Electric vehicle Fires

Yellow Bear

Well you wont see me in a leccie car, i tow a folding trailer tent and done some research on it. Charging, most bays at services, supermarkets only have space for vehicle. So i would need to unhitch trailer then go and recharge, meanwhile some thieving scum has nicked my trailer, which is parked in another bay. Leccie vehicles? PITA.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Nothing good or remotely green about electric cars, a total and utter ploy to get people off the road full stop.

This may help.

The Road to Zero estimated that in 2018 an EV car in the UK currently has total associated greenhouse gas emissions 66% lower than a petrol car and 60% lower than a diesel car. 

It also estimated that by 2050 emissions from UK electricity generation would fall by 90% because renewables will dominate generation, and that the emissions associated with EV use will fall in parallel. 

So are electric vehicles better for the environment?

The evidence says that they are. Locally, there's little doubt electric cars make our urban areas cleaner and quieter too. 

Once on the road, they’re also responsible for much lower emissions than cars powered by fossil fuels.

The challenge now is to further reduce the emissions produced through EV manufacturing and energy production.

As electric cars become more widespread, cleaner energy generation, better recycling schemes and improvements to battery technology are all needed before we feel the full benefit of their green potential.

I would be happy to switch to an ev truck equivalent to my 2004 l200 but I reckon the more years I can keep that running rather than switching to something newer saves the world a whole load of co2 emissions - plus the other major drawback is that I doubt I will ever be able to afford an ev.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

This may help.

The Road to Zero estimated that in 2018 an EV car in the UK currently has total associated greenhouse gas emissions 66% lower than a petrol car and 60% lower than a diesel car. 

It also estimated that by 2050 emissions from UK electricity generation would fall by 90% because renewables will dominate generation, and that the emissions associated with EV use will fall in parallel. 

So are electric vehicles better for the environment?

The evidence says that they are. Locally, there's little doubt electric cars make our urban areas cleaner and quieter too. 

Once on the road, they’re also responsible for much lower emissions than cars powered by fossil fuels.

The challenge now is to further reduce the emissions produced through EV manufacturing and energy production.

As electric cars become more widespread, cleaner energy generation, better recycling schemes and improvements to battery technology are all needed before we feel the full benefit of their green potential.

No mention of the mining of hundreds of tonnes of material to make a battery in some cases by children and the need for replacement, green my backside just like wind and solar power.

https://www.advanceaustralia.org.au/up_to_680_tonnes_of_earth_mined_to_produce_one_electric_vehicle_battery

Edited by Weihrauch17

7 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

No mention of the mining of hundreds of tonnes of material to make a battery in some cases by children and the need for replacement, green my backside just like wind and solar power.

https://www.advanceaustralia.org.au/up_to_680_tonnes_of_earth_mined_to_produce_one_electric_vehicle_battery

That's an impartial piece of reporting :lol:

Mining for minerals and metals was allowed in the co2 calculations (minus the children) which were for whole life production to disposal.

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

That's an impartial piece of reporting

Mining for minerals and metals was allowed in the co2 calculations (minus the children) which were for whole life production to disposal.

There are many articles quoting the same, that was picked at random.  As for charging you might have unlimited off road charging round your end, round mine the vast majority are terraced inhabited by people who can't afford 3k on a car never mind 30k plus on an EV that isn't green.  People care about being able to afford to live not the Green insanity being forced upon us.  Go and tell it to China, India and Russia.

Edited by Weihrauch17

Just now, Weihrauch17 said:

There are many articles quoting the same, that was picked at random.  As for charging you might have unlimited off road charging round your end, round mine the vast majority are terraced inhabited by people who can't afford 30k plus on an EV that isn't green.  People care about being able to afford to live not the Green insanity being forced upon us.  Go and tell it to China, India and Russia.

The evidence is clear that they are far greener than fossil fuel cars. Charging infrastructure here in the mendips is pretty much non existent except large employers and the supermarkets. That said there are many ev's as they don't need to go to get refueled. The cost looks high but effectively your purchase includes much of the fuel cost. 

I appreciate they are not for everyone. 

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

The evidence is clear that they are far greener than fossil fuel cars. Charging infrastructure here in the mendips is pretty much non existent except large employers and the supermarkets. That said there are many ev's as they don't need to go to get refueled. The cost looks high but effectively your purchase includes much of the fuel cost. 

I appreciate they are not for everyone. 

They are not for many but are being forced on everyone.

And if you have an insulin pump or heart pacemaker etc. you cannot go in one or drive or work near one due to the vibes given off learnt this on MOT Test refresher course 2 years ago also how would you power a boat like a cruise liner like Oowees For those of you interested look up ROAD RESEARCH LABORATORY 1961 and read about the 3 cars that drove 9 MILES BETWEEN NEWBURY AND READING M4 using electric power from a cable in the roadway and DRIVERLESS

27 minutes ago, armsid said:

And if you have an insulin pump or heart pacemaker etc. you cannot go in one or drive or work near one due to the vibes given off learnt this on MOT Test refresher course 2 years ago also how would you power a boat like a cruise liner like Oowees For those of you interested look up ROAD RESEARCH LABORATORY 1961 and read about the 3 cars that drove 9 MILES BETWEEN NEWBURY AND READING M4 using electric power from a cable in the roadway and DRIVERLESS

I worked on the strategy for ev's for the UK Govt with Oxford Uni, the OU Nissan and BMW including the launch of the first Nissan Leaf in Geneva. That car had a range of 100miles and captured huge media interest. One of the university team members came up with an advert for an ev from the 1900's that also had a range of 100 miles :lol: It looked like we were trying to reinvent the wheel. 

There is induction charging technology that can be put in the road surface to charge whilst your parked up. Same sort of thing as induction charging for phones. It can also go in the lane to charge whilst you drive but its not practical. 

16 hours ago, oowee said:

The average daily journey for a car is less than 24 miles. Most people can install a charging port and there is funding support to help with this. Most will never need to use an external charging point. 

The first cars were battery electric we are going full circle. 

Bulldust. Please don't take me for a fool. My overall average journey might be 24 miles too but I also do much longer journeys. I drove to SW London a few days ago. The very place you'd expect to see loads of EVs. After all it's a moneyed area so EVs are affordable and with the Mad Mullah as Mayor and his ever expanding ULEZ, you'd think EVs would be everywhere. Trouble is, not only are public charging points in very short supply (i.e virtually non existent), but a high proportion of the houses don't have off road parking, so consequently the only option is a fat cable draped across the pavement. Not exactly wheelchair, toddler or frail old person friendly, so it remains to be seen how long before the injury compensation claims start rolling in.

EVs are in every way the wrong solution.

EVs are perfect for the South East, M25 and city / town living.

"Of those surveyed, 75% commute less than 10 miles to work, with 20% commuting between 5 and 10 miles to work each day."

In the real world, it means of a two car household there will be one petrol / diesel car and one electric car.

My commute to work is 9.7 miles with dual carriageway and lots of traffic lights. I wouldn't change from driving electric now.

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

EVs are perfect for the South East, M25 and city / town living.

Okay I get the logic, but from what I see visiting SW London regularly where there are loads of late model cars everywhere, EVs are few and far between. Like I said above, it's probably the charging issues that limit take up. Strangely, there's much higher percentage of EVs in the largely working class country town where I live.

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Aye its frightening, driving around in your own mobile crematorium.  Dont think they have got the technology right yet. Meantime ill stick with my fossil fuel set of wheels.