooked in cider and onions ...then lay the pork to one side and stir some cream into it :good:

you can also do an AWESOME sweet&sour served with rice and mange toutes.......

get some thick slices from the butcher and roast it in the oven skin up...with some fresh herbs.......

Sweat and sour sounds 👌 😋

I sear the belly pork all over in a frying pan, then I just chuck it in a slow oven on a bed of chopped onion and sliced mushrooms with a cup of water. After an hour, check the liquid level and don't let it dry out, cos that's the gravy.

2 hours ago, JKD said:

Does it now ???🤔😲🤣🤣🤣 Wouldn't fancy eating round your place 🤭😂

You don't know what's good for you 😉😉🤣🤣🤣👍👍

1 hour ago, amateur said:

I sear the belly pork all over in a frying pan, then I just chuck it in a slow oven on a bed of chopped onion and sliced mushrooms with a cup of water. After an hour, check the liquid level and don't let it dry out, cos that's the gravy.

Sounds 😋😋😋😋👍👍👍👍

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

You don't know what's good for you 😉😉🤣🤣🤣👍👍

I certainly do, and it doesn't include sweat of any sort 😝🤣🤣🤣

I remember trying pork belly years ago,,,, never again ta muchly 🤢🤮

Cut into  1/2 x 2" strips and deep fry until golden. Remove and cool.

Heat oil in wok, add slice baby sweet corn and unsalted cashew nuts. Return deep fried pork and add sweet chilli sauce. Serve with fried rice or noodle, bean sprouts and spring onion.

Egg noodles - soak dried noodle in a bowl of hot water until soft. Drain and run under cold water. drain until dry'ish. Add soy sauce and sesame seed oil (not too much) and leave over night in the fridge to absorb. Stir fry with spring onion and bean sprouts. 

4 hours ago, Penelope said:

Cut into  1/2 x 2" strips and deep fry until golden. Remove and cool.

Heat oil in wok, add slice baby sweet corn and unsalted cashew nuts. Return deep fried pork and add sweet chilli sauce. Serve with fried rice or noodle, bean sprouts and spring onion.

Egg noodles - soak dried noodle in a bowl of hot water until soft. Drain and run under cold water. drain until dry'ish. Add soy sauce and sesame seed oil (not too much) and leave over night in the fridge to absorb. Stir fry with spring onion and bean sprouts. 

Sounds delicious 😋 even JKD might try it 👍👍😋😋