Dragon staff walking stick

Shambam1962

After seeing the quality of walking sticks made by boo and Gamekeeper1960 and the other Pigeon Watch lads, I was inspired to have a go.

I cut the sticks 2 years ago and left them in the shed to season and decided to have a try.

My 1st thumb stick was a hazel shank and I was going to try a boo joint, but I chickened out and did a normal joint and was pleased with outcome.

The 2nd stick was a holly knob stick, withe bark removed on the shaft and stained with some left over walnut stain and 3 coats of yacht varnish.

After having a bit more confidence I decided to try and carve a dragon staff using a rasp and a few chisels and a Dremel tool.

This is the stick and is still being worked on at present and is hazel.

I had to remove the bark from the stick as the diameter was too big and needed to be shaved down to a better size.

I made the glass eyes as I couldn’t find oval glass eyes, and watched a video on YouTube of a lady showing how to make them.

I have loosely placed the eyes for the effect and they will be glued in when the stick is completed.

I plan to try and scorch the stick and then oil finish the stick, but this may change as time goes on.

I made lots of mistakes as I worked on the stick and changed my plans on numerous occasions, but it was a learning process and I would do things differently next time.

E0011EB4-CCE7-4249-8400-E0C558CF2E20.jpeg

A9996B97-31CD-440B-A20E-B299408021FC.jpeg

332BE5B5-1F5B-4A3F-8EBC-980EC0BD7EE5.jpeg

1F8F0038-239E-4031-9009-89CA441C6223.jpeg

59AEB1E4-42B1-4F60-8A7B-D5126D5F0C31.jpeg

Thank you all for your comments, and it’s a bit different.

I still have a lot more sanding to do and more detail to add.

I’m thinking of trying pyrogaphy (wood burning) on the handle and have watched Sue Walters on YouTube Burning Texture Series Part 6.

But will try on some off cuts of wood first, as I don’t want a long piece of charcoal.

My wife was a bit concerned when I ordered a few bottles of nail varnish and I explained it was to make dragon eyes, but I don’t think she was convinced until she saw the end result.

It has been therapeutic to make and I’ve picked it up and done a bit and put it down when things wasn’t going to plan.

Will post a picture when it’s finished.

3E28813F-56B6-435B-B8CA-5C2A09FCB757.png

E6ECD157-DB98-41FC-98A9-AEB23B0E13EE.png

D7B69E69-9CBC-4E04-A42A-92289A19BA5F.jpeg

Thank you Old Boggy, TIGHTCHOKE and Morkin for your great comments.

I was out yesterday with the dogs and on walking home, stopped off and cut a nice bundle of mixed sticks.

Had a nice selection of blackthorn, Holly and a few twisted hazel , so I have plenty for the next few years, to work on , once they are dry.

I have a few sticks drying in the shed which I cut last last year, and will try another project, once the dragon stick is completed.

I’m waiting on the Pyrography machine to arrive, so I can try it out and complete the stick.

I have looked back at the sticks made by PW members and I particularly like a Pink Footed Goose carved by holloway, and the colour burnt finish achieved.

I wouldn’t attempt to do a painted stick head as my painting skills are shocking, but I admire the skill and quality of work produced by Gamekeeper1960.

33 minutes ago, ditchman said:

those dragon horns ...are they part of the wood or are they antler prongs ?..set into the carving

I was thinking the same.

They look like antler points to me and are a nice touch.

Absolutely love that dragon and to see what you started with and how it’s looking now is really impressive, it seems you have a very natural flare and talent ,the pyrography will be a perfect finish I reckon. keep posted your stuff especially the before and after pictures they make an interesting and informative post (love those eyes as well perfect ! I didn’t even know you could make eyes like that )

Thanks holloway for your comments and it’s very much appreciated.

I have added more detail to the head, and I’m struggling with the Pyrograhy at present, and unable to control the test pieces from burning, due to the ferocity of the machine, even though it’s on the lowest setting.

I have decided to do a burnt finish and a few coats of Danish oil, so hope to post a photo of the finished piece, be it good or bad very soon.

I have also added a photo shot of the woman making dragon eyes on YouTube, which is worth watching, but she does ramble on a bit, but the end results are excellent.

9706AF66-5A78-4ED3-B680-56DB34FDE179.jpeg

89267447-F85E-456B-B94D-C111F9D4F0FE.jpeg

12DF9DD4-9138-4840-B280-98A42D55F6F0.jpeg

89B48929-CD15-4CE7-913A-B98CD51441D0.png

Thanks holloway for your comments.

I have a few sticks, which I cut last year in the shed, and I have a few wild rose briars, which I would like to use on a project.

What is rose briar, like to work with and what finish is used on the shank.

I cut 2 very nice rose briar root ball sticks yesterday, but they will take at least 18 months, before I can use them.

This is a photo of the head when scorched.

77FD69D3-CA95-451D-8B1B-388CAA6EFB07.jpeg