Boris's BBC loan

ditchman

all this squit about a £800,000 loan .............oooooohhhhhhhhh wot a lot of money...............................IS IT  ?................Mark Canvendish had 2 watches nicked from him valued at £700'000 quid........................how do  you earn that money riding a bloody push bike ?

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

all this squit about a £800,000 loan .............oooooohhhhhhhhh wot a lot of money...............................IS IT  ?................Mark Canvendish had 2 watches nicked from him valued at £700'000 quid........................how do  you earn that money riding a bloody push bike ?

Sponsorship gifts from the manufacturer. 

Makes the 007 bond (seiko? ) watches look pretty pathetic. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

*** on yer bike Simon , you just never know what riches being on the leather saddle could bring you :drinks:

14 hours ago, ditchman said:

By equaling Eddie Merck's Tour de France wins, for starts and for possibly being the greatest road sprinter of all time.

22 minutes ago, Penelope said:

By equaling Eddie Merck's Tour de France wins, for starts and for possibly being the greatest road sprinter of all time.

i know nothing about cycling....so i presume he has earnt his money thro endorsment of products ?

Any grown up will have some sympathy with Nadhim Zahawi.

I give my accountant access to everything and answer his questions and pay a shed load of tax in full each year, but do I know the ins and outs of everything? Did I check his calculations or advice? No, because I am not an accountant.

23 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Any grown up will have some sympathy with Nadhim Zahawi.

I give my accountant access to everything and answer his questions and pay a shed load of tax in full each year, but do I know the ins and outs of everything? Did I check his calculations or advice? No, because I am not an accountant.

The trouble is that it is you that is accountable - not the accountant that may have done a coke up

I had it - I wasn't happy with one - moved to another and asked (and paid) for them to review the previous ones work etc....They did. I then had an inspection and that found missing VAT from an invoice (previous accountant period) and I had to stump up with interest/charge - so I got let down by two seperate accountancies 😞

1 hour ago, discobob said:

The trouble is that it is you that is accountable - not the accountant that may have done a coke up

I had it - I wasn't happy with one - moved to another and asked (and paid) for them to review the previous ones work etc....They did. I then had an inspection and that found missing VAT from an invoice (previous accountant period) and I had to stump up with interest/charge - so I got let down by two seperate accountancies 😞

No, I get that, tax is a personal responsibility at all times and there's plenty of cases where wealthy people get a £10m tax bill going back 5 years and say "I gave my accountant the money and he said he'd paid you" to which HMRC respond "he hasn't and that's a you problem, not an us problem".

But that's why normal people use chartered accountants in a reasonable size firm and who come with professional indemnity insurance.

If HMRC pop up and say I owe them some money, well, tax will be what it will be and so I look at:

1. did I fail to tell the accountant something / give him the information (in which case it's on me)

2. did the accountant fail to do something (in which case it's on him)

But that said, as above, tax will be what it will be and so my loss will be any penalty / fine only, because the underlying sum due to HMRC was always going to be due and something which had to be paid.

It's the same meat but different gravy for Jimmy Carr. He probably threw £10m at his accountants and said "I want to keep as much of the money I earned as possible please" and they probably said "right you are". I doubt that JC then gave it a second thought. Indeed, it's rare for anyone to go to an accountant and say "I want to pay way more tax than I need to" and so most accountants will take it as read that you want to pay the least amount of tax possible whilst staying legal and out of prison.

I have a lot of sympathy with Nadim Zaharwi.  Some years ago I was accused by the revenue of 'mis declaring' some funds.  On investigation, I had declared everything but (it was a complex issue relating to some investments made under some business enterprise initiative scheme) had declared something they saw as income as a capital gain.  This would in theory possibly have gained extra tax free status (capital gains allowance) and avoided NI (which is charged in relation to income - but not capital gains). 

In fact, because I had already used up my capital gains allowance on other matters and in those days capital gains was charged at the same rate as your marginal income tax rate, I had paid the right amount of tax - but as the wrong type.  Similarly I had paid t  he full persons NI for the year (which was then capped) - so no more was owed there - and what I had paid was exactly right - just for the wrong reasons.  I and my accountant got a (minor) wrap on the knuckes!

Interestingly (several of us were in the same boat as we had all invested in the same offer from our employer) and other tax offices than mine saw it the way my accountant had!

The tax rules around some of the incentive schemes are extremely complex and different accountants and tax inspectors don't always see it the same way.

As has been stated, one employs accountants, to avoid situations such as this. They, after all, are the experts on these matters. If, and I say if, the accountants messed up, or Nadim Zaharwi had failed to disclose all relevant information, this is another matter entirely. As tax matters are confidential, I would like to know how the public got to be aware of the fact that he had paid a penalty.